PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

FIRE JANKOVICH NOW

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: FIRE JANKOVICH NOW

Postby redpony » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:22 pm

[quote="Charleston Pony"]We might not be "big time" but Pitino saw 1st hand what Moody and SMU can be

and of course that was years ago. tank-ovid lived off of the success and players LB
had until his luck ran out. Then we saw the truth in his coaching ability but nobody cared enough to make a change. would not surprise me if little ricky gave him new contract. Obviously nobody involved with the bball program cares enough to make a change. mediocrity at its best.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Glenn Sosbee » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:00 pm

Jank has been a great ambassador for SMU and is a Mustang through and through.
Unfortunately it didn’t work out. I wish Jank nothing but the best the rest of his coaching career but it should not and cannot be here.
We need to move on and so does he.
Pony P-1
Glenn Sosbee
All-American

Postby okcponyfan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:41 pm

Glenn Sosbee wrote:Jank has been a great ambassador for SMU and is a Mustang through and through.

Did you not see the picture of him wearing KU garb a year or so ago while the headcoach? How is that being a great ambassador?
okcponyfan
Varsity

Postby solomouse » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:26 am

As a slightly educated guess, the horns will show us what it means to be mediocre....
solomouse
Varsity

Postby redpony » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:44 am

however, when the whorens become mediocre they actually do something like replace the coach. i.e. fball and Tom Herman. meanwhile our AD sits around pondering his navel.
redpony

Postby solomouse » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:17 pm

That is what I meant
solomouse
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:36 pm

The question is always, do you jump out of the frying pan and land in the fire? We have a lot to offer, but we also have some negatives. We lucked out with Larry Brown for a couple of years. But during that search we were seeing a lot of toaster leavings. Will Texas dump Smart? Will the UNT or Abilene Christian coach be looking at greener pastures and are we going to get out bid. Is Maryland going to dump Turgeon (former Aggie coach)? Lots of reasons to bide our time and watch for the right fit to be out there. Jank is okay, not a world beater. With him, we'll have a good, not great program.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:15 pm

Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:08 am

solomouse wrote:As a slightly educated guess, the horns will show us what it means to be mediocre....

Sure looks like it...
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:21 am

UT coming after Jank to replace Shaka?
Bergermeister

Postby CA Mustang » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:32 am

Bergermeister wrote:UT coming after Jank to replace Shaka?

I presumed he'd be more interested in the OU job, but who knows? Maybe other openings will lead to the change we seek!
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:35 am

Well, it looks like Shaka Smart is going to Marquette and UT will go after Chris Beard. If that happens, it at least makes Texas Tech less appealing and one fewer obstacle in recruiting. Jankovich going to OU or Texas Tech would be a great scenario for Jank and SMU.
mustangxc

Postby Terry Webster » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:01 pm

It is about to get messier at UC. The president and ad are going to investigate allegations against the coach.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:54 pm

mustangxc wrote:Well, it looks like Shaka Smart is going to Marquette and UT will go after Chris Beard. If that happens, it at least makes Texas Tech less appealing and one fewer obstacle in recruiting. Jankovich going to OU or Texas Tech would be a great scenario for Jank and SMU.

I can't imagine anyone coming after Jank no matter how far the musical chairs game goes. I'm waiting for someone to hire Pitino away from Iona before all is settled. Meanwhile, Jank & staff need to find forwards and all I see is guards being recruited. Maybe Liddell from Texas will transfer to SMU. I thought they recruited him pretty hard out of H.S. but it certainly appears the roster will be down graded from Chargois and Hunt
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:42 pm

Arkansas was dumb enough to give the Tempocopter a huge contract based on nothing at SMU so I would be less surprised if some AD saw the 30 win season as a sign of what he could do at a higher caliber program.
mustangxc

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball