PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

FIRE JANKOVICH NOW

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: FIRE JANKOVICH NOW

Postby smitty329 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:10 am

Silk wrote:
redpony wrote:Ikus- don't totally disagree with you but IIRC LB had a little baggage as well. Main point- we need a coach who can win and bring us back to the top. If he has a little baggage then so be it.

You're both right. Also, SMU could have re-signed LB but chose not to. Whether it was dollars, length of contract, the baggage, who knows? Even if LB showed up and said he'd work for half his former salary, I can't imagine him getting the job.

And it was the absolute right decision - case in point - where has he coached since leaving SMU? The godfather has lost his touch, even in Italy.
On June 12, 2018, Brown accepted the proposal of Auxilium Torino to become the new head coach of the Italian basketball club of the Lega Basket Serie A (LBA).[35] On June 17, he officially became new head coach of Torino.[36] He was fired midseason on December 27 with the team's record at just 5–19.
smitty329
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:03 am

Bergermeister wrote:Go get Grant McCasland. Zero baggage. Knows Texas recruiting inside and out. Excellent resume. This program is stuck in neutral/reverse. We need to get it going AGAIN. Not gonna happen with the current regime.

Who knows how much he "learned" from Drew at Baylor but so far no baggage and might indeed be a good choice. Golding at Abilene Christian is another possible up and comer coaching nearby and both are relatively young in their mid-40's. McCasland clearly has the stronger resume but if Jank is let go and no "splash hire" is possible, I like the idea of going with a younger guy who might put together a staff that includes some young successful recruiters (not unlike what Sonny is doing with his staff)
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangnation » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:06 am

John Belein should be the number one target
mustangnation
Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:58 am

Belein got to witness Moody at its best so he might be interested.
mustangxc

Postby CA Mustang » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:23 pm

mustangnation wrote:John Belein should be the number one target

mustangxc wrote:Belein got to witness Moody at its best so he might be interested.

I agree he would be an excellent option. The only questions are:
1. What other options does he have? Is the SMU job more attractive than say Boston College, Iowa State, Minnesota and/or Penn State?
2. What are his salary demands and is SMU prepared to meet them?
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Glenn Sosbee » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:31 pm

Janks for nuthin. Can we move on now???
Pony P-1
Glenn Sosbee
All-American

Postby mtrout » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:35 pm

smitty329 wrote:
Silk wrote:
redpony wrote:Ikus- don't totally disagree with you but IIRC LB had a little baggage as well. Main point- we need a coach who can win and bring us back to the top. If he has a little baggage then so be it.

You're both right. Also, SMU could have re-signed LB but chose not to. Whether it was dollars, length of contract, the baggage, who knows? Even if LB showed up and said he'd work for half his former salary, I can't imagine him getting the job.

And it was the absolute right decision - case in point - where has he coached since leaving SMU? The godfather has lost his touch, even in Italy.
On June 12, 2018, Brown accepted the proposal of Auxilium Torino to become the new head coach of the Italian basketball club of the Lega Basket Serie A (LBA).[35] On June 17, he officially became new head coach of Torino.[36] He was fired midseason on December 27 with the team's record at just 5–19.

Come on lol. Dissing LB... Now I’ve heard it all. That was, by far, the peak SMU athletics experience in the past 35 years. Possibly forever. #baggagebro
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:32 am

Are these available now at the bookstore?

C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:29 am

wishful thinking. this admin is totally happy with poor/mediocre performance. no money support for a winning program. watch what happens when they have to ante up for SD and the other fb coaches when they get to the top.
redpony

Postby mustangxc » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:48 am

I agree redpony. I don't believe SMU is truly committed to excellence in anything so my guess is we keep Jankovich and possibly extend his contract.
mustangxc

Postby redpony » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:09 am

m-xc , sadly this attitude of only being mediocre extends beyond sports. i.e. we used to have one of the top law schools in the south. Now it is hardly a shell of what it used to be. We had an opportunity to hire a new dean at the business school who could have worked to make it competitive with other top business schools but instead we hire a retread from a second-tier MAC school.
Of course all of this has happened with RGT at the helm. At least with Pye only sports would have suffered.
redpony

Postby JasonB » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:24 am

redpony wrote:wishful thinking. this admin is totally happy with poor/mediocre performance. no money support for a winning program. watch what happens when they have to ante up for SD and the other fb coaches when they get to the top.

I totally disagree. They have invested heavily into the football program and have seen the return on the investment. They invested heavily in basketball and saw a return.

The only reason Jank sticks around is if no alumni step up to pay the buyout.
JasonB

Postby redpony » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:42 am

Jason- they were seeing a return on their bball investment until our mental hernia of an AD decided to run off all of the loyal fans. IMO- since then I doubt if there has been any positive return. In spite of nat. gas prices being up very substantially since last April Idoubt if there will be any changes. Perhaps they should change name to southern mediocrity u.
redpony

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:36 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:Are these available now at the bookstore?

Is there one for Little Ricky?
ALEX LIFESON

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:54 pm

Maybe we can get UNT’s coach...he can at least win a game in the tournament.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball