PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Has David Miller "seen enough "?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Has David Miller "seen enough "?

Postby mustangxc » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:00 pm

tristatecoog wrote:Other than Sampson, which other coaches in the AAC would you take to replace Jank?


Gregg Marshall but everyone else is about the same or worse. Penny runs laps around Jankovich in recruiting, but what has that accomplished on the court? Hurley has a similar situation to Jankovich and has not really won at UConn yet. Ron Hunter may be a good coach, but he is just as big a question mark to date. Frank Haith is just as exasperating as Jankovich. Johnny Dawkins is about on par with Jankovich. Brian Gregory's trajectory is slightly worse than Jankovich. Same with Joe Dooley.
John Brannen may turnout to be a great coach but he is still a big question mark. Ditto Aaron Mckie.

However, given our administration really doesn't give a damn about character and reputation I am dumbfounded as to why we don't do everything possible to bring in Rick Pitino. He is a saint next to Travis Mays.
User avatar
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5803
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: San Juan, PR

Re: Has David Miller

Postby skyscraper » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:51 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
skyscraper wrote:I think Jank is gonna have to have a few more bad losses like tonight and ECU to get canned, unfortunately.

Unfortunately? That would actually, literally be the best thing that could happen to this program long term. If Jank is back next season, we’re just delaying the inevitable rebuild for another year.

Question: if you polled them, is there another fanbase in the AAC that would trade their basketball coach for Jank? USF maybe?


You are misreading my comments.
I already think he should be axed at the end of the year.
Unfortunately, I think there will have to be several more WTF losses for Miller and the AD to get rid of him. I have a bad feeling an NIT bid, which we are still likely to get at this point, will save him.
Image
User avatar
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5471
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:46 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: Has David Miller

Postby mustangxc » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:55 pm

skyscraper wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:
skyscraper wrote:I think Jank is gonna have to have a few more bad losses like tonight and ECU to get canned, unfortunately.

Unfortunately? That would actually, literally be the best thing that could happen to this program long term. If Jank is back next season, we’re just delaying the inevitable rebuild for another year.

Question: if you polled them, is there another fanbase in the AAC that would trade their basketball coach for Jank? USF maybe?


You are misreading my comments.
I already think he should be axed at the end of the year.
Unfortunately, I think there will have to be several more WTF losses for Miller and the AD to get rid of him. I have a bad feeling an NIT bid, which we are still likely to get at this point, will save him.


Right or wrong, you were the first person to say he should have been axed 2 or 3 years ago. I understood your comments as Jankovich should be fired period, but it will take several more bad losses to make a change. I agree with your point that it would take several more bad losses to make a change. As a result, I really hope we win as much as possible and at least make the NIT.
User avatar
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5803
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: San Juan, PR

Re: Has David Miller "seen enough "?

Postby tristatecoog » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:56 pm

Yep, Gregg Marshall is a hoss. UT would love to have him as well.

Pitino seems to be the only guy everyone goes to for LB like results. Only thing is what if he has already been contacted and isn’t interested? It’s one guy. Maybe the guy. What if Georgetown, Wake Forest, GW, Providence or other school thought the same thing? What was the hook that got Larry to come?

If Jank had beaten Tulane and then Tulsa etc. he could’ve gotten an extension, right? Still possible with NIT? Just saying it’s quite hard to get the coaching thing right. Certainly worth trying if you have the cash.
CoogFans.com
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2373
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Has David Miller "seen enough "?

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:24 am

tristatecoog wrote:Yep, Gregg Marshall is a hoss. UT would love to have him as well.

Pitino seems to be the only guy everyone goes to for LB like results. Only thing is what if he has already been contacted and isn’t interested? It’s one guy. Maybe the guy. What if Georgetown, Wake Forest, GW, Providence or other school thought the same thing? What was the hook that got Larry to come?

If Jank had beaten Tulane and then Tulsa etc. he could’ve gotten an extension, right? Still possible with NIT? Just saying it’s quite hard to get the coaching thing right. Certainly worth trying if you have the cash.



Please be assured nobody here has that kinda cheese.

“If wishes were horses then beggars would ride.”
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5998
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:58 am
Location: East Hampton, NY

Re: Has David Miller "seen enough "?

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:09 am

We had Dean Martin
User avatar
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 9703
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:17 pm

Re: Has David Miller "seen enough "?

Postby mustangxc » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:28 am

tristatecoog wrote:Yep, Gregg Marshall is a hoss. UT would love to have him as well.

Pitino seems to be the only guy everyone goes to for LB like results. Only thing is what if he has already been contacted and isn’t interested? It’s one guy. Maybe the guy. What if Georgetown, Wake Forest, GW, Providence or other school thought the same thing? What was the hook that got Larry to come?

If Jank had beaten Tulane and then Tulsa etc. he could’ve gotten an extension, right? Still possible with NIT? Just saying it’s quite hard to get the coaching thing right. Certainly worth trying if you have the cash.


Larry Brown came here because nobody else wanted him. The same applies to Rick Pitino. You simply had to pay Larry a commensurate salary, but he came and so would Pitino.
User avatar
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5803
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: San Juan, PR

Re: Has David Miller "seen enough "?

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:51 pm

Blown out by Tulsa, one more nail in Janks coffin.
User avatar
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 10429
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:01 am
Location: GARLAND

Re: Has David Miller "seen enough "?

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:54 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote:Blown out by Tulsa, one more nail in Janks coffin.


Wasn't that long ago that Memphis lost by 40 at Tulsa. They are a good home team and SMU is a lousy road team. Question is whether this SMU team can bounce back and beat both Memphis and Wichita State at Moody in front of the 1500?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 20468
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Stonebridge Golf Club, NC

Re: Has David Miller "seen enough "?

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:19 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
ALEX LIFESON wrote:Blown out by Tulsa, one more nail in Janks coffin.


Wasn't that long ago that Memphis lost by 40 at Tulsa. They are a good home team and SMU is a lousy road team. Question is whether this SMU team can bounce back and beat both Memphis and Wichita State at Moody in front of the 1500?


Question is, if they do, will anyone outside of the 1500 care?
User avatar
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 10429
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:01 am
Location: GARLAND

Re: Has David Miller "seen enough "?

Postby JasonB » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:03 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:
ALEX LIFESON wrote:Blown out by Tulsa, one more nail in Janks coffin.


Wasn't that long ago that Memphis lost by 40 at Tulsa. They are a good home team and SMU is a lousy road team. Question is whether this SMU team can bounce back and beat both Memphis and Wichita State at Moody in front of the 1500?


Question is, if they do, will anyone outside of the 1500 care?


I don't think it matters. I think Jank would have to just about lose out to lose his job. Expectations with this team this season were to finish top 5 and make the NIT, with an NCAA bid expected next season. They aren't going to pay 3M to remove a coach who wins 20 and makes it to the NIT. Next year if we don't make the tourney, the buyout is a lot lower and it make more sense that a move would be made at that time.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 6133
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2001 3:01 am
Location: Allen, Tx, USA

Re: Has David Miller "seen enough "?

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:04 pm

If this team loses out and finishes 18-13, I'd be surprised to see Jank survive, but I sure hope that isn't the way this season ends
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 20468
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Stonebridge Golf Club, NC

Re: Has David Miller "seen enough "?

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:12 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:If this team loses out and finishes 18-13, I'd be surprised to see Jank survive, but I sure hope that isn't the way this season ends

Unfortunately 18-13 won't surprise me now. So frustrating!!!

Hopefully things will turn around Tuesday night!
Shake It Off Moody
User avatar
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 15694
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2000 3:01 am
Location: The 214

Re: Has David Miller "seen enough "?

Postby Hop Sing » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:53 am

I think he will be the coach next next year no matter what hat happens. They don’t have the will or desire to fire a coach with a winning record and excuses for not being better unfortunately.
Hop Sing
Recruit
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:47 am

Re: Has David Miller "seen enough "?

Postby friarwolf » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:20 am

If they bring him back, that 3MM may look cheap. It will be back to the Doh days attendance-wise. I think it is likely Feron is gone, Mike doesn’t look thrilled, and we’ve still got a pathetic coach who can’t or won’t develop players. Whoever takes over after that better be a Brown clone. A smart athletic director would be looking 2 years down the road when re-alignment begins rearing it’s head. We need to be making ncaa appearances along with a dominant football program if we want to get any consideration come 2023. I doubt we have any chance but we should at least make someone think about it. Another year of Jank guarantees a dead basketball program. It took Brown 2 years to make the NIT and 3 for the ncaa’s and Doh left him some players........
friarwolf
Heisman
 
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:31 am

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests