PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

A 24 point blown lead. End this charade

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: A 24 point blown lead. End this charade

Postby skyscraper » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:24 pm

Rick winning AD of the year weeks after the ladies bball story comes out and the men's program has been bled dry of energy the last two seasons by his money-grubbing re-seat.
Irony isn't dead.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby redpony » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:31 pm

maybe somebody paid them for him to get the award in hopes another school would 'lure' him away. aren't conspiracy theories fun?? :)
redpony

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:36 pm

RGT signed off on Larry Brown. We just built an IPF on some of the most prized real estate on campus — please stop questioning his commitment to athletics.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Hop Sing » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:22 pm

Slick Rick would definitely pack Moody again and warrant the higher seat prices, but I don’t think SMU has the cajones for it
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Hop Sing » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:27 pm

I’m all for it though, and yes Mustangabu, anybody is better than Jank. Great coaches are great from the beginning. It’s not a talent you acquire after 20+ years of mediocrity.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:59 am

Hop Sing wrote:I’m all for it though, and yes Mustangabu, anybody is better than Jank. Great coaches are great from the beginning. It’s not a talent you acquire after 20+ years of mediocrity.

"anybody" is NOT better than Jank.

https://www.coachesdatabase.com/smu-mus ... asketball/

There are a lot of losing records on that list. Tubbs wasn't an upgrade over Dement. Dohrety wasn't an upgrade over Tubbs.

SMU has the opportunity to be very successful in basketball, but it takes the right coach to do it. SMU is NOT a "plug and play" program.
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:47 am

Doherty proved to be a very mediocre coach, but the man recruited well especially considering the state of the SMU basketball program when he took over. The next coach is going to have to recruit well because this "young" team is about to lose all it's best players in just 2 years
Charleston Pony

Postby Shetland » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:11 am

I am 50/50 Jank getting ousted. If he get to 20 and an NIT (away game now) and I don't think there is anyway he is fired. If he does leave the only person I could see transfering leaving is Hunt. Jolly, Davis transferred in. There is no way they would get a waiver and no way they want to sit out another year.

I know everyone wants Douglas to leave, but he is too smart. He wants an SMU degree. And unless the school finds some way to give him a scholarship I don't think it is right to run him off. LB ran kids off with an option to finish at the school with a scholarship just not for basketball.

I do think there is a strong possibility Ray is going to retire which would at least give us a scholarship for next year. This team needs a rim protector badly. Think what a Yanik type or even a Bamba Fall would do for this defense.

Biggest mistake Jank made was going with Maxey's dad and not going hiring Cannen who even without his brother would be an asset to the program. Prior to getting the OSU gig, I'd seen him at half the Football games with Manuel.
Shetland
Scout Team

Postby friarwolf » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:32 am

mustangxc wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:
tristatecoog wrote:https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamzagoria/2019/08/02/jamal-mashburn-sr-says-rick-pitino-deserves-to-coach-again-but-it-has-to-be-the-perfect-fit/#3f0ea9945ba2

How much did LB cost? How much would Pitino cost?

An A.D. (and University President) with Stones? Not sure about that, but I'd like to think SMU has enough wealthy friends of the program that salary would not be an issue. My concern is that Pitino would reach out to L.B. for his thoughts and not sure Coach Brown would endorse SMU as a school that really is committed to compete at the highest level

I think he would take it into account but ultimately accept the job. Not a difficult decision when you are out of options like Larry was and Rick is now.

Brown would endorse. He has told people he really regrets screwing up his gig here.........
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby PonyTime » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:07 am

friarwolf wrote:
mustangxc wrote:
tristatecoog wrote:https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamzagoria/2019/08/02/jamal-mashburn-sr-says-rick-pitino-deserves-to-coach-again-but-it-has-to-be-the-perfect-fit/#3f0ea9945ba2

An A.D. (and University President) with Stones? Not sure about that, but I'd like to think SMU has enough wealthy friends of the program that salary would not be an issue. My concern is that Pitino would reach out to L.B. for his thoughts and not sure Coach Brown would endorse SMU as a school that really is committed to compete at the highest level

I think he would take it into account but ultimately accept the job. Not a difficult decision when you are out of options like Larry was and Rick is now.

Brown would endorse. He has told people he really regrets screwing up his gig here.........

If that is the case ^^^^ then just re-hire Larry and move Jank one seat down the bench for the remainder of his contract.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:09 am

PonyTime wrote:
friarwolf wrote:
mustangxc wrote:[quote="tristatecoog"]https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamzagoria/2019/08/02/jamal-mashburn-sr-says-rick-pitino-deserves-to-coach-again-but-it-has-to-be-the-perfect-fit/#3f0ea9945ba2

If that is the case ^^^^ then just re-hire Larry and move Jank one seat down the bench for the remainder of his contract.[/quote]Probably too many egos on the hilltop for that.
One Trick Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:36 am

Shetland wrote:I am 50/50 Jank getting ousted. If he get to 20 and an NIT (away game now) and I don't think there is anyway he is fired. If he does leave the only person I could see transfering leaving is Hunt. Jolly, Davis transferred in. There is no way they would get a waiver and no way they want to sit out another year.

I know everyone wants Douglas to leave, but he is too smart. He wants an SMU degree. And unless the school finds some way to give him a scholarship I don't think it is right to run him off. LB ran kids off with an option to finish at the school with a scholarship just not for basketball.

I do think there is a strong possibility Ray is going to retire which would at least give us a scholarship for next year. This team needs a rim protector badly. Think what a Yanik type or even a Bamba Fall would do for this defense.

Biggest mistake Jank made was going with Maxey's dad and not going hiring Cannen who even without his brother would be an asset to the program. Prior to getting the OSU gig, I'd seen him at half the Football games with Manuel.

Memphis Doug played 17 minutes in 3 non-conference games so he might qualify for a RS this season and could transfer with 2 years of eligibility left...if he's put in enough time to earn an undergrad degree he could leave as a grad transfer? I agree that Ray should be a medical retirement at this point so there could be some roster changes next season, but I don't follow this closely enough to know whether Jank and this staff are even working on those possibilities. I would hope the powers that be are well aware of any future plans. Completely agree on the Maxey and Cannen comments. Jank just doesn't have the skins to close like L.B. could
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:39 am

friarwolf wrote:Brown would endorse. He has told people he really regrets screwing up his gig here.........

And Pitino saw 1st hand the potential SMU has. Sure wish we could get him in here. Add a few key pieces to the talent coming back next year and it could be an immediate turnaround!
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:41 am

It makes too much sense so I guess it won't happen.
mustangxc

Postby Arkpony » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:53 am

Hiring Pitino would effect a immediate resurgence of interest in SMU nationally and greatly increase ticket sales. It also mean we had a nationally recognized coach who had the ability to coach and recruit. But alas........
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball