PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Isiah Mike Story

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Isiah Mike Story

Postby shadowman » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:22 am

Nice article about Isiah Mike and all the parameters involved in making his decision whether or not to come back. Seems like he is still undecided and probably won't make a final decision until August.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-m ... n-in-mind/
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Re: Isiah Mike Story

Postby Terry Webster » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:23 am

Read on Twitter that he is staying in the draft and not coming back. Best of luck but we are going to miss him.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:10 am

He needs to feed his young family. Enjoyed having him on the team
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby CA Mustang » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:33 am

CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:24 pm

So we now have two open scholarships. It would be nice if we had a sniper in recruiting that could put them to good use.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:55 pm

He's already been in school for 4 years so if he has a guaranteed deal, can't blame him for jumping on it. Hope Jank and his staff have been preparing and can replace Mike's production...assuming we are even able to have a full season in 2020-2021
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyPride » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:35 am

From Isiaha Mike's Instragram account:

"First and foremost, all glory to God. I have been extremely blessed to be in the position I'm in. I have the opportunity to make my dreams become a reality and I couldn't be more grateful. To my SMU family, thank you for welcoming me with open arms and making my time at SMU the best years of my life. To the squad, you guys know I would have loved to been fighting beside you guys for that chip. Know that I'll be watching and cheering wherever I'll be. To my family, thank you for supporting me every step of the way, love forever and always. After months of deliberating with my family, I have decided to opt out on my final year of eligibility and fully pursue my professional career with representation."
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby JasonB » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:04 am

As I said in an another thread, this is absolutely the right decision. Go make some money in Europe and have a chance to shine in front of NBA scouts rather than risk a cancelled college basketball season and no chance to audition.
JasonB

Postby geezerdonk » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:37 pm

Translation: Why in God's name would I waste a year on a dead end team with a lame duck coach in a third rate conference playing before fourth rate fans in an empty venue.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:56 pm

Is that you, Zig Ziglar?
ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:53 pm

geezerdonk wrote:Translation: Why in God's name would I waste a year on a dead end team with a lame duck coach in a third rate conference playing before fourth rate fans in an empty venue.

Given that you're a fourth rate fan, why should anyone listen to you? :P
mustangxc

Isiah Mike Story

Postby geezerdonk » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:59 am

Why indeed. And at this point fourth rate is aspirational.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:16 pm

I don't have a comment on whether it's good enough for me personally, but the fact is that the AAC can be fairly described as a second rate conference, slightly behind the PAC-12. I suspect we'll be in the mix for a conference championship this year, even without Mike. And I suspect that going to the Tourney as an at-large team is not a huge reach. So I don't get all this "we suck" noise from one of our own. Are there questions? Sure.
ponyboy

Postby JasonB » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:32 am

ponyboy wrote:I don't have a comment on whether it's good enough for me personally, but the fact is that the AAC can be fairly described as a second rate conference, slightly behind the PAC-12. I suspect we'll be in the mix for a conference championship this year, even without Mike. And I suspect that going to the Tourney as an at-large team is not a huge reach. So I don't get all this "we suck" noise from one of our own. Are there questions? Sure.

On the "plus" side, this will allow Hunt to slide into the 4 position, which is a better fit for him.

Guard rotation (1/2/3): Davis, Jolly, McNeil, Band, Smith, Douglas, McBride - this is good enough to compete in the league at the top level. We have 4 players who can make plays on office, Band is a really strong defender, and Smith is a potential 5th player who can add significant value.

"big" rotation (4/5): Hunt, Jasey, Ethan, Ray, Young - this group needs to improve significantly to compete in the league. As expected, with the longer 3 point line, Ethan's productivity dropped dramatically. Hunt needs to add bulk to be a consistent rebound and improve defensively. Jasey is big, but not athletic. Hunt is really the only player in this group who should be starting in the AAC.

Our expectation from a program perspective should be to compete for the conference championship. However, unless someone really steps up, the bigs are going to hold us back from being a strong defensive team against good competition, which is most likely going to prevent us from really challenging for the top. I think our offensive efficiency will be better than last year, but that wasn't really the problem.
JasonB

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:59 am

That's fair, Jason, and seems about right.
ponyboy

Return to Basketball