PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

I’m not asking for much...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: I’m not asking for much...

Postby mustangxc » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:19 pm

redpony wrote:
Mustangsabu wrote:

So a 20-win team doesn't belong in Division 1 BBall?

Actually no, when you consider that most of his OOC competition could be beaten by top class 5A high school teams. It was so obvious that he and the lapboy made up this schedule to keep him from losing his job.
I was under the impression that last year he had only two years remaining on his contract. Now people seem to think he has two more years. Considering how long he has been HC how many years did his contract have? Normal contracts are for 5 years yet he has already been here that long.
Those who keep referring to his buyout seem to fail to take into account that would be the maximum if he never coached again until his agmt has expired. Good example is HC Dykes. His prior school is paying the part of his contract that is not covered by us but it is far from the total amount of his buyout.

I guess you only consider power 5 teams deserving of division one. I'm glad you aren't in charge because there would be no March Madness.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby indianmustang » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:00 pm

We may talk if 20 wins are over good teams or whatnot,but after 1/2 years when people say 20 win teams,no one is going dig and say their 20 wins is not that great,same with bowl participation,we can say we played 5 times in bowls in last decade ,thats the most played in decade
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:56 pm

indianmustang wrote:We may talk if 20 wins are over good teams or whatnot,but after 1/2 years when people say 20 win teams,no one is going dig and say their 20 wins is not that great,same with bowl participation,we can say we played 5 times in bowls in last decade ,thats the most played in decade

Let’s hang a banner!

“Won 20 games in 2019-20”

Small, weak mindset. We should expect better.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby ponyboy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:54 am

Depends on who "we" is. If "we" means us fans then I'm going with jtstang's philosophy that we should have moderate expectations. If "we" means the people who actually have the power to do what it takes to get us to perennial Top 25 status, then I agree. That should be the goal.

I have a big question about whether beating a drum constantly to run a guy off really helps in the end. I really don't know. What is certain is that we shouldn't lower ourselves to personal attacks -- attacks that include attempts at reading a man's mind as to his motivations. As far as I can see, Tim Jankovich is a good man and a coach who's doing everything in his power to help us win. Not a popular take in this cancel culture, but there it is.

Go Mustangs
ponyboy

Postby skyscraper » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:18 pm

Jank clearly has not done everything in his power to win the past few years. If you believe that then you are woefully uninformed about how he has handled himself on the recruiting circuit.
A lot of strawman arguments in ponyboy's post.
It's OK to criticize a coach who intentionally created a soft schedule to save his job. He's probably gonna wind up pulling it off.
skyscraper

Postby Stallion » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:44 pm

Why does Jank get so many snide comments for losing at the Buzzer to USC at 30-5 playing an entire season with about 6 1/2 players (and another major player sitting on the bench in critical foul trouble) while Dykes has pretty much not taken any heat for getting bulldozed by something called Florida Atlantic missing 5 of their best players. Right now Jank has SMU in 4th in the AAC while the Football team in a "dream season" finished as the 5th rated team in the AAC
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby skyscraper » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:47 pm

Stallion wrote:Why does Jank get so many snide comments for losing at the Buzzer to USC at 30-5 plaing an entire season with about 6 1/2 players while Dykes has pretty much not taken any heat for getting bulldozed by something called Florida Atlantic missing 5 of their best players. Right now Jank has SMU in 4th in the AAC while the Football team in a "dream season" finished as the 5th rated team in the AAC

The poster (who had to flee the pay boards in shame) who screams about recruiting is defending Jank and going after Sonny (while still having a Chad quote in his footer). Bold move.
skyscraper

Postby PonyLaw90 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:11 pm

Stallion wrote:Why does Jank get so many snide comments for losing at the Buzzer to USC at 30-5 playing an entire season with about 6 1/2 players (and another major player sitting on the bench in critical foul trouble) while Dykes has pretty much not taken any heat for getting bulldozed by something called Florida Atlantic missing 5 of their best players. Right now Jank has SMU in 4th in the AAC while the Football team in a "dream season" finished as the 5th rated team in the AAC

His hair color is woefully unnatural.
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:27 pm

skyscraper wrote:
Stallion wrote:Why does Jank get so many snide comments for losing at the Buzzer to USC at 30-5 plaing an entire season with about 6 1/2 players while Dykes has pretty much not taken any heat for getting bulldozed by something called Florida Atlantic missing 5 of their best players. Right now Jank has SMU in 4th in the AAC while the Football team in a "dream season" finished as the 5th rated team in the AAC

The poster (who had to flee the pay boards in shame) who screams about recruiting is defending Jank and going after Sonny (while still having a Chad quote in his footer). Bold move.

Stallion is the consummate ‘Jimmies and Joes over X’s & O’s’ guy who repeatedly says our FB HCs can never adequately recruit due to the sparse Ford crowds.

Yet tankovich with Moody Madness gave us the following:

Nat Dixon - Not Ranked
Everett Ray - ranked 354
Byrce Cook - ranked 344
Darrius McBride - ranked 355
Jahmar Young - ranked 367
Curtis White - Not Ranked

Could you imagine his response if Bobby Collins produced such garbage after inheriting the Pony Express?

This has nothing to do with 1 game against a talented USC team.
SoCal_Pony

Postby mustangxc » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:43 pm

Yes, that's why I don't understand the Jankovich hate for flaming out in the first round of the NCAA tournament. Larry Brown did the same. The issue with Jankovich isn't even losing to ECU. The issue is losing to Georgia and ECU and Tulane and Temple and not being competitive against Tulsa. The issue was getting Feron Hunt and nothing else that recruiting cycle. The issue is keeping some of our players who cannot contribute anything on the court. The issue is not opening up some scholarships to add some meaningful pieces to the roster for next season.
mustangxc

Postby PonyTime » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:14 pm

mustangxc wrote:Larry Brown did the same.

As far as I am concerned, we won that UCLA game. That was the biggest rip off of the year. According to the rule, the ball had to have a reasonable chance of entering the rim - and it was not even close.

Larry had the D set to go and the D forced the shooter into an unmake-able 3 point shot which was not even close to going in. Should have been SMU rebound, up by 2 and Yannik at the line after he would be fouled by UCLA with seconds remaining. SMU vs. UAB would have been the next game.

I do not put Larry at fault at all - or Yannik M.

The team that played USC was an even more talented team - and we choked big time.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:14 pm

In fact, SMU's football program in the mid-1980s under Bobby Collins was going to be mediocre even if they hadn't gotten the last Death Penalty program because SMU recruiting was drastically heading south because of the multiple, prior probations. That's why SMU boosters doubled down in the 1984 class in a wild, out of control, buying spree recruiting players the coaching staff didn't even want.

All major probations have consequences over the longer term. They have brought down the top programs in the Country including OU(2), Alabama, Auburn(2), Clemson, Florida, Oklahoma St. Texas A&M, USC(2) and Oregon-all of them took major steps back for an extended period usually starting 2-4 years after the probation was imposed. I just think some you aren't accurately recognizing the effect of a major probation. It reduces the margin of error in recruiting and it made it inadvisable for SMU to recruit the transfers which have been the life-blood of the program-not to mention that top recruits don't want to sign with a program facing 3 years of probation and scholarships reductions which obviously is going to affect a team's competitiveness.

Larry Brown owns that probation which makes an analysis of Jank's tenure a little more complicated.

I still haven't made up my mind on Jank-I don't think he should be able to skate through if this team bottoms out. In the back of my mind I have had a number in mind all season which I've referenced several times that I think would guarantee his return-and that number has been about 22-24 wins and at least a 4th place AAC finish. If he doesn't reach that level then I think he should face some tough evaluation at the end of the season with foremost evaluation of his inability to beat 2 AAC midgets, blowing 19 points leads and going 1-6 on the road in conference. On the positive side he brought in outstanding recruiting class this year, is undefeated at home in the AAC has our program ahead of more reputable programs such as Memphis, UCONN, Wichita St and even Temple and despite what some of you guys think I believe the job he did with basically 6 healthy players in his first year at 30-5 was one of the best coaching jobs in SMU History

Finally, I believe the program is generally in a pretty healthy position after 3 years of probation with no Seniors, a nice SF from Cal coming in and really one outstanding big man from a nationally competitive program. In the Graduate Transfer environment -which might be wide open transfer market if NCAA passes pending reforms, I think it would be a big gamble to fire a popular coach when most of our best players are likely eligible to immediately transfer
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:07 pm

Stallion wrote:Why does Jank get so many snide comments for losing at the Buzzer to USC at 30-5 playing an entire season with about 6 1/2 players (and another major player sitting on the bench in critical foul trouble) while Dykes has pretty much not taken any heat for getting bulldozed by something called Florida Atlantic missing 5 of their best players. Right now Jank has SMU in 4th in the AAC while the Football team in a "dream season" finished as the 5th rated team in the AAC

Jank also had four NBA players on that team (plus Jarrey Foster). He inherited a stacked team and the talent level has plummeted since. He hasn’t tried in recruiting, he does literally nothing whatsoever to promote the program, and he’s nothing special as an in-game, Xs and Os coach. Why is anyone defending him?

Repeat after me: JANK MUST GO
East Coast Mustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:09 pm

ponyboy wrote:What is certain is that we shouldn't lower ourselves to personal attacks -- attacks that include attempts at reading a man's mind as to his motivations. As far as I can see, Tim Jankovich is a good man and a coach who's doing everything in his power to help us win. Not a popular take in this cancel culture, but there it is.

If you hired someone and paid them handsomely to do a job, and they rewarded you by putting in practically zero effort and constantly making excuses, what would you think of that person?
East Coast Mustang

Postby Hal » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:10 pm

And he has as many NCAA wins as LB had. Yes, they should have wins over UCLA and USC ... but don't.

He's no John Wooden, but it's not he's Shumate or Doherty, either.
Hal
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball