PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

A 24 point blown lead. End this charade

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: A 24 point blown lead. End this charade

Postby redpony » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:05 pm

Arkpony wrote:Hiring Pitino would effect a immediate resurgence of interest in SMU nationally and greatly increase ticket sales. It also mean we had a nationally recognized coach who had the ability to coach and recruit. But alas........

YES!!
but alas it seems like we are all hat and no cattle.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hop Sing » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:28 pm

JasonB wrote:
Hop Sing wrote:I’m all for it though, and yes Mustangabu, anybody is better than Jank. Great coaches are great from the beginning. It’s not a talent you acquire after 20+ years of mediocrity.

"anybody" is NOT better than Jank.

https://www.coachesdatabase.com/smu-mus ... asketball/

There are a lot of losing records on that list. Tubbs wasn't an upgrade over Dement. Dohrety wasn't an upgrade over Tubbs.

SMU has the opportunity to be very successful in basketball, but it takes the right coach to do it. SMU is NOT a "plug and play" program.

Dement, Tubbs and Doherty didn't have the current commitment to basketball or the New Moody to recruit to. SMU was also in [deleted] poor conferences during their tenures. Anyone could have taken what Brown handed them and squandered it just like Jank.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:16 pm

Hop Sing wrote:
JasonB wrote:
Hop Sing wrote:I’m all for it though, and yes Mustangabu, anybody is better than Jank. Great coaches are great from the beginning. It’s not a talent you acquire after 20+ years of mediocrity.

"anybody" is NOT better than Jank.

https://www.coachesdatabase.com/smu-mus ... asketball/

There are a lot of losing records on that list. Tubbs wasn't an upgrade over Dement. Dohrety wasn't an upgrade over Tubbs.

SMU has the opportunity to be very successful in basketball, but it takes the right coach to do it. SMU is NOT a "plug and play" program.

Dement, Tubbs and Doherty didn't have the current commitment to basketball or the New Moody to recruit to. SMU was also in [deleted] poor conferences during their tenures. Anyone could have taken what Brown handed them and squandered it just like Jank.

Those three didn't have the commitment level, for sure. But they also wouldn't have pulled in high level players. I want a coach that has a history of pulling in some .89+ recruit.
JasonB

Postby LexLen » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:22 pm

I see SMU were on the bubble after the houston game.

Has this taken away the chances?

2 wins against FL teams not do it?
LexLen

Postby mustangxc » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:24 pm

Win both games in Florida and we are likely back on the bubble. NIT bubble that is.
mustangxc

Postby JasonB » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:09 pm

Top 2/3 will go to NCAA. We won't finish there unless we win the conference tourney.

We need to finish top 5 in the league to get the the NIT.
JasonB

Postby Hop Sing » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:33 pm

Those three didn't have the commitment level, for sure. But they also wouldn't have pulled in high level players. I want a coach that has a history of pulling in some .89+ recruit.

Doherty could have recruited well with New Moody, but I completely agree with you on getting a PROVEN recruiter/winner. We’ve gone from the best back to mediocre and it sucks.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Previous

Return to Basketball