PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

MBB vs. Connecticut game thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: MBB vs. Connecticut game thread

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:13 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:RespectImage

Aww, thanks for that. Love my pommies! You know, I once posted a clip from ESPN on Facebook and someone commented that my daughter always looked like she's having the time of her life. And while she loved cheering for the Mustangs, it is WORK. It's her job to look that way, even if the team is losing and she has midterms the next day and her hip is bothering her. These girls start with camp in July, have practice and workouts and game days all through football and basketball seasons, give up most of winter break and all of spring break, and perform and compete in March and April. And they don't get scholarships. Although it turns out she got to keep the boots after all!
User avatar
SMU Pom Mom
Varsity
 
Posts: 356
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:50 pm

Re: MBB vs. Connecticut game thread

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:14 pm

One final thought. Give our guys credit. Once they took the lead, they never gave it up and although UConn got close, they never were even to get back into a tie so bottom line is the guys did what they had to do to win this one. Very important to defend the home court.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 20477
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Stonebridge Golf Club, NC

Re: MBB vs. Connecticut game thread

Postby JasonB » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:15 pm

Man, do we panic in those last few minutes. Somehow made it through this game. Went small to close the game again. It would be nice to have someone who has the strength and patience to hold onto the ball int he last possessions and get a good shot instead of just forcing stuff up ho-ping for a foul.

Young team, and we sure do play young. Hard to watch. We need to run the table with all of these home games, but just don't see it happening until we learn how to play better defense. UConn scored 30 in the last ten minutes of the game. And they missed a lot of open shots early.

Don't look now, but but I bet you UConn finishes 9-9 or 10-8 in conference.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 6137
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2001 3:01 am
Location: Allen, Tx, USA

Re: MBB vs. Connecticut game thread

Postby Stallion » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:23 pm

Although Rachel played tonite for Tulsa he was scoreless-SMU heads to Tulsa in 10 days
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 44301
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2000 4:01 am
Location: Dallas,Texas,USA

Re: MBB vs. Connecticut game thread

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:20 am

Great night out good win . Love it when the Mustangs come out on top..Image
User avatar
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 9703
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:17 pm

Re: MBB vs. Connecticut game thread

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:39 am

Stallion wrote:So who had the great idea to take Kendic Davis off the Point with about 6-7 minutes to play. At least 4 possessions -nuthin' -and we don't score a basket for 3 minutes and UCONN cuts the lead to 4. Then in final 3 minutes Davis barely touches the ball-everybody dribbling-making wild passes. Get the god damn ball to Kendric Davis each and every possession. If Kendric is tired then call a timeout-better than the inevitable 8 point swings when the SMU offense stagnates while he is off the ball

Considering UCONN just beat then No. 1 Tulsa on the road before Rachal's injury and beat No. 2 Cincy last weekend-definitely a quality win but the breakdown down the stretch was ridiculous

SMU should be sitting pretty right now at 9-2 and 19-4 if they would learn who the best player on the Court is


Keep in mind that Kendric played the entire 40 minutes and UConn's strategy was clearly to try and prevent him from having the ball in his hands in the last 5 minutes. Combination of his being a little gassed and UConn trying to keep a fresh body pressuring him means other guys have to step up and last night it was Feron who came through. I think we can all agree we want the ball in Davis' hands but it's on Jank to manage guys minutes so this team can close strong...that's clearly been a challenge in conference play.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 20477
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Stonebridge Golf Club, NC

Re: MBB vs. Connecticut game thread

Postby PonyTime » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:56 am

One Trick Pony wrote:We made some noiseImage


Where did you get that shirt - awesome retro - SMU bookstore? Need to find one!
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

Image
User avatar
PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3508
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:01 am
Location: The Green Elephant

Re: MBB vs. Connecticut game thread

Postby digman52 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:52 am

At tip-off, I would say there were 2,500 there, but it later filled in to about 3,500. Fairly quiet crowd except for some really bad calls that got them riled up. There were a couple in the second half that made everyone want to storm the court. Then the last 4 minutes it was pretty loud for the group size there.

We just can't put 2 solid halves together. That 11-0 run when we were up by 15 was bad. Sloppy passing, and they just out hustled us. I was impressed with how much of a pressing style defense Uconn was able to sustain for long periods of time. We gave them way too many open 3's and back door layups.

Thanks goodness Feron was a beast last night. I wondered about the ball not in Davis's hands for a while, but didn't realize he never left the game.

Houston is going to be tough, but returned home last night to see them having to work hard to beat South Florida.
digman52
Scout Team
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:19 pm

Re: MBB vs. Connecticut game thread

Postby JasonB » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:57 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
Stallion wrote:So who had the great idea to take Kendic Davis off the Point with about 6-7 minutes to play. At least 4 possessions -nuthin' -and we don't score a basket for 3 minutes and UCONN cuts the lead to 4. Then in final 3 minutes Davis barely touches the ball-everybody dribbling-making wild passes. Get the god damn ball to Kendric Davis each and every possession. If Kendric is tired then call a timeout-better than the inevitable 8 point swings when the SMU offense stagnates while he is off the ball

Considering UCONN just beat then No. 1 Tulsa on the road before Rachal's injury and beat No. 2 Cincy last weekend-definitely a quality win but the breakdown down the stretch was ridiculous

SMU should be sitting pretty right now at 9-2 and 19-4 if they would learn who the best player on the Court is


Keep in mind that Kendric played the entire 40 minutes and UConn's strategy was clearly to try and prevent him from having the ball in his hands in the last 5 minutes. Combination of his being a little gassed and UConn trying to keep a fresh body pressuring him means other guys have to step up and last night it was Feron who came through. I think we can all agree we want the ball in Davis' hands but it's on Jank to manage guys minutes so this team can close strong...that's clearly been a challenge in conference play.


He actually went out for a couple possessions in the first half.

I think Jank kept him in expecting that we would extend the lead and he would get an extended rest. Every time we got up by double digits, we would commit some bad turnovers and give away a 6-0 run. Next year I think we close all these games out a lot better with more maturity.

We are one game behind Tulsa They have at least 3 losses on their schedule besides our game. We need to beat them and only have two more losses to finish third. The Houston game is all or nothing for us in a couple ways. Win that game, and we start creeping back into the bubble discussion and have a good shot at third place. Lose that game, and we are almost certainly out of the NCAA conversation and third place is difficult.

Memphis and Wichita both lose tonight, which will put us a full game up on Memphis and two on Wichita State. Getting both of them at home means we have a very good chance to end up 4th in the league.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 6137
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2001 3:01 am
Location: Allen, Tx, USA

Re: MBB vs. Connecticut game thread

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:14 am

PonyTime wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:We made some noiseImage


Where did you get that shirt - awesome retro - SMU bookstore? Need to find one!
I just asked my neighbor where he bought it he said he purchased it at rally house. there's one in Dallas and Arlington
User avatar
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 9703
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:17 pm

Re: MBB vs. Connecticut game thread

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:27 am

User avatar
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 9703
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:17 pm

Re: MBB vs. Connecticut game thread

Postby ponyboy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:40 am

Glad she got to keep the boots, Mom.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 12871
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2000 4:01 am
Location: University Park,TX US

Re: MBB vs. Connecticut game thread

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:35 pm

JasonB wrote:He actually went out for a couple possessions in the first half.



Every box score I've seen shows Kendric played 40 minutes, but I wasn't there so it's possible he did come out but may have been just before TV timeouts or something else that stopped play so he may have missed only 30 seconds of actual play? Bottom line is that coach needs to recognize when opponents are trying to take Kendric out of the game and spot him enough minutes to allow him to be the "go to" guy in closing minutes...especially when we know the other team is going to have to foul whoever has the ball.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 20477
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Stonebridge Golf Club, NC

Re: MBB vs. Connecticut game thread

Postby EastStang » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:13 pm

When I saw we had a 15 point lead, I went uh oh. I was at the Temple game and know what that meltdown looks like. I also noticed that when we had a chance to run off the clock, we didn't take full advantage of that on a couple of occasions. When you're up by 4 with 2 minutes to go, you use up some clock unless you have an uncontested layup.
"Student Athletes, so that's what you call your slaves" - Eric Cartman 2011
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 11012
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2002 4:01 am

Re: MBB vs. Connecticut game thread

Postby JasonB » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:25 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
JasonB wrote:He actually went out for a couple possessions in the first half.



Every box score I've seen shows Kendric played 40 minutes, but I wasn't there so it's possible he did come out but may have been just before TV timeouts or something else that stopped play so he may have missed only 30 seconds of actual play? Bottom line is that coach needs to recognize when opponents are trying to take Kendric out of the game and spot him enough minutes to allow him to be the "go to" guy in closing minutes...especially when we know the other team is going to have to foul whoever has the ball.


I know, they all say it. He must have been out for less than a minute of game time. We had CJ, Band, and Jolly out there for a small bit.

But I agree with you, need to rotate better (which we had been doing). That play in the firs thalf where Band was trying to force it to Kendric and turned the ball over was just awful.

We did a good job at the start of the second half of coming out and using Davis off the ball with Jolly or Band taking it up the floor.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 6137
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2001 3:01 am
Location: Allen, Tx, USA

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 23 guests