PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

A 24 point blown lead. End this charade

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: A 24 point blown lead. End this charade

Postby smupony94 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:18 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
JasonB wrote:I'm going to take the UNT coach as an example - none of his recruits come close to the level SMU needs to be to compete on a national level. Not even close. You need someone who can pull in .89 and above rated players on a regular basis. His recruits are .86, about the same level as our bench.

Don't hire mediocrity to replace mediocrity. If/When SMU moves on from Jank, it needs to be a coach who has a track record of pulling in high level recruits.

Come on, you’re better than this. UNT is a crap school in a crap conference with crap facilities and no fanbase, and McCasland is still recruiting there around Jank’s level. Give him the SMU job and salary pool for assistants and I guarantee he’d do much better than Jank on the recruiting trail. He is not a “mediocre” coach.

No more UNT coaches ie Jank
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:54 pm

JasonB wrote:I'm going to take the UNT coach as an example - none of his recruits come close to the level SMU needs to be to compete on a national level. Not even close. You need someone who can pull in .89 and above rated players on a regular basis. His recruits are .86, about the same level as our bench.

Don't hire mediocrity to replace mediocrity. If/When SMU moves on from Jank, it needs to be a coach who has a track record of pulling in high level recruits.

Come on, you’re better than this. UNT is a crap school in a crap conference with crap facilities and no fanbase, and McCasland is still recruiting there around Jank’s level. Give him the SMU job and salary pool for assistants and I guarantee he’d do much better than Jank on the recruiting trail. He is not a “mediocre” coach.

Technically, he is recruiting below Jank's level. Our recruits are higher regarded.

Who have we hired from a smaller school in basketball who came in and knocked it out of the park? There are a ton of coaches out there who want this job. Go get someone with a track record of recruiting high end recruits. That is your path to success.

If you go out and hire a coach without skins on the wall and without the right personality, you are going to end up with Dement and Jank results - above average in the league but can't quite get over the hump to compete for championships.

SMU has the right ingredients in place to make special things happen in both football and basketball. But you need a special coach to take advantage of it.
JasonB

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:20 pm

JasonB wrote:

Technically, he is recruiting below Jank's level. Our recruits are higher regarded.

Who have we hired from a smaller school in basketball who came in and knocked it out of the park? There are a ton of coaches out there who want this job. Go get someone with a track record of recruiting high end recruits. That is your path to success.

If you go out and hire a coach without skins on the wall and without the right personality, you are going to end up with Dement and Jank results - above average in the league but can't quite get over the hump to compete for championships.

SMU has the right ingredients in place to make special things happen in both football and basketball. But you need a special coach to take advantage of it.

You’re being disingenuous. Comparing McCasland and Jank’s recruiting is like saying a hard-working mechanic who lands Miss Indiana doesn’t have as good of game as the fat slob heir to a fortune who lands Miss Arizona because the latter’ s girl is slightly more attractive.

Re: smaller school coaches...so I guess you would’ve passed on Chris Beard at UALR? And Gregg Marshall at Winthrop? And Bruce Pearl at UW-Milwaukee? I’m not against an “established” coach—anyone would be better than Jank. But who do you have in mind? I’d love someone like Beilein (who wouldn’t?) but he should have plenty on suitors in a few weeks if he wants to get back to coaching. Who else? Jeff van Gundy? I think Rick Pitino is a non-starter pretty much anywhere.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby PonyLaw90 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:41 am

LB showed us the promise land and what was possible. We know SMU and Moody can be a special place. Let’s stop farting around and make the call : Rick Pitino. He’s got 7-8 years left and can drastically change the course we’re on. He’s The Godfather II.
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby redpony » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:59 am

P-law; totally agree. Bring on Rick P. and let's get this sinking ship righted.
redpony

Postby mustangxc » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:29 am

At this point embrace who we are, lawyer up, and make the call. Rick Pitino is the right man for the job.
mustangxc

Postby PonyTime » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:46 am

PonyLaw90 wrote:LB showed us the promise land and what was possible. We know SMU and Moody can be a special place. Let’s stop farting around and make the call : Rick Pitino. He’s got 7-8 years left and can drastically change the course we’re on. He’s The Godfather II.

And the Godfather II was actually better than the original (IMO).

Consigliere up and make the call.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:48 am

I'm saying that we have enough coaches interested in this job that we don't have to take the risk of "he might be able to recruit at a higher level at a better program".

Our history at SMU is that zero coaches have come in here and recruited at a higher level than they did previously. I wouldn't bet the future of the program on that fact changing.

There are also other options out there beyond Pitino. Everyone's list is going to be different by the time we are looking next year, anyway.
JasonB

Postby EastStang » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:28 am

Pitino really??? Do you want another death penalty? We'd inherit Louisville's sins just because the NCAA didn't give them what they deserved. We'd have NCAA investigators camped out on our campus non-stop and if they couldn't get Pitino, then they'd take aim Sonny Dykes.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:52 am

Yeah Pitino he would fit perfectly
One Trick Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:22 am

I like the Pitino idea and after all, the AAC is all about 2nd chances for name coaches, right? Even Doh, who we learned couldn't coach, came here with a name and brought the recruits that formed the foundation that turned the corner for this program. Remember the baggage that Sampson brought to Houston? That's turned out pretty well for them.
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:32 am

One Trick Pony wrote:Yeah Pitino he would fit perfectly

Not asking him to bring the woman with him.

We need someone who has experienced Moody Magic first hand and knows how it can be.
1-800-GET-RICK
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby PonyTime » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:39 am

Second chance coaches...

Tark took Fresno to the NCAAs or NIT every one of his 7 seasons at Fresno State.

Bobby Knight took Tech to 4 NCAA tourneys in 6 years in Lubbock.

Steve Fisher took SDSU to the NCAA or NIT for 11 consecutive years from 2005-16

Bruce Pearl has turned Auburn hoops around and taken them from cellar of SEC to what will be 3 consecutive NCAA trips.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:40 am

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamzagori ... 0ea9945ba2

How much did LB cost? How much would Pitino cost?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:47 am

tristatecoog wrote:https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamzagoria/2019/08/02/jamal-mashburn-sr-says-rick-pitino-deserves-to-coach-again-but-it-has-to-be-the-perfect-fit/#3f0ea9945ba2

How much did LB cost? How much would Pitino cost?

An A.D. (and University President) with Stones? Not sure about that, but I'd like to think SMU has enough wealthy friends of the program that salary would not be an issue. My concern is that Pitino would reach out to L.B. for his thoughts and not sure Coach Brown would endorse SMU as a school that really is committed to compete at the highest level
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball