PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

I’m not asking for much...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

I’m not asking for much...

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:14 am

...I just want a head coach who cares, who wants to be here, and who is willing to put in the effort necessary to be successful. Things don’t always go as planned in sports or in life, but the one thing you can control is effort. Jank doesn’t care; his effort level in this job over the past four years has been laughably insufficient, he has to go. It’s one thing to lose, it’s another thing to not even try. This program has way too much potential to squander it all with a head coach who is completely checked out.

I repeat: JANK HAS TO GO
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: I’m not asking for much...

Postby Pony ^ » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:18 am

Lapboy Hart isn't going to fire Jank. Prepare yourself accordingly for at least another year of wasted talent/lack of recruiting.

Fire Hart.
Fire Jank.
Pony ^

Postby indianmustang » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:26 am

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... aches.html
he has the 3rd highest winning percentage at SMU
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby friarwolf » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:12 am

Take out the first year with Brown's players and what have you got???????
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:22 am

friarwolf wrote:Take out the first year with Brown's players and what have you got???????

Do that and it's actually a steady rebuild. My issue is the fact that we have not managed to beat the teams we should have defeated. We had the game against Georgia and choked late. We had the game at ECU and choked. We had a huge lead at Temple and choked. We never really challenged Tulane. We didn't even show up against Tulsa after the choke job at Tulane. That isn't just one game, that is now a pattern.
mustangxc

Postby friarwolf » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:44 am

After the gift from Brown's players that first year of 30 wins, his record is 17 wins, 15 wins, 18 wins with a ridiculous cupcake non-conf schedule this year. You are stretching. But I agree with your larger point, he is a marginal at best coach......
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:25 pm

I love the Consistent knock on Jank because his first year was with LB players. It’s absolutely true. He had LB’s players and had more wins during that season than LB had while he was here.

Jank will be the most successful coach other than LB this school has had since before Dement.

Duke is not our BBall peer school folks. Adjust and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:11 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:I love the Consistent knock on Jank because his first year was with LB players. It’s absolutely true. He had LB’s players and had more wins during that season than LB had while he was here.

Jank will be the most successful coach other than LB this school has had since before Dement.

If what you are saying is true, and I'm not arguing you are wrong, Hart should be fired ASAP for the re-seat debacle!
mustangxc

Postby JasonB » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:16 pm

mustangxc wrote:
friarwolf wrote:Take out the first year with Brown's players and what have you got???????

Do that and it's actually a steady rebuild. My issue is the fact that we have not managed to beat the teams we should have defeated. We had the game against Georgia and choked late. We had the game at ECU and choked. We had a huge lead at Temple and choked. We never really challenged Tulane. We didn't even show up against Tulsa after the choke job at Tulane. That isn't just one game, that is now a pattern.

Which is part of being a young team... and the young team thing is also part of the reason he did so well with LB's group - they grew up.

My biggest problem is the lack of defensive intensity on the team, which has been evident for each of the last three seasons. It was easy to say "practice" the last two years, but I'm not seeing the improvement I expected on that end of the court this season.

At the end of the day, if the defensive intensity doesn't improve, we will continue to get inconsistent results (especially on the road), and won't make the NCAAs next season. At that point, Jank is out.
JasonB

Postby Treadway21 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:29 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:I love the Consistent knock on Jank because his first year was with LB players. It’s absolutely true. He had LB’s players and had more wins during that season than LB had while he was here.

Is Baylor one of Duke’s peer group. They seem to be doing pretty well and their program had some pretty significant hurdles to overcome.

Message to SMU fans: accept mediocrity, know you place, and don’t complain.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:32 pm

mustangxc wrote:

If what you are saying is true, and I'm not arguing you are wrong, Hart should be fired ASAP for the re-seat debacle!

Oh Hart needs to go. That is undeniable in my opinion. he has show repeated serious lack of judgment and leadership.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:34 pm

Treadway21 wrote:

Is Baylor one of Duke’s peer group. They seem to be doing pretty well and their program had some pretty significant hurdles to overcome.

Message to SMU fans: accept mediocrity, know you place, and don’t complain.

No, Baylor is not a peer of Duke. They are having a good run right now. But that doesn't make you Duke, Kentucky, or NC.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:06 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:Duke is not our BBall peer school folks. Adjust and move on.

No one is saying that we are Duke’s peer; nice try though. I do think we should expect more than a 300+ non conference strength of schedule, a home and home series with Evansville, losing to Tulane and ECU and getting our doors blown off by Tulsa.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby PonyLaw90 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:28 pm

If Jank takes credit for the 30 wins his first season with a seasoned LB team and the AAC Player of the Year, then he has to accept that the team failed to win a game in the tournament. He drew up a play for Shake to take the final shot against USC when we had the biggest, baddest dude in the league itching for the shot.

This year, the team (whether from lack of talent or otherwise) hasn't grown or shown hardly any maturity. The last two games show that. Couple that with the cupcake out of conference schedule and its even worse.

I echo the comments that deal with his lack of engagement, commitment etc... outside of the basketball court. Maybe I'm missing a lot, but I don't see him promoting our program aside from the obvious TV interviews. LB was out canvassing like a young candidate.

I'm not excited about this team or the foreseeable future.
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby skyscraper » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:33 pm

It's interesting to see the people on this board rationalizing the joke of a job Jank has done the past few seasons. We are in the middle of what would be an epic collapse to end the season, and some are just like, well SMU shouldn't be THAT good anyways. That is a loser mindset. We have seen this program work when someone who cares is coaching.
skyscraper

Next

Return to Basketball