PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The basketball board May 2020

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The basketball board May 2020

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu May 14, 2020 12:04 pm

News coming out of the basketball office:
Our friend above and the occasional excuse.

News coming out of the football office:
Takeover Dallas, recruiting their [deleted] off, promoting the program every way possible during a difficult time.

BTW, all I really want is a HC that cares about the program as much as I do, and it would be nice if they did their job well.....
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: The basketball board May 2020

Postby geezerdonk » Thu May 14, 2020 12:31 pm

Preview of the year to come - a big nothing.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Thu May 14, 2020 1:02 pm

I’m not going to argue with you, but you do need to at least acknowledge we added Dayton and Arizona State to the schedule
ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Thu May 14, 2020 2:27 pm

While this staff has failed us in many ways, LA_Mustang has created 2 threads to complain about the lack of news from this staff yet could not get himself to comment on the positive news regarding upgrades in the schedule. We all know about the staffs failings. Heck I think everyone wants to move on from them, but the negativity from a select few posters is almost as tiresome.
mustangxc

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu May 14, 2020 3:39 pm

ponyboy wrote:I’m not going to argue with you, but you do need to at least acknowledge we added Dayton and Arizona State to the schedule

OK, I acknowledge that Jank finally got around to doing the bare minimum required of him with respect to scheduling after a 24-month hiatus. Dayton and Arizona State are the type of teams we should be playing OOC every year. Although Dayton will likely drop way off after losing Toppin. On the road that’s probably a Quadrant 2 game next season.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu May 14, 2020 5:12 pm

mustangxc wrote:While this staff has failed us in many ways, LA_Mustang has created 2 threads to complain about the lack of news from this staff yet could not get himself to comment on the positive news regarding upgrades in the schedule. We all know about the staffs failings. Heck I think everyone wants to move on from them, but the negativity from a select few posters is almost as tiresome.

What is there to comment about on the ASU and Dayton games? They are two good H&Hs and more in line with how we should be scheduling, but they definitely aren’t earthshaking. ASU is a middle of the road P5, similar to Georgia. Dayton just had the greatest year they’ll probably ever have as a program with the best player they’ll probably ever have. He’ll be gone next season as well as a couple of their other better players. They will still be a good mid-major but not a top 25 team like this season.

Our OOC looks better than previous years but currently still doesn’t have a likely top 25 opponent on it. So no, I’m not going to praise Jank for adding a couple of better but far from great opponents. That is his job. Now if he manned up and scheduled Baylor to a H&H or OU or A&M or LSU or Gonzaga, then I’d give him credit. Get us in one of the bigger early season tournaments. He could, he just chooses not to.

Lastly, sorry to bother you with my negative posts but unfortunately that is about all there is to talk about with this program these days. I’ll leave you and the few others that remain on this board to discuss ASU and Dayton until the cows come home. Have fun.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri May 15, 2020 2:15 am

We’re 6 months out from season tip-off.... if there is one.

Jank is sheltering in place.... which is nothing new for him. He’s gonna have some mean guitar chops.

At this point all we can hope for us to keep the main part of the roster intact. If that happens this becomes an interesting season with plenty more name (if not ranked) opponents on the OOC schedule.
We can hope for a meaningful holiday season tourney.

We are who we are right now.....

Deep in the backcourt: Davis, Jolly, McNeil, Band

Solid in the wing department with #mikehunt

Suspect in the middle with Jasey and Chaggy

Can Young help?
Will C4 develop?
What of this McBride dude?

Then there’s my scrap heap.... apparently all great guys and good students possessing less than stellar basketball skill: CJ, Doogie and Ray.

It’s not a bad team. How they are coached will be telling.

No excuses please Coach.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun May 17, 2020 7:25 am

Looks like several of our conference foes have been working the transfer market with WSU, Memphis, UCF, Temple, Cincy & Tulane all adding 4 star guys who might help those teams next season. Meanwhile, the 2020-2021 SMU basketball team, coming off a .500 and 7th place finish in AAC play, will be fortunate to return all of last year's roster with the addition of McNeill in the backcourt. Sure wish we could have added another big man but at this point I don't know what to expect and just hope we have a basketball season. Really disappointed by how the 2019-2020 season ended.
Charleston Pony

Postby Shetland » Sun May 17, 2020 10:43 pm

No scholarships to give. The guys that aren't going to play are too smart and too close to a degree to leave to play somewhere else.

Team shoukd be pretty good next year. What scares the heck out if me is we have at least 3 if not 4 or 5 scholarships for 2021 and not a single hard lean from any of the recruiting sites.
Shetland
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon May 18, 2020 6:38 am

Jolly, Douglas, Mike, Jasey & Chargois all have just one more year so if anyone else leaves, Jank or whoever might be coaching here will have a complete roster rebuild ahead of him. We know Davis and Feron are also "year to year" at best, so we could be talking about Jank as the guy who completely flushed the SMU hoops program...similar to the way we all bashed JJ for the way he left the football program.
Charleston Pony

Postby indianmustang » Mon May 18, 2020 8:15 am

damn thats disappointing to read,hopefully we get some good news
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon May 18, 2020 9:42 am

Shetland wrote:No scholarships to give. The guys that aren't going to play are too smart and too close to a degree to leave to play somewhere else.

Team shoukd be pretty good next year. What scares the heck out if me is we have at least 3 if not 4 or 5 scholarships for 2021 and not a single hard lean from any of the recruiting sites.

I can think of at least two guys on the roster who could medically retire and make room for talent that will actually contribute next year. Of course, that would require Jank to get out of his garage band basement and actually put forth some effort, and we all know that’s too much to ask of the man.

EDIT: Also, at least one of those guys probably couldn’t transfer to any other D1 program in the nation on scholarship. Think about that.
East Coast Mustang

Postby mustangxc » Mon May 18, 2020 9:53 am

Exactly! They can still graduate from SMU, they just wouldn't be able to suit up for SMU anymore. It's not like Douglas or Ray play for SMU anyway. Put them on academic scholarship and add two players to the roster. I really don't understand why that is so difficult for Jankovich to do. Heck I don't even care if we add two, we really just need one front court stud. The other scholarship would be great to pocket in case there is an opportunity for an amazing mid-season transfer, which is very likely given all the uncertainty in the world right now.
Last edited by mustangxc on Mon May 18, 2020 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
mustangxc

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon May 18, 2020 11:01 am

mustangxc wrote:Exactly! They can still graduate from SMU, they just wouldn't be able to suit up for SMU anymore. It's not like Douglas or Ray play for SMU anyway. Put them on academic scholarship and add to players to the roster. I really don't understand why that is so difficult for Jankovich to do. Heck I don't even care if we add two, we really just need one front court stud. The other scholarship would be great to pocket in case there is an opportunity for an amazing mid-season transfer, which is very likely given all the uncertainty in the world right now.

I’d love to see the Jankers on here try to defend this. They’ll just say we’re being too mean or something
East Coast Mustang

Postby mustangxc » Mon May 18, 2020 11:50 am

I don't think there are any Jankers left. I'm as close as there is to it as I never make it personal. When he adds talent, I praise him for it. When he schedules up, I give him credit for that too! When we make a last minute comeback I applaud him for that. However, when he misses out on adding talented players to the roster, fails to add a preseason tournament, and the team has several second half if not last minute meltdowns along with a several game losing streak ie collapse to end the season I reserve the right to torch him for that too! For me it's never personal. If he goes on to do what we need him to do for SMU hoops to get back to where Larry Brown had it, then I have no issue with keeping him on. I would have fired him at the end of the 2019 season, but that is not going to impact my decision going forward if he ever has an epiphany and does right by SMU.
mustangxc

Next

Return to Basketball