PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

All time team

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: All time team

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:07 pm

EastStang wrote:One other Krebs fact. The Mustangs reached the Final Four with Krebs in 1956. In the semi-final game, they drew the short straw and had to play San Francisco featuring Bill Russell. Krebs outscored Russell 24-17 but the Mustangs were no match for the Dons. SMU won the 3rd place game besting the Temple Owls.
The next year, the Ponies and Krebs had to face Kansas earlier in the Tourney with a young fellow named Wilt Chamberlain and kept it close but eventually lost. No Mustang teams have ever made it that far since.

That helps put things in perspective for the younger guys
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby max the wonder dog » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:49 pm

Krebs, Gene Phillips, IT and Nic are easy choices. #5 is a tough one. A good case could be made for Koncak, but not by me. I'm still angry that he was named to the SMU Sports Hall of Fame before Phillips and IT.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby Arkpony » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:49 pm

I was at that game with Kansas. It was in the new Moody. Krebs keep Chamberlain in check until there were about 5 minutes to go with SMU ahead by about 5-6 points when Krebs fouled out on a questionable call. The place went crazy! People throwing things out on the courts. Pandemonium! Finally Matty Bell (I believe it was him) came out on the floor with a mic and pleaded with everyone to calm down so the game could continue. Once it continued Kansas tied us with no Krebs to guard Chamberlain and they won in overtime. Sports Illustrated said SMU was the better team but only with Krebs in there.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:04 pm

max the wonder dog wrote:Krebs, Gene Phillips, IT and Nic are easy choices. #5 is a tough one. A good case could be made for Koncak, but not by me. I'm still angry that he was named to the SMU Sports Hall of Fame before Phillips and IT.

That's a pretty solid starting four with Krebs at the 5, I.T. the 4, Nic at point and Phillips probably the 2, leaving the 3 open for Q, Sasser, Semi, Sterling or even Isiah Mike. Then try to figure out your 2 deep.Good luck with that.
Charleston Pony

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:16 pm

bubba pony wrote:Gene Phillips who got all his points when there was no 3 point line. if he had a 3 point shot his numbers would be much higher.

Gene Phillips definitely gets my vote. He could do it all. Shooting, passing, rebounding.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:38 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
max the wonder dog wrote:Krebs, Gene Phillips, IT and Nic are easy choices. #5 is a tough one. A good case could be made for Koncak, but not by me. I'm still angry that he was named to the SMU Sports Hall of Fame before Phillips and IT.

That's a pretty solid starting four with Krebs at the 5, I.T. the 4, Nic at point and Phillips probably the 2, leaving the 3 open for Q, Sasser, Semi, Sterling or even Isiah Mike. Then try to figure out your 2 deep.Good luck with that.

Hmmm, let’s see here CP, according to you our choices are:

WAC POY Quinton Ross
WAC POY Jeryl Sasser
AAC POY Semi Ojeleye
All-time Games Played, All-time Games Won, Relentless Leader Sterling Brown

and......

Isiah Mike :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You need to check your calendar, CP, you are 4 days early with this post.
SoCal_Pony

Postby friarwolf » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:39 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:

Hmmm, let’s see here CP, according to you our choices are:

WAC POY Quinton Ross
WAC POY Jeryl Sasser
AAC POY Semi Ojeleye
All-time Games Played, All-time Games Won, Relentless Leader Sterling Brown

and......

Isiah Mike :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You need to check your calendar, CP, you are 4 days early with this post.

Sasser as the fifth with Sterling as our 6th man.........
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:03 pm

Which leads to an entirely different category. Who is your 6th man? In recent history, Sterling and Gu are the guys who come to mind. My memory is short and I really don't remember who our 6th men were during the various years SMU had Top 25 caliber teams.
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Basketball