PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Coaching Search Who Ya Want?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Coaching Search Who Ya Want?

Postby PonyTime » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:49 am

mrydel wrote:Wait and see who Grand Canyon hires.

They hired the person we should have hired when Pitino went off the board - Bryce Drew.

Bring back Larry.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:34 am

mustangxc wrote:Hart is a much bigger problem than Jankovich. He is committed to losers, bullying, excuses, and minimal attendance.

right on! how ironic that the school considered a 'little rich kids' school is so poor and financially strapped they can't afford a new coach for a program that is a disaster.

Anybody remember the two re-seats. IIRC lapboy promoted them as needing money to keep our program moving up to be on a level with the dukes, NCs, KYs and NC State. gee, how is that working out??
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:50 am

We have a problem that needs to be fixed. No denying that. Our goal is clear: A return of Moody Magic.

How we get there, especially considering we are by and large spending someone else’s money, is open to debate. What’s on Hart are the reseat debacle and the stupid things we did to disarm the Mob. What’s on Jank are subpar recruiting and the season collapse.

If I were king, I’d have Hart do everything he could to make amends for the reseat — if anything can be done. And I’d return to the old Mob policies. I’d gracefully part ways with Jank, thanking him for what he did in difficult circumstances. And I’d get someone in here who, like Brown, understood the sleeping giant that SMU basketball truly is. I see why Larry Freaking Brown accepted this job.
ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:38 pm

smupony94 wrote:
mustangxc wrote:Hart is a much bigger problem than Jankovich. He is committed to losers, bullying, excuses, and minimal attendance.
How should he go against the wishes of the largest donor? I’m sure he’d appreciate your advice on this issue.

He went against the wishes of the 99% of the fanbase so there's that. Did he do a re-seat without generating any money and without support or what? If so, he definitely has to go! If not, then the money should be available to upgrade the coaching position. Otherwise, he and SMU are not committed to winning.
mustangxc

Postby Pony81 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:32 pm

I remember the email where they justified the reseat by comparing us to Kansas, Villanova etc../
I called Rick and let him know that the loyal fans didn’t buy season tickets to FB and BB games for all these years because the teams were any good .... in fact many were unwatchable... we did it to support the school.. do our part. Only, when SMU finally has a decent product, we are told to pound sand, you can’t renew your tickets at the going rate, you have to go through an auction with your fellow fans....
I realized SMU didn’t value loyalty... it was a transaction... so be it. StubHub is like 90% cheaper than season tickets and donations
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby Dement-ed » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:15 pm

mustangxc wrote:He went against the wishes of the 99% of the fanbase so there's that. Did he do a re-seat without generating any money and without support or what? If so, he definitely has to go! If not, then the money should be available to upgrade the coaching position. Otherwise, he and SMU are not committed to winning.

You're not wrong, but that practice of loyalty to the guys with the big checkbooks is hardly unique. It happens just about everywhere. Big-bucks donors don't control everything, but their donations certainly give their opinions more weight than ours.
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:52 am

Pony81 wrote: Loyal fans didn’t buy season tickets to FB and BB games for all these years because the teams were any good .... in fact many were unwatchable... we did it to support the school.. do our part. Only, when SMU finally has a decent product, we are told to pound sand.
I realized SMU didn’t value loyalty... it was a transaction... so be it. StubHub is like 90% cheaper than season tickets and donations

^^^
Bergermeister

Postby ponyboy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:20 am

That pretty much summarizes the situation.
ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:00 am

Dement-ed wrote:
mustangxc wrote:He went against the wishes of the 99% of the fanbase so there's that. Did he do a re-seat without generating any money and without support or what? If so, he definitely has to go! If not, then the money should be available to upgrade the coaching position. Otherwise, he and SMU are not committed to winning.

You're not wrong, but that practice of loyalty to the guys with the big checkbooks is hardly unique. It happens just about everywhere. Big-bucks donors don't control everything, but their donations certainly give their opinions more weight than ours.

I know it is not unique. In fact I don't even have a problem with it. It is a calculation, but you better have assurances that when the time comes the checkbook is open. He traded away our fanbase/home-court advantage for the hopes of more money. My question now is simply, where is that money? We should be able to afford a buyout and a new coach. If not, Hart is terrible at his job.
mustangxc

Postby redpony » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:59 pm

mustangxc wrote:
My question now is simply, where is that money? We should be able to afford a buyout and a new coach. If not, Hart is terrible at his job.

Since this is a private university they do not have to make public any of their accounting records.
We both know that money was not going to be used as promised but to cover other non-bball related expenses. If you ask him he would a) tell you it is none of your business or b) lie about how the funds were used. All the more reason to refuse to buy season tickets for next year.
redpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed May 06, 2020 5:30 pm

If SMU had hired Pitino, the NCAA would probably have shut the program down for 2 years

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... na-tenure/
Charleston Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed May 06, 2020 6:31 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:If SMU had hired Pitino, the NCAA would probably have shut the program down for 2 years

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... na-tenure/
[deleted] the ncaa
One Trick Pony

Postby tristatecoog » Thu May 07, 2020 11:14 am

Ponies did well when LB was serving a suspension. The key is having Pitino as HC for recruiting purposes.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Thu May 07, 2020 11:15 am

By next year there will be lots of quality coaches to talk to, if we have a vacancy. Petino was not going to be a candidate here with Louisville sanctions still looming. He may still face a suspension according to CBS. Then we'd be paying a boatload of money for a coach who isn't allowed to coach. Been there done that.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby redpony » Thu May 07, 2020 12:25 pm

and instead we are paying a boatload of money for a coach who doesn't care to coach instead of one not allowed to coach. big difference?????
redpony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball