PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Men's basketball announces non-conference schedule

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Men's basketball announces non-conference schedule

Postby PonyPride » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:14 pm

From SMUMustangs.com:

Season Opens At Moody Coliseum On Nov. 25

DALLAS (SMU) – SMU's 2020-21 season will open at Moody Coliseum on Nov. 25 against Sam Houston State. The remaining non-conference schedule includes home games Nov. 30 vs. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Dec. 2 vs Houston Baptist, Dec. 5 at Dayton and Dec. 8 vs Vanderbilt. The Mustangs could potentially add to the non-conference slate.

The previously scheduled non-conference matchups at Moody Coliseum against Evansville and UNLV will be pushed to the 2021-22 season. The home-and-home series with Arizona State moves back a season as well, starting in Tempe in 2021-22 with a return game at Moody Coliseum in 2022-23. The game against Georgia at Moody Coliseum was eliminated from the schedule when the Global Sports Invitational was canceled due to the start date of the season being moved from Nov. 10 to Nov. 25.

The American Athletic Conference schedule will be 20 games in a double round-robin format. The American Men's Basketball Championship is March 11-14 (Thursday-Sunday) at Dickies Arena in Fort Worth. The Mustangs were picked third in the AAC preseason poll behind Houston and Memphis. Kendric Davis and Tyson Jolly were selected preseason all-conference.

Head Coach Tim Jankovich enters his fifth season leading the Mustangs with a 90-49 record at SMU, that includes a 63-15 (.808) mark at Moody Coliseum. In the past four seasons, the Mustangs have seven wins over top-20 teams.

SMU finished the shortened 2019-20 season with a 19-11 overall record. The Mustangs went 15-2 at Moody Coliseum, winning eight of nine home games in league play. SMU led the AAC in scoring (72.9), field goal percentage (45.1%), free-throw percentage (76.2%, 25th NCAA), assists (15.6, 19th NCAA) and assist-to-turnover ratio (1.2).

Day Date — Opponent — Location
Wed. Nov. 25 — Sam Houston State — Moody Coliseum
Mon. Nov. 30 — Texas A&M – Corpus Christi — Moody Coliseum
Wed. Dec. 2 — Houston Baptist — Moody Coliseum
Sat. Dec. 5 — at Dayton — Dayton, Ohio
Tue. Dec. 8 — Vanderbilt — Moody Coliseum
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Men's basketball announces non-conference schedule

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:13 pm

I love getting the experience playing in Dayton in case we are in the First Four.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby okcponyfan » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:31 am

do we know if they will be on espn+ or just smu.tv ?
okcponyfan
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:02 pm

Most pre-season prognosticators expect both SMU and Dayton to be NCAA Tournament worthy so I would think they will find a slot for that game on one of the ESPN stations. Who knows whether games will be played as scheduled by the time we get into early December.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:58 am

Meanwhile, with all the talk about how hard Jank is trying to find another game this week, Rice, UNT and A&M all have open weeks. I wonder if any of them are wanting to find additional games? I assume exams are going to become an issue this week but don't know all the schools' schedules.
Charleston Pony

Postby gohogs14 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:08 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Meanwhile, with all the talk about how hard Jank is trying to find another game this week, Rice, UNT and A&M all have open weeks. I wonder if any of them are wanting to find additional games? I assume exams are going to become an issue this week but don't know all the schools' schedules.

Arkansas just had to cancel our game against Tulsa, wish we could work something out
gohogs14
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:35 pm

If Arkansas was prepared to travel to Tulsa and we were prepared to host a game that same day (Tues 12/8) maybe they can work this out? Would be a nice substitution game for both teams I would think
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:35 pm

Be fun to play the Razorbacks
ponyboy

Postby okcponyfan » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:29 pm

there are games to be had if we want to play.

Its kind of like finding another football for the next 2 weeks.

If the coaching would want to play another game, we could find another game to play.

BYU and coastal carolina were able to get a football game together within 54 hours from kickoff, and scheduling a basketball game would be 10x easier.
okcponyfan
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:57 pm

I’ll take Coach’s word on it that we are trying.
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:06 am

Arkansas managed to schedule a game vs winless Southern and won easily last night. Jank said after the Dayton win he was trying hard to schedule a game that would pit our guys against stronger competition so Arkansas seemed like a good fit. I hope he at least reached out to them
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:23 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Arkansas managed to schedule a game vs winless Southern and won easily last night. Jank said after the Dayton win he was trying hard to schedule a game that would pit our guys against stronger competition so Arkansas seemed like a good fit. I hope he at least reached out to them
I do not know if they did but word here is that Arkansas had a deal almost put together with someone and at the last minute closed the deal with Southern.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:54 pm

Jank keeps talking about a possible game at Moody on Monday 12/21. Wonder if he's talking to UNT who had their game vs LSU cancelled and won't have another game until January. Can't find many "day trip" opponents who can put together an 11th hour meeting
Charleston Pony

Postby CA Mustang » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:16 pm

I thought I saw on Twitter that SMU will host Southern Illinois next Monday, but I guess I imagined it.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Terry Webster » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:43 pm

On ESPN the other night they mentioned that they had a game against New Mexico fall through and that at halftime of the ecu game they got word that a Monday night they had hoped to play might not happen.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Basketball