PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Question to the defenders

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Question to the defenders

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:09 pm

I think you can put a tombstone on the hoops program. I'll still roll in for a couple each year
.
Big time basketball is finished at Moody So you all can bark and make noise all you want nothing's gonna change that.
User avatar
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 9765
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:17 pm

Re: Question to the defenders

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:13 am

LA_Mustang wrote:Need another Jank excuse? From a recent Blum article about Jank’s OOC scheduling.

“People don’t realize," Jankovich said. "You don’t pick who you play. You pick who you try to play, and they say ‘Yes or ‘No’. You get a lot more ‘No’s’ than you get ‘Yes’s.'”

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-m ... difficult/



You might say that’s his approach to recruiting as well.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:58 am
Location: East Hampton, NY

Re: Question to the defenders

Postby friarwolf » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:50 am

He is neither a good recruiter or a good developer of talent. He is marginal at best at both of those things. He is good at being the good cop as an assistant but he destroys everything when he is in charge. Anyone that thinks we are going to be marginally better next year knows nothing about learning from history. He is lazy and he has created a lazy excuse riddled environment. Remember, Nic Moore chafed under Brown's constant criticism to be better. Now, I am sure he is thankful Brown came into his life. Nic Moore under Janks's tutelage for 4 years would look similar to Kendrick Davis......
friarwolf
Heisman
 
Posts: 1959
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:31 am

Re: Question to the defenders

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:16 pm

If SMU wants to significantly upgrade the non-conference schedule, Jank is going to have to take home/home deals with quality mid-major programs because there is truth to what he is saying, i.e., it's tough to get home/home deals with Top 25 programs. SMU is a much better team in Moody, especially with the kind of crowds "name brand" programs would attract. I do wonder how many upper level MWC, West Coast, Atlantic 10 or even CUSA, So-Con and MVC schools Jank has called and I would hope he has called EVERY Big XII school asking about home/home deals. There are some quality mid-major programs that might do home/home deals but SMU fans would probably not show up and would complain about our "no name" schedule even if Jank was able to schedule the top 1 or 2 schools from those conferences (many of which are better than the current SMU team).
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 20622
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Stonebridge Golf Club, NC

Re: Question to the defenders

Postby EastStang » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:16 am

As the Georgetown series showed, Big East seems interested in games in the Southwest. DePaul would be a good team to schedule, Xavier, or Marquette perhaps. A10 teams like Richmond, George Washington might be interested.
"Student Athletes, so that's what you call your slaves" - Eric Cartman 2011
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 11115
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2002 4:01 am

Re: Question to the defenders

Postby JasonB » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:24 am

Nobody wants to schedule SMU right now, because if a recruit comes to the game, they are going to come away more impressed by SMU than the visiting team. If we continue on a path towards mediocrity, it will become a lot easier to schedule.

We should get creative and run a joint holiday tournament in DFW with TCU. Their side of the bracket plays games in FW, our ide plays all games at SMU. Championship game at the AAC. Something like that. We might be able to get some bigger teams for that?
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 6238
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2001 3:01 am
Location: Allen, Tx, USA

Re: Question to the defenders

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:33 pm

JasonB wrote:Nobody wants to schedule SMU right now, because if a recruit comes to the game, they are going to come away more impressed by SMU than the visiting team. If we continue on a path towards mediocrity, it will become a lot easier to schedule.

LOL. When we had it humming with LB I recall Arkansas, Michigan and Gonzaga coming to Moody. The reason we can’t schedule good teams now is because our head coach is a lazy beta putz.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
User avatar
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 7366
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 8:35 am

Re: Question to the defenders

Postby redpony » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:30 am

East Coast Mustang wrote: The reason we can’t schedule good teams now is because our head coach is a lazy beta putz.


Yep- you hid the nail on the head with that one. Plus he is assisted by his incompetent and just as lazy AD lapboy.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 9883
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:44 am
Location: on the beach,northern Peru

Re: Question to the defenders

Postby Dukie » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:50 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:
JasonB wrote:Nobody wants to schedule SMU right now, because if a recruit comes to the game, they are going to come away more impressed by SMU than the visiting team. If we continue on a path towards mediocrity, it will become a lot easier to schedule.

LOL. When we had it humming with LB I recall Arkansas, Michigan and Gonzaga coming to Moody. The reason we can’t schedule good teams now is because our head coach is a lazy beta putz.

In fairness, I believe it was getting harder to schedule those teams as they started to learn how difficult a road trip it was. But yeah, we could have kept that rolling to a large extent.
Dukie
Heisman
 
Posts: 1115
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Question to the defenders

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:56 am

Dukie wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:
JasonB wrote:Nobody wants to schedule SMU right now, because if a recruit comes to the game, they are going to come away more impressed by SMU than the visiting team. If we continue on a path towards mediocrity, it will become a lot easier to schedule.

LOL. When we had it humming with LB I recall Arkansas, Michigan and Gonzaga coming to Moody. The reason we can’t schedule good teams now is because our head coach is a lazy beta putz.

In fairness, I believe it was getting harder to schedule those teams as they started to learn how difficult a road trip it was. But yeah, we could have kept that rolling to a large extent.

Plenty of decent teams would love to come to Dallas with all of the HS talent in the DFW area. Also, regarding scheduling, nothing was stopping us from playing in an OOC tournament like Atlantis or 2K, as we’ve done in recent years. I heard that Jank turned down an invite to a tournament last year that would've matched us up against P6 programs. Again, this guy SUCKS at his job and is DESTROYING our basketball program.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
User avatar
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 7366
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 8:35 am

Re: Question to the defenders

Postby ponyboy » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:21 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
ponyboy wrote:I don't think it's hard to argue that Jank could be doing more. Is LB the standard, though? Hall of Fame coach, one of the best ever, etc.,etc. It's just flat out a rarity to find a guy willing to do what he did, passing out donuts, etc. But having that star power made it so much easier for him to do so -- people flock to him like they would flock to very, very few other coaches -- maybe none currently coaching other than a couple three. Again, not defending Jank. He can do more for sure.

The fact that Larry did stuff like passing out donuts is even more impressive to me, because he didn’t have to. He could’ve thought “I’m a Hall of Famer, I’m above that, have one of the assistants do it” and gone about his day. But he did it, because he cared. Jank doesn’t care. He has all of the sense of entitlement without having earned any of it. He’s a lazy, pathetic loser.


Great point regarding LB passing out donuts. Let me say this: It's completely in bounds to criticize Jank on the results of his actions (or lack thereof), whether it be going above and beyond, recruiting results, lack of social media presence, etc. But to try to get in the guy's head and say he has a sense of entitlement, etc. is out of bounds. You don't know what's in any man's head. That's what pisses me off about your approach -- it ain't right and God forbid anyone should do it to you. Remember grace.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 13126
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2000 4:01 am
Location: University Park,TX US

Re: Question to the defenders

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:07 pm

ponyboy wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:
ponyboy wrote:I don't think it's hard to argue that Jank could be doing more. Is LB the standard, though? Hall of Fame coach, one of the best ever, etc.,etc. It's just flat out a rarity to find a guy willing to do what he did, passing out donuts, etc. But having that star power made it so much easier for him to do so -- people flock to him like they would flock to very, very few other coaches -- maybe none currently coaching other than a couple three. Again, not defending Jank. He can do more for sure.

The fact that Larry did stuff like passing out donuts is even more impressive to me, because he didn’t have to. He could’ve thought “I’m a Hall of Famer, I’m above that, have one of the assistants do it” and gone about his day. But he did it, because he cared. Jank doesn’t care. He has all of the sense of entitlement without having earned any of it. He’s a lazy, pathetic loser.


Great point regarding LB passing out donuts. Let me say this: It's completely in bounds to criticize Jank on the results of his actions (or lack thereof), whether it be going above and beyond, recruiting results, lack of social media presence, etc. But to try to get in the guy's head and say he has a sense of entitlement, etc. is out of bounds. You don't know what's in any man's head. That's what pisses me off about your approach -- it ain't right and God forbid anyone should do it to you. Remember grace.

If you gave someone a plum, high-paying job and they responded by failing to put forth even the bare minimum of required effort in said job, and when questioned about their work product failed to take any responsibility whatsoever and instead made up a myriad of excuses and blamed outside circumstances, what would you say about that person?

I can tell a lot about someone by how hard they work, how they carry themselves, and what kind of accountability they show when things don’t go as planned. Jank puts forth a laughably insufficient amount of effort into recruiting, scheduling, marketing the program, and frankly given the results of last year he’s an average (at best) in game coach. What does he do well? And who can forget at the end of last season when that student reporter asked him a completely “in bounds” (to use your terminology) question about his job status that dozens of other coaches are asked each year, and he responded in an arrogant, aloof, and attacking manner? This is not a man who should be leading a (purportedly) high-major basketball program. He is in over his head, he’s not up to the task, and he’s content to sit back, do next to nothing, and let David Miller bankroll his luxurious retirement.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
User avatar
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 7366
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 8:35 am

Re: Question to the defenders

Postby redpony » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:44 pm

ecm- +1,000
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 9883
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:44 am
Location: on the beach,northern Peru

Re: Question to the defenders

Postby FriscoPMG » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:02 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Need another Jank excuse? From a recent Blum article about Jank’s OOC scheduling.

“People don’t realize," Jankovich said. "You don’t pick who you play. You pick who you try to play, and they say ‘Yes or ‘No’. You get a lot more ‘No’s’ than you get ‘Yes’s.'”

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-m ... difficult/


The North Florida Osprey said YES!

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein

5h
Source: SMU will host North Florida as part of its 20-21 non-conference schedule.
User avatar
FriscoPMG
All-American
 
Posts: 733
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:59 am

Re: Question to the defenders

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:36 am

FriscoPMG wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:Need another Jank excuse? From a recent Blum article about Jank’s OOC scheduling.

“People don’t realize," Jankovich said. "You don’t pick who you play. You pick who you try to play, and they say ‘Yes or ‘No’. You get a lot more ‘No’s’ than you get ‘Yes’s.'”

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-m ... difficult/


The North Florida Osprey said YES!

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein

5h
Source: SMU will host North Florida as part of its 20-21 non-conference schedule.


UNF has actually become a pretty competitive hoops program in the Atlantic Sun but of course SMU fans will know very little about them. Had a friend's son play for their NCAA Tourney team in 2014-15 and they beat Purdue in the regular season that year. They tied Liberty as regular season conference champs last year and played a tough non-conference schedule that included games at Florida, Fla State, Iowa, Creighton, Syracuse & Dayton. They got whipped by all those teams, but I wonder how we would have done with that road schedule? For those who discount A-Sun hoops, anyone recall what happened when we invited Lipscomb to visit Moody? This will not be an easy game and I hope we didn't have to give them a home/home deal because they don't lose many games at home in Jacksonville.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 20622
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Stonebridge Golf Club, NC

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests