PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Where we sit in terms of NET and the tourney

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Where we sit in terms of NET and the tourney

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:11 pm

indianmustang wrote:they still think we make it
https://www.dratings.com/predictor/bracketology/

As a 4 seed no less; hope they are right but probably requires our guys to win both games at Moody this week and at least one on the Florida road trip
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby skyscraper » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:12 pm

I wonder what happens to our NIT chances if we keep sputtering and the AAC only lands one or two teams in the NCAA.
skyscraper

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:22 pm

I've been thinking all year that the AAC will put 6 teams in the NCAA/NIT but the way our teams are all beating each other up, it would not surprise me to see that number reduced to only 4 teams in the 2 most high profile post season tourneys. If that happens and SMU doesn't make the cut, the question becomes whether the powers that be would want to invest $50,000 to compete in the CBI to get more practices & games for this team (assuming everyone is coming back next year and those practices and games would be valuable...not unlike a random bowl game for the football team ?)

USF played in the CBI and actually won that tourney a couple of years ago under their new coach
Charleston Pony

Postby skyscraper » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:37 pm

Hart is on the record in past seasons saying SMU will not participate in the CBI/CIT. I would be surprised if that changed.
Here's an article from the end of 2018: https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-m ... n-nit-bid/
skyscraper

Postby SMU Section F » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:47 pm

We should not participate in any tournaments other than the NCAA or NIT, unless we're also going to cut back all expenses related to the basketball program and concede to sub-mediocrity. It's just not something competitive (or even semi-competitive) teams do.

I actually really enjoyed the CIT run in 2011, but we're hopefully still treading water above that level now.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby skyscraper » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:59 pm

Hart said CBI/CIT isn't the goal of the program and basically, he thinks we're kinda above that. It's the only thing basketball related in the past three years I've agreed with him on.
skyscraper

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:27 pm

skyscraper wrote:Hart said CBI/CIT isn't the goal of the program and basically, he thinks we're kinda above that. It's the only thing basketball related in the past three years I've agreed with him on.

Seems like a school selling season tickets based on being a peer school of Duke and Villanova we wouldn't even answer the call.

But then again if Rick thought he could make some more money on it who knows!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby JasonB » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:13 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
indianmustang wrote:they still think we make it
https://www.dratings.com/predictor/bracketology/

As a 4 seed no less; hope they are right but probably requires our guys to win both games at Moody this week and at least one on the Florida road trip

They also have Memphis as last 4 out and Wichita in the NCAA.

If you are of the opinion that we are a two team league for the NCAA, I can't imagine more than 3 in the NIT. We are going to have to finish ahead of Memphis and Wichita both in conference and in the tourney to make the NIT. We have to sweep these two home games or we have no shot at post season basketball.
JasonB

Previous

Return to Basketball