PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU will host North Florida in 20-21

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU will host North Florida in 20-21

Postby Joe Exotic's Pony » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:08 pm

Not a sexy name but a solid mid-major program.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status ... 8875511809
Joe Exotic's Pony
Newbie
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:00 pm

Re: SMU will host North Florida in 20-21

Postby Dukie » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:05 pm

Joe Exotic's Pony wrote:Not a sexy name but a solid mid-major program.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status ... 8875511809

Oh c'mon. They made the NCAAs once and lost in a 16 vs 16 First Four play-in game. I had to look that up; had never, ever heard of them.
Dukie
Heisman
 
Posts: 1112
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: SMU will host North Florida in 20-21

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:11 pm

As someone who actually knows about UNF and has a friend who had applied for the HC opening years ago, I posted this in another thread:

UNF has actually become a pretty competitive hoops program in the Atlantic Sun but of course SMU fans will know very little about them. Had a friend's son play for their NCAA Tourney team in 2014-15 and they beat Purdue in the regular season that year. They tied Liberty as regular season conference champs last year and played a tough non-conference schedule that included games at Florida, Fla State, Iowa, Creighton, Syracuse & Dayton. They got whipped by all those teams, but I wonder how we would have done with that road schedule? For those who discount A-Sun hoops, anyone recall what happened when we invited Lipscomb to visit Moody? This will not be an easy game and I hope we didn't have to give them a home/home deal because they don't lose many games at home in Jacksonville.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 20622
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Stonebridge Golf Club, NC

Re: SMU will host North Florida in 20-21

Postby Dukie » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:58 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:As someone who actually knows about UNF and has a friend who had applied for the HC opening years ago, I posted this in another thread:

UNF has actually become a pretty competitive hoops program in the Atlantic Sun but of course SMU fans will know very little about them. Had a friend's son play for their NCAA Tourney team in 2014-15 and they beat Purdue in the regular season that year. They tied Liberty as regular season conference champs last year and played a tough non-conference schedule that included games at Florida, Fla State, Iowa, Creighton, Syracuse & Dayton. They got whipped by all those teams, but I wonder how we would have done with that road schedule? For those who discount A-Sun hoops, anyone recall what happened when we invited Lipscomb to visit Moody? This will not be an easy game and I hope we didn't have to give them a home/home deal because they don't lose many games at home in Jacksonville.

Meh. All this means to me is that I envy their non-conference schedule. Except that I’m sure they had to be road warriors.
Dukie
Heisman
 
Posts: 1112
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: SMU will host North Florida in 20-21

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:48 pm

Someone please tell me this thread is a joke...

North Florida was ranked 175 in the last NET rankings so they would’ve been one of our higher ranked OOC opponents last season. FWIW a win at home against 175 qualifies as a quad 4 win, just what our resume needs.

BTW, I still can’t got over someone calling NF a solid mid major. :roll:
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

Image
User avatar
LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 15550
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:01 am
Location: El Porto, CA 90266

Re: SMU will host North Florida in 20-21

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:15 am

exciting
48-95
User avatar
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 6823
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2002 3:01 am
Location: University Park

Re: SMU will host North Florida in 20-21

Postby Joe Exotic's Pony » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:30 am

I'm no fan of Jank or his scheduling but SMU has brought in way worse than UNF to Moody during his tenure and other regimes.

FWIW, UNF won the Atlantic Sun regular season this past season.

SMU says it has a hard time scheduling good teams in power conferences. I'm not an RPI/BPI/NET expert but playing conference champs in lesser conferences could be one way around the SOS problem?

I think SMU should also play games against upper A-10 and WCC schools.

Why not play strong teams from lesser conferences like SFA, UTA, Sam Houston, TSU, PV and UNT?
Joe Exotic's Pony
Newbie
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:00 pm

Re: SMU will host North Florida in 20-21

Postby Joe Exotic's Pony » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:43 am

UNF has been a D-1 program for 10 years. During that time, the Ospreys have made the A-Sun's championship game three times, one NCAA and one NIT. Seems pretty solid to me.

Side note, anybody on this board who was a fan during the Dement, Tubbs and Doherty eras would have loved those results.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Flo ... basketball
Joe Exotic's Pony
Newbie
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:00 pm

Re: SMU will host North Florida in 20-21

Postby EastStang » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:49 pm

What was the name of that school, Paul something???
"Student Athletes, so that's what you call your slaves" - Eric Cartman 2011
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 11115
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2002 4:01 am

Re: SMU will host North Florida in 20-21

Postby mrydel » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:56 pm

Paul Quinn. Always thought it was nice of him to come to Moody.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
User avatar
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 31536
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Sherwood,AR,USA

Re: SMU will host North Florida in 20-21

Postby ponyboy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:14 pm

Paul's the college equivalent of playing Allen in high school football.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 13118
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2000 4:01 am
Location: University Park,TX US

Re: SMU will host North Florida in 20-21

Postby Dukie » Fri May 01, 2020 4:00 am

Joe Exotic's Pony wrote:I'm no fan of Jank or his scheduling but SMU has brought in way worse than UNF to Moody during his tenure and other regimes.

FWIW, UNF won the Atlantic Sun regular season this past season.

SMU says it has a hard time scheduling good teams in power conferences. I'm not an RPI/BPI/NET expert but playing conference champs in lesser conferences could be one way around the SOS problem?

I think SMU should also play games against upper A-10 and WCC schools.

Why not play strong teams from lesser conferences like SFA, UTA, Sam Houston, TSU, PV and UNT?

The Atlantic Sun did make the Top 25 this year: it was rated the 25th best conference. Maybe we start with one of the others between 8 and 24?

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-baske ... ng-by-conf
Dukie
Heisman
 
Posts: 1112
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: SMU will host North Florida in 20-21

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri May 01, 2020 7:15 am

I am sure Northern Florida is just as excited about playing us.
Shake It Off Moody
User avatar
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 15753
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2000 3:01 am
Location: The 214

Re: SMU will host North Florida in 20-21

Postby Bergermeister » Fri May 01, 2020 2:22 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:I am sure Northern Florida is just as excited about playing us.

I am sure you're right.
48-95
User avatar
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 6823
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2002 3:01 am
Location: University Park

Re: SMU will host North Florida in 20-21

Postby ponyboy » Fri May 01, 2020 4:04 pm

Hope y'all are watching what's happening in football recruiting.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 13118
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2000 4:01 am
Location: University Park,TX US

Next

Return to Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests