PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

From here.... 2/16/20

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

From here.... 2/16/20

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:41 am

If Jankistan goes 4-2 AND beats Tulsa the team is no worse than a 3 seed in Cowtown.

Can we win on the road, especially against the lower half of the conference? It’s essential.
Can we beat Tulsa in their house and guarantee a tie-breaker boost? Not essential but helpful.
Can we beat Memphis and WSU at home and help our net?

TULSA: has some cupcakes at home but goes to Temple, Houston and WSU. They are 3-3 at best, esp if SMU can take them up there.

WSU: at Cincy, SMU and Memphis. I think we can hold them off from here.

Memphis: They’re screwed! Still have two games with Houston, WSU at home, at SMU, Tulane at home and at UGONE today. They end up (most likely) at .500

Some major conference games down the stretch. Most interesting month of AAC hoops I can recall is just ahead.

Can Jankistan find a nuke?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: From here.... 2/16/20

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:06 am

Highly doubt our guys could do it, but what if they run the table...would that be enough to win the conference outright? Would that appease all the Jank haters? We know the answer is no because this team is not going to win the National Championship so there will be another loss. I just like the way the schedule sets up with 2 of our 3 toughest opponents having to come to Moody. This season has been a roller coaster ride but with the exception of a few blowout wins and losses it has been incredibly entertaining
Charleston Pony

Postby tristatecoog » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:29 am

Might just need to do what Larry never did. Win a game in the Big Dance.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Dukie » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:20 am

tristatecoog wrote:Might just need to do what Larry never did. Win a game in the Big Dance.

That would certainly do it. We’ll see.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:11 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:Some major conference games down the stretch. Most interesting month of AAC hoops I can recall is just ahead.

I love American basketball!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby BUS » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:31 am

Dilly, Dilly.
Just win the next one.
Repeat.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:28 pm

Road wins are hard to come by (see Cincy's OT win at ECU and remember they lost at Tulane earlier this year). We have a rough next 6 games with 4 of those on the road. I just hope we can win enough games to finish top 4 and get that 1st round bye in the tourney
Charleston Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:29 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Road wins are hard to come by (see Cincy's OT win at ECU and remember they lost at Tulane earlier this year). We have a rough next 6 games with 4 of those on the road. I just hope we can win enough games to finish top 4 and get that 1st round bye in the tourney

Memphis just took another hit and they still have a brutal schedule. They will not be top 4. We really control our own destiny as we have each of our competitors for the 3-4 spot ahead of us. That at Tulsa game is huge.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:36 pm

No question our guys have a huge opportunity ahead of them. Games with Tulsa, Memphis & Wichita State could dictate who among that group get the top 4 seeds along with Houston & Cincinnati (barring a complete collapse by those two). I expect our team to defend Moody but the question in my mind is whether they can win on the road.
Charleston Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:51 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:No question our guys have a huge opportunity ahead of them. Games with Tulsa, Memphis & Wichita State could dictate who among that group get the top 4 seeds along with Houston & Cincinnati (barring a complete collapse by those two). I expect our team to defend Moody but the question in my mind is whether they can win on the road.

It is really hard to win on the road in conference.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby JasonB » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:26 pm

This conference is nuts. I stated a lot of the scenarios in a different thread, but what you are leaving out in the initial post is that Houston has a hell of a schedule coming up.

I think Cincy wins the conference, Houston second and we are third. Wichita is catching fire, but have a really difficult schedule. Memphis is toast. We have a shot, but we are going to lose two of these road games.
JasonB

Return to Basketball