PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

A 24 point blown lead. End this charade

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: A 24 point blown lead. End this charade

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:38 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:
Mustangsabu wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:I would much rather watch a team in total rebuild go 16-14 next year with a coach who cares and will actually put in effort rather than Jank and this team stumbled around and go 21-9 and make the NIT.
And who is that coach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just off the top of my head...

Kyle Keller at SFA
Grant McCasland at UNT
Steve Forbes at East Tennessee

There is no shortage of coaches who would take a job that pays seven figures with great facilities in a good conference. Oh and you get to live in Highland Park
And they’d be better? Interested? More successful in recruiting?

Maybe. But there are people who know more than me whose job it is to make those decisions. But we’ve had plenty of coaches in the past that suggest SMU is SMU. Not Duke.

Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hop Sing » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:39 am

Save your fingers boys, the eunuchs in charge aren’t going fire Jank this year. He has 19 wins with a shot at 20 and they are going to let the house burn down before they make a change. Sad thing is recruiting will be worthless in the last year of his contract, but we are doomed to live in Jankistan for another season. Marketing will put lipstick on this pig and hope for the best.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:57 am

redpony wrote:he should be gone!! IMO there is no valid reason they should not let him go at the end of the year. He was given a contract in March 2016. Normal contracts are for 5 years (especially in the beginning). That means next year would be the end of his contract.
Our AD and big bucks supporters of bball can't buy his last year out??
If he is here next year this disaster will continue and the financial losses to the school will be substantial because people don't want to watch garbage games. Next year I expect Moody will be almost totally empty.

My understanding is that he has 2 or 3 years left on the contract, and his buyout is over $3M. That isn't huge, but it also isn't chump change.

My expectation was top 4 and NIT this year, and top 2, NCAA next year.

It looks like we will underachieve for this season.

And I get the diatribe that we are a young team, but really Tulsa and Cincy are the only teams who graduate significantly this year. Memphis, WSU and Houston are going to be much better teams next season.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:58 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:
Mustangsabu wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:I would much rather watch a team in total rebuild go 16-14 next year with a coach who cares and will actually put in effort rather than Jank and this team stumbled around and go 21-9 and make the NIT.
And who is that coach?

Just off the top of my head...

Kyle Keller at SFA
Grant McCasland at UNT
Steve Forbes at East Tennessee

There is no shortage of coaches who would take a job that pays seven figures with great facilities in a good conference. Oh and you get to live in Highland Park

No way. We have a ton of top coaches interested in this gig. You have to bring name recognition to SMU to be successful. We won't settle for an up and comer when the next coach is brought in. It will be a known coach with a big rep.
JasonB

Postby PonyTime » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:10 am

Mustangsabu wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:And who is that coach?

Bryce Drew. 8 seasons as HC, 6 with post season appearances, 4 conference titles, 3 NCAA tournaments, One 30 win season. Was never really given a chance at Vandy and the SEC is a meat grinder of a schedule. He would do wonders with our program. Was just at Moody calling one of our games a month ago. His brother can obviously recruit well to a small private school in the middle of nowhere, Texas. Bryce convinced two 5 stars and a 4 star to head to Vandy, but never got the chance to remain to develop those players as they got chewed up by SEC schedule.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:34 am

JasonB wrote:My understanding is that he has 2 or 3 years left on the contract, and his buyout is over $3M. That isn't huge, but it also isn't chump change.

Jason, next season will be tank’s 5th as HC here.

Are you saying he initially signed a 6 or 7 year deal?????, given our rapid decline after Year 1, I can’t imagine they ever gave him an extension.

Giving someone a $3M buyout after 5 years seems like a poor negotiation on our part.
SoCal_Pony

Postby max the wonder dog » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:49 am

Hop Sing wrote:Save your fingers boys, the eunuchs in charge aren’t going fire Jank this year. He has 19 wins with a shot at 20 and they are going to let the house burn down before they make a change. Sad thing is recruiting will be worthless in the last year of his contract, but we are doomed to live in Jankistan for another season. Marketing will put lipstick on this pig and hope for the best.

Jank got help with a winning schedule by padding the preseason with Jacksonville State, New Orleans, Jackson State, Hartford, Abilene Christian, and Northwestern State.

Lots of talk about the cost of the buyout. What about the cost of falling attendance if he stays? In the later LB years and early Jank Moody was a sellout with 7,000. In 2017-18 attendance averaged 6,659. In 2018-19 it dropped to 5,770. Sunday's Wichita State game drew only 5,483 and the recent Memphis game just 5,200. The preseason chumps drew around 4,000 per game. Looks like we will average less than 5,000 this season.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:06 am

max the wonder dog wrote:
Hop Sing wrote:Save your fingers boys, the eunuchs in charge aren’t going fire Jank this year. He has 19 wins with a shot at 20 and they are going to let the house burn down before they make a change. Sad thing is recruiting will be worthless in the last year of his contract, but we are doomed to live in Jankistan for another season. Marketing will put lipstick on this pig and hope for the best.

Jank got help with a winning schedule by padding the preseason with Jacksonville State, New Orleans, Jackson State, Hartford, Abilene Christian, and Northwestern State.

Lots of talk about the cost of the buyout. What about the cost of falling attendance if he stays? In the later LB years and early Jank Moody was a sellout with 7,000. In 2017-18 attendance averaged 6,659. In 2018-19 it dropped to 5,770. Sunday's Wichita State game drew only 5,483 and the recent Memphis game just 5,200. The preseason chumps drew around 4,000 per game. Looks like we will average less than 5,000 this season.

Attendance will remain in the dumps until we get a competent AD.
mustangxc

Postby redpony » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:10 am

[quote="mustangxc"
Attendance will remain in the dumps until we get a competent AD.[/quote]

and that likely won't happen until we get a competent university president who views top quality sports teams as an important part of the university.
redpony

Postby ponypatrick » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:22 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:
And who is that coach?

To name a few :
Chris Jans @ NMSU
Grant McCasland @ UNT
Rick Stansbury @ WKU
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:28 pm

IMO: Grant McCasland can recruit and he can coach. Has a solid background. Solid record.
Bergermeister

Postby JasonB » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:36 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
JasonB wrote:My understanding is that he has 2 or 3 years left on the contract, and his buyout is over $3M. That isn't huge, but it also isn't chump change.

Jason, next season will be tank’s 5th as HC here.

Are you saying he initially signed a 6 or 7 year deal?????, given our rapid decline after Year 1, I can’t imagine they ever gave him an extension.

Giving someone a $3M buyout after 5 years seems like a poor negotiation on our part.

I dunno what the circumstances are. I just know it would cost around $3M this year and that he has a couple left.
JasonB

Postby JasonB » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:40 pm

ponypatrick wrote:
Mustangsabu wrote:
And who is that coach?

To name a few :
Chris Jans @ NMSU
Grant McCasland @ UNT
Rick Stansbury @ WKU

I'm going to take the UNT coach as an example - none of his recruits come close to the level SMU needs to be to compete on a national level. Not even close. You need someone who can pull in .89 and above rated players on a regular basis. His recruits are .86, about the same level as our bench.

Don't hire mediocrity to replace mediocrity. If/When SMU moves on from Jank, it needs to be a coach who has a track record of pulling in high level recruits.
JasonB

Postby PonyTime » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:08 pm

JasonB wrote:
Mustangsabu wrote:
And who is that coach?

To name a few :
Chris Jans @ NMSU
Grant McCasland @ UNT
Rick Stansbury @ WKU

I'm going to take the UNT coach as an example - none of his recruits come close to the level SMU needs to be to compete on a national level. Not even close. You need someone who can pull in .89 and above rated players on a regular basis. His recruits are .86, about the same level as our bench.

Don't hire mediocrity to replace mediocrity. If/When SMU moves on from Jank, it needs to be a coach who has a track record of pulling in high level recruits.

Agreed! We already have a former UNT head coach who is currently coaching our team.

Speaking of UNT basketball - I hear Keith Frazier has moved up from the Iraqi Superleague (I kid you not) to a team in Kosovo. At least he is making a living.

https://kosova.info/ylli-nderpret-bashkepunimin-me-basketbollistin-amerikan-frazier/
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:50 pm

JasonB wrote:I'm going to take the UNT coach as an example - none of his recruits come close to the level SMU needs to be to compete on a national level. Not even close. You need someone who can pull in .89 and above rated players on a regular basis. His recruits are .86, about the same level as our bench.

Come on, you’re better than this. UNT is a crap school in a crap conference with crap facilities and no fanbase, and McCasland is still recruiting there around Jank’s level. Give him the SMU job and salary pool for assistants and I guarantee he’d do much better than Jank on the recruiting trail. He is not a “mediocre” coach.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball