PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

FIRE JANKOVICH NOW

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: FIRE JANKOVICH NOW

Postby mustangxc » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:33 pm

If Rick Hart wasn’t a moron we’d have a new coach tonight.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby TidePony » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:34 pm

Extremely frustrating game! It’s time to move on with our program.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby mtrout » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:51 pm

We really did snatch defeat from the jaws of victory tonight
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:38 am

I watched maybe the 1st 10 minutes and was pretty disappointed with our sloppy play. Poor spacing, poor ball movement and just a lot of one on one with too many forced shots. Was surprised to see this a.m. that we actually had a big lead but what little I saw was pretty ugly. Looks like what I saw early continued throughout the game, i.e., Missouri was bigger and more aggressive on the boards and had multiple shot opportunities compared to our guys. Just like @ Oregon, this team struggles against taller opponents

I think we all assume this is a make or break season for Jank with NCAA or bust being the goal. Last night's loss was a killer because we don't play any quality non-conference opponents meaning we will have to upset Houston or Memphis in Moody and be very successful vs the rest of the AAC. I will be surprised if that happens
Charleston Pony

Postby redpony » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:15 am

TidePony wrote:Extremely frustrating game! It’s time to move on with our program.

we have been saying that for a couple of years now. nothing but crickets from our inept a.d.. maybe after we lose SD the admin with search for a new lapboy.
redpony

Postby mustangxc » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:23 am

Charleston Pony wrote:I watched maybe the 1st 10 minutes and was pretty disappointed with our sloppy play. Poor spacing, poor ball movement and just a lot of one on one with too many forced shots. Was surprised to see this a.m. that we actually had a big lead but what little I saw was pretty ugly. Looks like what I saw early continued throughout the game, i.e., Missouri was bigger and more aggressive on the boards and had multiple shot opportunities compared to our guys. Just like @ Oregon, this team struggles against taller opponents

I think we all assume this is a make or break season for Jank with NCAA or bust being the goal. Last night's loss was a killer because we don't play any quality non-conference opponents meaning we will have to upset Houston or Memphis in Moody and be very successful vs the rest of the AAC. I will be surprised if that happens

The offense has no plan. They literally just dribble for 10 seconds try to iso, but don't even provide space and at the last second launch a contested ugly 3. If not, they drive to the rim with no plan trying to force a foul but end up losing the ball out of bounds or to an offensive foul. On defense, we miss out on rebounds and when we do get them we don't secure the basketball, tipping it out of bounds. We don't defend, we don't rebound, we don't hustle, we don't share the basketball, we don't even have a plan. Too often down the stretch, KD didn't even touch the ball!!! Our best player, best ball handler, best shooter, best everything wasn't even involved in many of our plays! How could someone be the top assistant to Larry Brown for several years and not learn anything??? I wish I could say he is a great recruiter but he doesn't even do that well.
mustangxc

Postby mustangxc » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:44 pm

Fire him now! No need to wait for the game to end! This team is a major embarrassment.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:58 pm

mustangxc wrote:Fire him now! No need to wait for the game to end! This team is a major embarrassment.

Jank will be fired at the end of this season and we will have just 6 returning players at best, so it looks like it will be a total rebuild for basketball. Hopefully this team will be competitive at Moody against the weak non-conference opponents we have coming in and will at least be able to beat our fellow "lower level" AAC opponents in Moody. Weak schedule should provide for a slightly better than .500 finish on the season, but after this weekend I'm not even confident of that.
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:03 pm

Hopefully this team is bad everywhere! If they are competitive at Moody, Hart might give him an extension. We already are out of the NCAA tournament even with a pair of wins against Houston and Memphis. The only chance is if we win the conference tournament. Even if we do that I would still fire Jankovich. He has proven to be a terrible coach. How stupid do you have to be to be the top assistant under a top 10 all time coach and not learn a damn thing? He doesn't even recruit well and isn't a big SMU cheerleader. He has to go and so does Rick Hart. This feels like the end of the Dement era all over again with the players completely out of control with no plan.
mustangxc

Postby mustangxc » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:16 pm

Jankovich has been terrible for so long that nobody else is around with the pitchforks! Thanks to the moron Hart we have no remaining fans so nobody really cares at this point that we suck!
mustangxc

Postby p1nyfan2021 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:27 pm

If Jank goes down, take Hart down with him

Time to long-press the athletics power button.
"No one comes to Texas for Fort Worth"

#JusticeForCincy
p1nyfan2021

Postby GHammond » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:22 pm

Jank’s mentors list reads like a who’s who of all time great coaches…you would think he would gain something from all of that…not sure he is the brightest bulb?
GHammond
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:58 am

There's no quick adjustments to the adjustments. He went to zone and when Missouri started draining threes he was slow to go back to man to man. The first half in that game was ugly. Both sides throwing the ball away. Yet, we did nothing to change our approach to dealing with the Tigers. We kept doing the same stuff that wasn't working. We are not real tall. So, I am not as upset about lack of rebounding. When you're giving up 3-5 inches, you can't expect to block out every time. That said, when you have a layup, you shouldn't miss even when the other guy is taller than you. Reverse layups, dunks, off the glass shots, need to be in any forward's arsenal. This needs to be coached as they are skills that are learned. Hasn't happened. Free throws, my gosh. The free throw shooting was awful including missing front ends of one and ones in a close game. They should be running yo, yos for a week after that following by intense free throw shooting. If you miss, you run another yo yo. These guys make the kinds of mistakes that badly coached teams make. Not being in place when a man dribbles into the paint for a kick out shot. Not being set to take a kickout shot. Shooting off balance. The list goes on. These were two very winnable games. But like last year no lead is safe in the second half.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

FIRE JANKOVICH NOW

Postby geezerdonk » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:23 pm

This is a long established pattern - build a lead against an inferior team and then quit and collapse when the opponent rallies late. How many times did this happen last year? How could anyone be surprised?
Get ready for a lot more of this; a whole lot more. And just wait until Memphis and Houston get ahold of them. Women and children will be banned from the games.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Previous

Return to Basketball