PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Great article about Sampson in the Athletic

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Great article about Sampson in the Athletic

Postby JasonB » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:34 am

[url][/url]https://theathletic.com/1638096/2020/02/27/ass-cheek-screens-popeyes-and-truth-telling-3-days-with-the-houston-cougars/[/url]

Wonderful article on how demanding he is of the team, on both ends of the court.

Comments in there about not settling for threes against Tulsa because that is what they want to do... about how disappointed he was with the defensive effort against SMU... inconsistancies of a young team... and about how they struggle to bring the defensive intensity to road games.

Lots of flashbacks to how demanding LB was at practice. That 30-5 year was a result of the team having the anvil lifted off of their shoulders and the offense opened up while still retaining those defensive fundamentals.

It is going to be interesting to see if Jank can be a hardass enough at practice to drive more consistent defensive results, or if he is too much of a "players coach" to ever see that transformation.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Great article about Sampson in the Athletic

Postby ponypatrick » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:34 pm

JasonB wrote:[url][/url]https://theathletic.com/1638096/2020/02/27/ass-cheek-screens-popeyes-and-truth-telling-3-days-with-the-houston-cougars/[/url]

Wonderful article on how demanding he is of the team, on both ends of the court.

Comments in there about not settling for threes against Tulsa because that is what they want to do... about how disappointed he was with the defensive effort against SMU... inconsistancies of a young team... and about how they struggle to bring the defensive intensity to road games.

Lots of flashbacks to how demanding LB was at practice. That 30-5 year was a result of the team having the anvil lifted off of their shoulders and the offense opened up while still retaining those defensive fundamentals.

It is going to be interesting to see if Jank can be a hardass enough at practice to drive more consistent defensive results, or if he is too much of a "players coach" to ever see that transformation.

LB and Jank successfully played "bad cop" ; "good cop" with the team , which was very successful.
Jank is still playing "good cop", but apparently doesn't have anyone playing "bad cop". Thus , the team is soft ,
undisciplined and plays spotty defense. You are dreaming if you think Jank has it in his DNA to demand
consistently tough "D" from his team.
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:04 am

ponypatrick wrote:
JasonB wrote:[url][/url]https://theathletic.com/1638096/2020/02/27/ass-cheek-screens-popeyes-and-truth-telling-3-days-with-the-houston-cougars/[/url]

LB and Jank successfully played "bad cop" ; "good cop" with the team , which was very successful.
Jank is still playing "good cop", but apparently doesn't have anyone playing "bad cop". Thus , the team is soft ,
undisciplined and plays spotty defense. You are dreaming if you think Jank has it in his DNA to demand
consistently tough "D" from his team.

I completely agree with the good cop/bad cop thing. 19-12 won't make the NIT.
JasonB

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:52 pm

JasonB wrote:It is going to be interesting to see if Jank can be a hardass enough at practice to drive more consistent defensive results, or if he is too much of a "players coach" to ever see that transformation.

I think we know the answer.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:19 am

Just compare Jank's post game presser after the WSU debacle to Sampson's post game after SMU hung on to beat Houston at Moody. No comparing the intensity of the two coaches and how demanding they are of their teams
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:48 pm

I didn't listen to Jank last night. Care to recap it?
mustangxc

Postby smupony94 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:13 pm

mustangxc wrote:I didn't listen to Jank last night. Care to recap it?

Sanctions and injuries for $1000 Alex
smupony94

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:14 pm

smupony94 wrote:

Haha
One Trick Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:13 pm

smupony94 wrote:

Pretty much...but "we don't want to make excuses"
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:19 am

So sanctions and injuries enable you to build a 24 point lead and then blow it? Great! I guess it's all good.
mustangxc

Postby Arkpony » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:23 am

I was thoroughly impressed by Sampson. Wish we had him. I like the guy!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Arkpony » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:23 am

I was thoroughly impressed by Sampson. Wish we had him. I like the guy!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Return to Basketball