PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Question to the defenders

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Question to the defenders

Postby Pony81 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:46 pm

CP is exactly correct.
Guys, Jank has 2 more years on his contract....the question isn’t will he stay but who will fund a buyout. This is SMU...we don’t do big buyouts. Especially not now with the CV-19 draining the alumni and university coffers.
I hat to say it but we have Jank for this next year and probably next. He will be paid regardless so he could care less. Those that want to fire him thinking he will be “punished” somehow are sadly mistaken. He’s made his money. He’ll take it to the bank. And he’ll coast into retirement,
He knows he’s not getting a HC job and he doesn’t need to do the assistant grind....so he’ll find some random industry job to do to stay busy
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:56 pm

Pony81 wrote:CP is exactly correct.
Guys, Jank has 2 more years on his contract....the question isn’t will he stay but who will fund a buyout. This is SMU...we don’t do big buyouts. Especially not now with the CV-19 draining the alumni and university coffers.
I hat to say it but we have Jank for this next year and probably next. He will be paid regardless so he could care less. Those that want to fire him thinking he will be “punished” somehow are sadly mistaken. He’s made his money. He’ll take it to the bank. And he’ll coast into retirement,
He knows he’s not getting a HC job and he doesn’t need to do the assistant grind....so he’ll find some random industry job to do to stay busy

Sadly, you’re probably right. Flashback to 2012, and all things considered, Tim Jankovich might have been the worst person in the country we could’ve hired to be our HCIW. He’s arrogant, he’s lazy, and he doesn’t care; he was and is just looking for an easy way to bankroll his retirement. Shameful.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:10 am

One more thing to remember about LB's choice of Jank...he brought Nic Moore with him and allowed LB to say goodbye to JFrog, who went on to finish his career in the Ohio Valley Conference. LB was aggressive in churning the roster right away and I don't remember regretting any of the personnel decisions he made at that time.
Charleston Pony

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:16 am

Charleston Pony wrote:One more thing to remember about LB's choice of Jank...he brought Nic Moore with him and allowed LB to say goodbye to JFrog, who went on to finish his career in the Ohio Valley Conference. LB was aggressive in churning the roster right away and I don't remember regretting any of the personnel decisions he made at that time.

How much money has Nic Moore made Tim Jankovich? Unreal
East Coast Mustang

Postby redpony » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:23 am

Pony81 wrote:CP is exactly correct.
Guys, Jank has 2 more years on his contract...

What mental hernia gave him a 7 year HC contract? Little ricky should be fired for that reason alone. I can not imagine giving an uproven coach a contract with that long of a contract.
We would be better to shut down the program than endure two more years of embarrassing results from a lazy, non-caring incompetent coach and an empty arena.
redpony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:49 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:He’s arrogant, he’s lazy, and he doesn’t care; he was and is just looking for an easy way to bankroll his retirement. Shameful.

For a moment, I thought I was on the football board :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SoCal_Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:58 am

To tie ECM & redpony’s comments together,

Given the fact that we don’t have the Arky deep pockets to buyout our mistakes :lol: and given the fact that we were recently burned by a lazy HC whose name I will not mention, but whom we had to retain because we couldn’t send him back to the big island a year earlier, it seems to me that the AD should have done more due diligence as to an individuals work ethic and passion and most importantly, never ever hand out 7-year deals if it effectively means we are stuck with that person for the duration of the contract.

That’s on Hart.
SoCal_Pony

Postby JasonB » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:43 am

Nobody handed anyone a 7 year contract.

LB was only supposed to be here originally for like 2 years. He extended his stay, Jank had to extend his HCIW position, and he was given an extension. Then after he went 30-5, we gave him another extension. That seems reasonable. Hasn't worked out how anyone would like, but it was a reasonable decision at the time.
JasonB

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:51 am

Tweets/retweets in April promoting the program and using it as a recruiting tool:

Sonny - 23
Last tweet - yesterday

Jank - 0
Last tweet - 9/29/2016
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby redpony » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:08 am

JasonB wrote:Nobody handed anyone a 7 year contract.

Then after he went 30-5, we gave him another extension. That seems reasonable. Hasn't worked out how anyone would like, but it was a reasonable decision at the time.

Obviously don't agree. His first year he had a great season with LB's players.. His HC contract was in 7/16. A 5 year agreement would end in 7/21. Only a fool would give a coach an extension after his first year- especially using another coaches players.

He and little ricky have cost the school more in lost revenue, lost fans and lost status/reputation than a current buyout would have been.
redpony

Postby EastStang » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:57 am

Let's say our players looking at the draft decide they have enough juice to be drafted and hire agents. Now suddenly, we are without arguably our two best players. Do you still give Jank an NCAA or bust ultimatum? I know some of you will say, well he should have a team two deep with that kind of talent. Yeah, right, unless your name is Coach K, ain't happening. He hasn't performed at LB level that's for sure, but I'm not one to change unless I know what I'm going to get. How did firing Cavan for Phil Bennett work out? Or hiring RoboDoh? They seemed like upgrades, but.... So, be careful what you wish for. Jank may not be our savior, but his replacement could put us completely into the dumpster or back on probation. We have to play the cards dealt us this year and see what happens.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:57 pm

EastStang wrote:Let's say our players looking at the draft decide they have enough juice to be drafted and hire agents. Now suddenly, we are without arguably our two best players. Do you still give Jank an NCAA or bust ultimatum? I know some of you will say, well he should have a team two deep with that kind of talent. Yeah, right, unless your name is Coach K, ain't happening. He hasn't performed at LB level that's for sure, but I'm not one to change unless I know what I'm going to get. How did firing Cavan for Phil Bennett work out? Or hiring RoboDoh? They seemed like upgrades, but.... So, be careful what you wish for. Jank may not be our savior, but his replacement could put us completely into the dumpster or back on probation. We have to play the cards dealt us this year and see what happens.

There isnt a school in the AAC who would trade b-ball coaches with us right now. Anything would be better than a coach who legitimately does not care about building a winning program.
East Coast Mustang

Postby JasonB » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:41 pm

EastStang wrote:Let's say our players looking at the draft decide they have enough juice to be drafted and hire agents. Now suddenly, we are without arguably our two best players. Do you still give Jank an NCAA or bust ultimatum? I know some of you will say, well he should have a team two deep with that kind of talent. Yeah, right, unless your name is Coach K, ain't happening. He hasn't performed at LB level that's for sure, but I'm not one to change unless I know what I'm going to get. How did firing Cavan for Phil Bennett work out? Or hiring RoboDoh? They seemed like upgrades, but.... So, be careful what you wish for. Jank may not be our savior, but his replacement could put us completely into the dumpster or back on probation. We have to play the cards dealt us this year and see what happens.

Sonny has us at the top of the list of transfers who want to come home. If Jank had the program at the same level, he would be able to rebuild really quickly, regardless of who left to the NBA.

The expectations should absolutely be high, because we have a ton of really highly qualified coaches who would love this job. We don't have the same problems as a University as we did when we had to reach for Cavan, Bennett, RoboDoh, or Tubbs. If we hired someone at that level, it would absolutely be on the head of the AD.
JasonB

Postby JasonB » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:46 pm

redpony wrote:

Then after he went 30-5, we gave him another extension. That seems reasonable. Hasn't worked out how anyone would like, but it was a reasonable decision at the time.

Obviously don't agree. His first year he had a great season with LB's players.. His HC contract was in 7/16. A 5 year agreement would end in 7/21. Only a fool would give a coach an extension after his first year- especially using another coaches players.

He and little ricky have cost the school more in lost revenue, lost fans and lost status/reputation than a current buyout would have been.

At the time, the perception was that he went undefeated when LB was suspended, and then his team outperformed any of LB's teams in the 30-5 season because he wasn't such a hardass and was a players coach. So, he got the extension, the intent of which was to allow him to recruit beyond the sanctions that were in place and the disaster that was LB''s final recruiting class (impacted by the sanctions, of course).

But sure, we can blame the long extension on Hart. I'm just explaining the logic that want into it at the time.
JasonB

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:16 pm

JasonB wrote:
redpony wrote:

At the time, the perception was that he went undefeated when LB was suspended, and then his team outperformed any of LB's teams in the 30-5 season because he wasn't such a hardass and was a players coach. So, he got the extension, the intent of which was to allow him to recruit beyond the sanctions that were in place and the disaster that was LB''s final recruiting class (impacted by the sanctions, of course).

But sure, we can blame the long extension on Hart. I'm just explaining the logic that want into it at the time.

Yes, the Aussie class was a disaster, but Froling was ranked #131, WAY HIGHER than any tank recruit and Wilson was ranked #201.

Most of tankovich’s HS recruits have been ranked over 300!!!, what a loser this man is.
SoCal_Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball