PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

FIRE JANKOVICH NOW

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: FIRE JANKOVICH NOW

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:02 am

Charleston Pony wrote:This is yet another test for the powers that be at SMU...if they truly care about competing at the highest level, this decision is a no brainer!

This one is right on the money! How this epic fail gets “handled” this month will tell you everything you need to know about this program going forward.

I’m a big believer that Friday the 13th will be a lucky day this month.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:00 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:This is yet another test for the powers that be at SMU...if they truly care about competing at the highest level, this decision is a no brainer!

This one is right on the money! How this epic fail gets “handled” this month will tell you everything you need to know about this program going forward.

I’m a big believer that Friday the 13th will be a lucky day this month.

Friday the 13th has actually been a pretty lucky day for me through the years.

Of course, rather than SMU announcing Jank is gone and shortly thereafter announcing that Ric Pitino is taking over, it might just mean that this team wins a quarterfinal game after having won an opening round game. That would set us up for a loss in the semis, finishing 21-12 and possibly getting invited to the NIT as a low seed road warrior. After all, this team plays so well on the road. They did beat middle of the pack Memphis and UNLV teams and of course, they were at least able to handle last place Evansville and Vanderbilt...just couldn't handle the last place team in the AAC.
Last edited by Charleston Pony on Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charleston Pony

Postby Glenn Sosbee » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:30 pm

What an amazing display of great coaching and the will to win by our team!
We should all be proud.
WHAT A JOKE
Pony P-1
Glenn Sosbee
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:22 am

Almost hate to bring this post back before the season even starts. Hopefully things work out and we are able to play a full schedule in 2020-2021 with a roster that, even after losing Mike, might be stronger than last year's and result in our feeling good about Jank again. But, if this season ends as poorly as last year and after missing out on Rick Pitino as the guy to rebuild the program, I see today that Billy Donovan will not return as coach of the OKC Thunder. What about trying to bring in another former NBA coach who was also successful as a college coach? If Donovan likes living in OKC, he might love Dallas!
Charleston Pony

Postby redpony » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:45 am

janko-vid 20. even with a bad result next year we are probably still stuck with this albatross.
redpony

Postby Pony_Law » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:02 am

Donovan is now available. I would give anything if we could get rid of Jank and replace him Donovan.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:04 am

Donovan would be a much better fit than Pitino. Just goes to show there is always going to be a really strong option for us to leverage.
JasonB

Postby mustangxc » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:30 pm

Let's be realistic though. Donovan is not coming to SMU so he's not an option. Pitino would have come here in an instant.
mustangxc

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:13 pm

You guys are freebasing crack if you think Billy Donovan quit an NBA playoff team to become the SMU head coach
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:54 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:You guys are freebasing crack if you think Billy Donovan quit an NBA playoff team to become the SMU head coach

Did he "quit" or was his leaving one of those "mutual decisions? And...who ever thought Larry Brown would leave the NBA and come to lowly SMU? Nobody suggested Donovan "quit" to become SMU's head coach but if the money was there and SMU was serious about returning Top 25 caliber hoops to Moody, I would think Billy would have to be high on the search committee's list.

I would actually prefer that SMU becomes the surprise team in the AAC this year and Jank turns this thing around and establishes a consistently strong program, but after the way his team collapsed last season, I don't like the odds of that happening.
Charleston Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:28 pm

CP, I don’t think the odds are good either, but for other reasons as well.

I’m certainly not as up on things as i use to be, but isn’t Jalen Smith tank’s first ‘traditional’ recruit in 2 years, like since Cook and McBride.

Why is he so terrible at this?

A team full of Cooks, McBrides & Smiths wont even get remotely close to an NIT bid.

Transfers are better, but he still needs to recruit quality HS kids.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:09 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:CP, I don’t think the odds are good either, but for other reasons as well.

I’m certainly not as up on things as i use to be, but isn’t Jalen Smith tank’s first ‘traditional’ recruit in 2 years, like since Cook and McBride.

Why is he so terrible at this?

A team full of Cooks, McBrides & Smiths wont even get remotely close to an NIT bid.

Transfers are better, but he still needs to recruit quality HS kids.

There is no question that Jank's recruiting of transfers has far eclipsed his H.S. recruiting, but with a 13 man roster, you can afford to take on some "practice" players who may or may not stick around 4-5 years and actually contribute as upperclassmen. I don't see SMU as a landing spot for "one and done" types, so a mix of H.S. guys and transfers works for me if team chemistry doesn't suffer. I'm excited about seeing what this year's transfers can add to the mix and whether Davis and Jolly can improve on their performance from last year, which was certainly encouraging.
Charleston Pony

Postby Hoofprint » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:51 pm

TJ isn't going anywhere. Doesn't he have like 3 more years on his contract? SMU has shown a strong reluctance to pay 2 coaches at once.
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby redpony » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:29 am

Hoofprint wrote:TJ isn't going anywhere. Doesn't he have like 3 more years on his contract? SMU has shown a strong reluctance to pay 2 coaches at once.

did our incompetent ad give him a life time contract? he has been here for way too many years. how long does it take to realize tankovich is not the coach we need.
Best result- the virus shuts down bball until his agreement has expired.
redpony

Postby Hoofprint » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:39 pm

I think he had automatic extensions kick in because of the winds in his first 2 years.

And extending a deadly virus is a best case scenario? Really?
Hoofprint
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball