PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Question to the defenders

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Question to the defenders

Postby redpony » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:39 pm

[quote="mustangxc"]
I once had to fire an employee within the first 6 months of my job because the superiors didn't have the guts to do it and assigned it to me.[/quote

tough job isn't it?
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:04 pm

redpony wrote:
mustangxc wrote:
I once had to fire an employee within the first 6 months of my job because the superiors didn't have the guts to do it and assigned it to me.[/quote

tough job isn't it?

It stinks, but in my case it was easier due to the fact that I really had nothing to do with the employee so it wasn't personal at all. I simply tried to treat the employee with as much dignity as possible. I was still upset that I was put in that situation.
mustangxc

Postby EastStang » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:02 am

ES, I say that because I interpret your post as a defense of tank. He's a loser.

From the 30-win season our team has dropped in rankings to #65 in 2018, #97 in 2019 and #104 in 2020.

He has given us marginally ranked HS players in Landrum (#232), Ray (#354), Young (#370) White (not even ranked), McBride (#424) and Cook (#494).

As LA as posted multiple times, he doesn't market SMU.

So please, no comparisons to Coach K, that is rather juvenal.

Saying we are stuck with tankovich for financial reasons, I can live with that.
Saying anything in defense of tank, I'm not buying it.

He's a loser.[/quote]

First, I see people say, he can't recruit and he can't develop players. Which one is it. If he can't recruit or develop players, then why are players potential NBA draftees? I happen to agree that some of our players have bad habits that were never cured, I've pointed them out like dribbling when you get the ball in the paint. Not knowing how to head fake. His perspective is different from LB. LB was old school, beat them on the boards and in the paint and fundamentally sound defense. Jank is a run and gun, live and die by the three type of coach. My point was that he seems to recruit well for the players that fit his system. No they are not top players. If you look around the NCAA only a handful outside of the Pac 12, Big Ten, Big XII, SEC, ACC and Big East get top 100 talent. Memphis did, but we know Penny H has the NCAA looking hard at him now. So, if you want to get a coach who is a great recruiter, be ready for more sanctions. If you want a coach who is a great player developer, be prepared for good years and bad years (which is what we have now). You brought up a point that Jank does not promote SMU which is a good point and something that in my view could very well disqualify him from the job. Part of being coach of an institution to act like its the greatest place on earth. If he's not doing that, then that's a huge negative. Funny enough, reading tweets from the players, they seem to think SMU is a great place. Anyway, my concern was that if you fire him, be sure that you have a great candidate lined up. Because you don't want to get something worse. We've hired some stinkers over the years because we fired a coach too soon. If we have a bad year next year, we have all the ammo we need.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby redpony » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:32 am

ES- IMO there are two major problems. Jank is lazy and only interested in cashing his paycheck. He has no loyalty or love for this school and shows it. How easy it is to forget LB bringing coffee and donuts to loyal students waiting in line to get tickets. jank can even be bothered to tweet anything.

The other problem is that we have a lazy and incompetent AD. Good example- he just hired a new golf coach without interviewing or reaching out to any coaches. There were a number of high quality coaches interested in this job and none were even considered.
The same is likely to happen when we look for a new bball coach. He will just follow the path of least resistance instead of manning up and doing due diligence to find the best coach.
redpony

Postby Higher Authority » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:31 pm

It sounds childish for any of us to declare Jank doesn't care, only wants a paycheck, doesn't care about SMU, etc. None of us is in his office his home, etc. and he has never said anything one way or another about things like that.

FWIW: my guess is that Davis, Mike and Hunt all return, so Jasey and Chargois need to step up and McNeill had better be as good as advertised.
"Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in .... next to soccer."
— "Loki" in the movie Dogma
Higher Authority
All-American

Postby redpony » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:10 pm

Higher Authority wrote:It sounds childish for any of us to declare Jank doesn't care, only wants a paycheck, doesn't care about SMU, etc. .

Actions speak louder than words. He says nothing and does nothing to promote SMU- neither with the students nor the Dallas community. Compare that to the actions and words of LB. Like night and day.
redpony

Postby ponyboy » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:33 pm

I don't think it's hard to argue that Jank could be doing more. Is LB the standard, though? Hall of Fame coach, one of the best ever, etc.,etc. It's just flat out a rarity to find a guy willing to do what he did, passing out donuts, etc. But having that star power made it so much easier for him to do so -- people flock to him like they would flock to very, very few other coaches -- maybe none currently coaching other than a couple three. Again, not defending Jank. He can do more for sure.
ponyboy

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:47 pm

ponyboy wrote:I don't think it's hard to argue that Jank could be doing more. Is LB the standard, though? Hall of Fame coach, one of the best ever, etc.,etc. It's just flat out a rarity to find a guy willing to do what he did, passing out donuts, etc. But having that star power made it so much easier for him to do so -- people flock to him like they would flock to very, very few other coaches -- maybe none currently coaching other than a couple three. Again, not defending Jank. He can do more for sure.

The fact that Larry did stuff like passing out donuts is even more impressive to me, because he didn’t have to. He could’ve thought “I’m a Hall of Famer, I’m above that, have one of the assistants do it” and gone about his day. But he did it, because he cared. Jank doesn’t care. He has all of the sense of entitlement without having earned any of it. He’s a lazy, pathetic loser.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Higher Authority » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:05 pm

You're right -- the donuts were a nice touch, especially with cameras around, but they did nothing more than feed a few students. Nice gesture to be sure. As for tweeting, couldn't care less. The program tweets all the time, and whether Jankovich does it or a staffer does it is irrelevant. Football and basketball have people on staff whose job includes social media, right? I'm much more interested in improving on the bad losses (ECU, etc.) and trying to increase on the 2 wins over top 20 teams than I am in donuts and tweets.

But you're right, ECM: donuts are good :D
"Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in .... next to soccer."
— "Loki" in the movie Dogma
Higher Authority
All-American

Postby max the wonder dog » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:36 pm

First, I see people say, he can't recruit and he can't develop players. Which one is it. If he can't recruit or develop players, then why are players potential NBA draftees?

Key word -- potential. Haven't seen any of the 100% Jank players make it to the NBA.
Last edited by max the wonder dog on Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:37 pm

Higher Authority wrote:You're right -- the donuts were a nice touch, especially with cameras around, but they did nothing more than feed a few students. Nice gesture to be sure. As for tweeting, couldn't care less. The program tweets all the time, and whether Jankovich does it or a staffer does it is irrelevant. Football and basketball have people on staff whose job includes social media, right? I'm much more interested in improving on the bad losses (ECU, etc.) and trying to increase on the 2 wins over top 20 teams than I am in donuts and tweets.

But you're right, ECM: donuts are good :D

The HC should have a presence on social media, whether it’s Jank himself or some intern posting for him. Compare the football program’s social media game to what bball puts out and its laughable. No one in the basketball program is trying, they’re just laughing all the way to the bank with David Miller’s checks.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:51 pm

Higher Authority wrote:It sounds childish for any of us to declare Jank doesn't care, only wants a paycheck, doesn't care about SMU, etc. None of us is in his office his home, etc. and he has never said anything one way or another about things like that.

FWIW: my guess is that Davis, Mike and Hunt all return, so Jasey and Chargois need to step up and McNeill had better be as good as advertised.

If he does get everyone back it will be but one MORE opportunity to prove the doubters wrong. I really hope the team can make some sort of an NCAA run.... heck even get in and get a win.... one friggin win.
But the sense here is that we’re looking at another year of under-achievement, excuses, zero engagement with the fan base, half-speed recruiting, no desire to cut the dead wood and improve the roster, no social media presence, etc, etc, etc.

Did I leave anything out. I really don’t think one needs to be “in his office.” Someone with some influence needs to get in his grill.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:58 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:
Higher Authority wrote:It sounds childish for any of us to declare Jank doesn't care, only wants a paycheck, doesn't care about SMU, etc. None of us is in his office his home, etc. and he has never said anything one way or another about things like that.

If he does get everyone back it will be but one MORE opportunity to prove the doubters wrong. I really hope the team can make some sort of an NCAA run.... heck even get in and get a win.... one friggin win.
But the sense here is that we’re looking at another year of under-achievement, excuses, zero engagement with the fan base, half-speed recruiting, no desire to cut the dead wood and improve the roster, no social media presence, etc, etc, etc.

Did I leave anything out. I really don’t think one needs to be “in his office.” Someone with some influence needs to get in his grill.

If everyone comes back and McNeill turns out to be a player, next year's team better make the NCAA Tourney or it will be a huge disappointment. Just having the same group of guys playing together for 2-3 years and having gained experience at this level should lead to a significantly better product on the court.

As or those who attack Jank for being lazy...a more aggressive coach would be convincing some of the guys at the end of the bench that they should seek playing time elsewhere while working hard to bring in another low post contributor (someone who can actually play D and rebound!)
Charleston Pony

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:51 pm

Need another Jank excuse? From a recent Blum article about Jank’s OOC scheduling.

“People don’t realize," Jankovich said. "You don’t pick who you play. You pick who you try to play, and they say ‘Yes or ‘No’. You get a lot more ‘No’s’ than you get ‘Yes’s.'”

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-m ... difficult/
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Question to the defenders

Postby PonySnob » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:06 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Need another Jank excuse? From a recent Blum article about Jank’s OOC scheduling.

“People don’t realize," Jankovich said. "You don’t pick who you play. You pick who you try to play, and they say ‘Yes or ‘No’. You get a lot more ‘No’s’ than you get ‘Yes’s.'”

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-m ... difficult/
Not buying Janks excuse, but I’m guessing it’s harder to get decent teams to go on the road and come to Moody to play an average SMU team, as I don’t remember many top 25 P5 programs playing mid-majors on the road.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball