PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

AAC Championship Tournament

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: AAC Championship Tournament

Postby FriscoPMG » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:09 pm

Based on W-L record, someone out there thinks we have the best coach in the tournament...

AMERICAN
Dates: March 12-15.

Top seed: Cincinnati (11). The Bearcats won the tiebreakers with fellow champions Tulsa and Houston.

Dark horse: Wichita State. The fourth-seeded Shockers have won six of their last eight and could catch Cincinnati in the semifinals. The Bearcats beat Wichita twice during the season, but by a combined four points. Gregg Marshall’s team seems due to turn the tables on Cincy.

In the NCAA tournament: Houston.

Bubble teams: Wichita State, Cincinnati, Memphis. Everyone else needs to win this tourney.

Best tourney coach: SMU’s Tim Jankovich is the only coach in this field who has won an AAC tournament, having done it in 2017. His record in this tourney is 5-2.

Worst tourney coach: Houston’s Kelvin Sampson has a 71-37 AAC regular-season record but is just 5-5 in the tournament, and has never won this tourney.

Player to watch: Memphis’ Precious Achiuwa comes in averaging 15.5 points, 10.6 rebounds and 1.9 blocked shots, but check the numbers from his last three games: 20.3 points, 17.3 boards and three blocks.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/03/09/conference-tournament-predictions-march-madness?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SI%20Extra%20031020&utm_term=SI%20Extra%20-%20USE%20THIS%20-%20List
FriscoPMG
All-American

Postby SMU Section F » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:15 pm

FriscoPMG wrote:Based on W-L record, someone out there thinks we have the best coach in the tournament...
Best tourney coach: SMU’s Tim Jankovich is the only coach in this field who has won an AAC tournament, having done it in 2017. His record in this tourney is 5-2.

lol Somebody's writing articles based purely on information they can Google... the best (tournament) coach is absolutely Gregg Marshall and there is no way that Kelvin Sampson is the worst.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby Arkpony » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:17 pm

Yank is still treading water based on LB’s players.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:20 pm

Go Owls! Put us out of our misery!
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Terry Webster » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:49 pm

FriscoPMG wrote:Based on W-L record, someone out there thinks we have the best coach in the tournament...

AMERICAN
Dates: March 12-15.

Top seed: Cincinnati (11). The Bearcats won the tiebreakers with fellow champions Tulsa and Houston.

Dark horse: Wichita State. The fourth-seeded Shockers have won six of their last eight and could catch Cincinnati in the semifinals. The Bearcats beat Wichita twice during the season, but by a combined four points. Gregg Marshall’s team seems due to turn the tables on Cincy.

Interesting that this has Memphis as a dark horse but leaves Tulsa, one of the three tied for first left off completely. Also, the Cinci guy up here started speculating what would happen if the aac pulled an Ivy league and cancelled the tourney...who is in? Who is out?

In the NCAA tournament: Houston.

Bubble teams: Wichita State, Cincinnati, Memphis. Everyone else needs to win this tourney.

Worst tourney coach: Houston’s Kelvin Sampson has a 71-37 AAC regular-season record but is just 5-5 in the tournament, and has never won this tourney.

Player to watch: Memphis’ Precious Achiuwa comes in averaging 15.5 points, 10.6 rebounds and 1.9 blocked shots, but check the numbers from his last three games: 20.3 points, 17.3 boards and three blocks.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/03/09/conference-tournament-predictions-march-madness?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SI%20Extra%20031020&utm_term=SI%20Extra%20-%20USE%20THIS%20-%20List
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hop Sing » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:02 pm

You can buy tickets fo $5 and it’s a one hour drive and I have zero interest in going. I flew to Fresno when we were in the WAC, and I went to Memphis for 3 tournaments. I hate not caring but it is what it is.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:34 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:Go Owls! Put us out of our misery!

Shame on you.
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:40 am

SMU Pom Mom wrote:

Shame on you.
If you don't quote him I can't see him - click.
One Trick Pony

Postby PonyTime » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:58 am

SMU Pom Mom wrote:

Shame on you.

I think ECM is figuring that a loss to Temple will lead to Jank being fired. I am not so sure about that.

I want SMU to win the whole damn thing. But if that is not going to happen and a loss to Temple would guarantee change, I am all for that too.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby angryfan04 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:35 am

How miserable would ECM be if SMU won the conference tourney?
angryfan04
Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:53 am

I know I would be ecstatic if we won the conference tournament and made it back to the NCAA tournament. Unfortunately I would wake up a minute later realizing we blew a 30 point lead against Temple to crash out.
mustangxc

Postby horsemanx » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:53 am

angryfan04 wrote:How miserable would ECM be if SMU won the conference tourney?

We would never know since he would disappear until we lost our NCAA opener.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:04 am

5 floor seats left under the basket MoFos come on over and support your team.Image
One Trick Pony

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:01 am

thinking about it just for some Joe T's

Saw SMU has a free student bus, that's good
Pony ^

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:34 am

Pony ^ wrote:thinking about it just for some Joe T's

Saw SMU has a free student bus, that's good
I'm on the aisle seat at the bottom and I would like to point out they serve beer.
One Trick Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball