PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Coaching Search Who Ya Want?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Coaching Search Who Ya Want?

Postby JasonB » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:59 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:I’d like to know how many of the remaining Jank apologists here subscribe to 247. Anyone who has a sub over there knows what an absolutely abysmal effort Jank has put into recruiting over the past three years. It’s insulting to SMU, it’s insulting to the donors and it’s insulting to the fanbase. It’s one thing to lose, it’s another thing to not even try.

As the saying goes, “if you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention”

Factually speaking, the staff and Jank do not invest a lot of time with the media and run a very closed shop. Just as they do not value social media, they also don't value the relationship with 247 and the amount of publicity that could bring. It is an extension of them not valuing building relationships with alumni and the students. To put it in business terms, the "marketing arm" of the staff doesn't exist... which is not a good thing in today's college sports world. It is certainly a negative.

Because of that lack of insight, the only visibility we have into something that would be considered "lazy" is that he certainly hasn't been attending the same level of tournaments that LB attended when he was out recruiting. Some of that early on was because of recruiting restrictions, but it hasn't yet built up to the same level after the restrictions went away.

We also have all heard that there have been several disagreements on the staff on who to prioritize in recruiting, and that Jank has ignored some staff evaluations in favor of his own opinions. Some of those decisions involve legacies. So, whether the players perform well or not is truly on Jank because he made the decisions (sometimes controversial) on the players who are here.

I'll also add that the Kendric Davis grades situation was a known potential issue prior to his transfer, was a known risk, and if he is truly one and done, that is on Jank as well IMHO.

All of that said, results are what matter. This was a new, inexperienced (not young) team this year. Our expectations are post season play. We were going to miss out on that, in a down league, and because of the inexperience we should have trended up as the season went along, but were headed in the wrong direction. That is why we should be considering moving on, not the other stuff, which is mostly hearsay and opinion. IMHO.

As much as not having a post season and the stock market crash lowers the probability of making a change, losing Davis probably increases it.

Although, personally, if I was Miller, I sure as hell would want to dump $3M into a low market instead of spending it on a buyout.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Treadway21 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:55 pm

Wonder if cancellation of the AAC tournament due to the virus save Jank’s job? I doubted they would get rid of him anyway, but now that the season ended in such a weird way and not a tournament loss, I bet that gives the powers that be an excuse to keep him around.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:52 pm

Treadway21 wrote:Wonder if cancellation of the AAC tournament due to the virus save Jank’s job? I doubted they would get rid of him anyway, but now that the season ended in such a weird way and not a tournament loss, I bet that gives the powers that be an excuse to keep him around.

They sure as hell don’t need any more excuses to fire him.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Mustangsabu » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:30 pm

Pony Up wrote:No. The NCAA would rent an office in Moody.
No. SMU would give the NCAA an office in Moody. One with a view....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:59 am

PonyTime wrote:
PonySnob wrote:Thunder Dan Majarle was fired tonight by Grand Canyon. Hopefully we’ll join that list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thunder Dan’s resume:

7 years
0 conference titles
0 NCAA appearances
0 NIT appearances

Prob why he was fired.

I will admit that Jank has a better resume.

Bryce Drew has a far better resume than many listed above.

It's Grand Canyon University, a program that transitioned from Division II to Division I in Dan Majerle's first season as head coach. He led them to post-season play in 5 of his first seasons 6 along with a 22-9 record the season they sat out of post-season play. I'd say he did wonders for that program. They were never going to unseat New Mexico State in the regular season to land an NIT bid and the WAC is not a 2 bid conference and wasn't going to land an at large NIT bid. Again, he did about as well as can be expected at that program. He's not the coach for SMU, but he achieved more with less than Jankovich.
mustangxc

Postby PonyTime » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:24 am

mustangxc wrote:
PonyTime wrote:
PonySnob wrote:Thunder Dan Majarle was fired tonight by Grand Canyon. Hopefully we’ll join that list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thunder Dan’s resume:

7 years
0 conference titles
0 NCAA appearances
0 NIT appearances

Prob why he was fired.

I will admit that Jank has a better resume.

Bryce Drew has a far better resume than many listed above.

It's Grand Canyon University, a program that transitioned from Division II to Division I in Dan Majerle's first season as head coach. He led them to post-season play in 5 of his first seasons 6 along with a 22-9 record the season they sat out of post-season play. I'd say he did wonders for that program. They were never going to unseat New Mexico State in the regular season to land an NIT bid and the WAC is not a 2 bid conference and wasn't going to land an at large NIT bid. Again, he did about as well as can be expected at that program. He's not the coach for SMU, but he achieved more with less than Jankovich.

I know about the history of GCU and newness of the program. I suspect he had 0 restrictions on recruiting as anyone with a pulse is let into that place.

If going to the CIT is impressive, we should call RoboDoh.

I really would not consider Thunder Dan a better coach than Jank - and I am not a Jank fan.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:57 am

We only qualified for the CIT one season under Robo Doh. The CIT is to Grand Canyon what the NIT is to SMU. I would not have fired Majerle if I were Grand Canyon's AD.
mustangxc

Postby mrydel » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:59 am

Wait and see who Grand Canyon hires.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:33 am

I wouldn’t be shocked to see Rick Pitino at Grand Canyon. He’s close with Jerry Colangelo who is a big deal at GCU
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby mustangxc » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:50 pm

Iona in talks with Rick Pitino according to Jon Rothstein.
mustangxc

Postby mustangxc » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:52 pm

Update: per Jon Rothstein, Iona hires Rick Pitino.

Now I’m pissed! Fire Hart!
mustangxc

Postby Treadway21 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:53 pm

mustangxc wrote:Update: per Jon Rothstein, Iona hires Rick Pitino.

Just saw that. Beat me to it. He was right there for us.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby PonySnob » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:53 pm

mustangxc wrote:Update: per Jon Rothstein, Iona hires Rick Pitino.

Sounds like they are committed to winning
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby mustangxc » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:56 pm

Hart is a much bigger problem than Jankovich. He is committed to losers, bullying, excuses, and minimal attendance.
mustangxc

Postby smupony94 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:58 pm

mustangxc wrote:Hart is a much bigger problem than Jankovich. He is committed to losers, bullying, excuses, and minimal attendance.
How should he go against the wishes of the largest donor? I’m sure he’d appreciate your advice on this issue.
smupony94

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball