PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Post SHS bball take

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Post SHS bball take

Postby JasonB » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:25 pm

Overall - lots of people who can score. Much better pace of play than the past. We lack a shutdown defender. We were much more active defensively as a team than last season, but there are lots of individual gaps. When their player got hot, we didn't have anyone we could stick on him and prevent him from recieving the ball. I thought Band would develop into that player after last season, but I thought he was not good yesterday, especially on the defensive side of the ball. I think we have 2 high quality starters in the league (maybe 3, pending McNeil). We are league average at the 4 and below average at the 5. But for now, I would say 2 elite, two average, one below average. Without Jolly, it is 1 elite, 3 average, and one below average. We have a ton of depth though, better depth than most teams in the league and will win some games we just flat out outscore the other team. We should run non stop because of it. I think a league rank of 3/4 and an NCAA bid is probably about right, with Jolly, but we are significantly behind Houston IMHO. Our depth and scoring will allow us to put a lot of pressure on other teams in a close game. But if teams manage to slow the game down and turn something into a half court game, we are going to struggle defensively again. If Jolly doesn't come back though, we will struggle against the better teams in the league, and are probably looking at a 5/6/7 spot.

Player assessment, with projected starting 5:
KD - legit
Jolly - legit

McNeil - I think the third spot was between him and Band, and after watching Band last night, there is an opening here. I'm not sure if he is a quality starter or not, still TBD. Until we see more, I think he is a below average starter in the league.

Hunt - will start at the four, but honestly still hasn't filled out. I think he will struggle defensively against more athletic 4s and will get overpowered against bigger 4s. He will out athlete lesser competiton, but still doesn't flow in the offense. I hope I am wrong, but I see him as just an average 4 in the league as a whole. Maybe I am beign too harsh though, we will see.

Jasey - Will most likely start at the 5. I don't expect much offensively, but his feet are really slow defensively, and last night he missed his blockout assignment on rebounds a couple of times on the violent putbacks. Needs to improve defense and rebounding to make up for his lack of offense. Otherwise, he is below average starter in the league.

Bench

Band - Disappointed that he couldn't be that defensive stopper last night. I do think, though, with his overall game while he would be average to below average starter in the league, he is an above average player to have off the bench with his overall game, and ability to play the 1, 2, and 3.

Smith - Really nice shot, love the confidence on offense. Not scared, strong on the ball. His feet are all over the place on defense though, but he has good size as a guard. Not ready for a starting spot yet, but again, an above average piece in the league coming off the bench because of his size and shooting ability. Second player off the bench behind Band, and at the 2/3.

Douglas - Everyone is going to look at the box score and see the numbers and wonder where it came from. But a totally, 100% different player. Stallion would be proud. No longer scared to recieve the ball, fumbling it and disrupting the offense. Looked for the ball, wanted the ball, passed it an made agressive movements with authority. He was also very active on defense. He has limitations athletically, so let's not blow things out of proportion. But as the third player off the bench at the 3, he is way above league average. A nice depth piece off the bench.

Chagois - I think the intention will be to play him at the 4. When Jolly can't play, he is going to start with Hunt at the 3. It is a much better fit for his game, and allowed him to be really smooth offensively last night. He has really slow feet defensively, which is going to be a liability on defense against athletic 4s. I would say league average at the 4 as a starter because of defensive issues, but he is way, way above league average off the bench.

Ray - In the mix as a reserve at the 5. His athleticism isn't what it was as a frosh, but still tries to be active and physical. Just a guy coming off the bench at the 5. Below league average.

Young - This is the hope at the 5. Not there physically yet, but is athletic. Athletic enough to have an impact on both sides of the court, defensively and then on the offensive glass. Had one rebound last night on the offensive side that was really impressive. If he can fight past Ray, it would be a great sign, because he adds another dimension athletically. I'm not saying he is there yet, but you can see why the staff took him on.

McBride -
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Post SHS bball take

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:46 pm

Granted it was SHSU, but really good to see production from both Douglas and Smith IV. Agree I'd like to see this team play up tempo given the depth of scorers. With Anei, Jolly and McNeill this team would be very competitive in the AAC
Charleston Pony

Postby Dement-ed » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:54 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Granted it was SHSU, but really good to see production from both Douglas and Smith IV.

That's right. We can't expect 26 points from them in every game, of course. But if we get Anei added and get Jolly back, they could be valuable contributors.
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:57 am

I agree we are still missing some high-end individual defensive talent, but it is obvious the five-on-five practices have really improved our overall team defense and allowed us to play much more cohesively on that end.

I hope the team can maintain its discipline throughout the season especially if the number of available players dwindles.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby JasonB » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:58 am

I completely forgot about Anei. You add him and Jolly to the lineup and that gives you two studs (KD, Jolly), and three players in Anei, McNeil and Hunt who each have the potential to be above average at their position. Jasey, Ethan, Smith, Band and now Douglas might not be good starting players in the league, but they are way above average off the bench.
JasonB

Postby DC-Pony » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:16 pm

Great analysis and post, Jason. Thanks!

I wasn’t able to see the game.

What you say about the defense synchs with what we saw last year. Frankly I think our more athletic players could be a lot better defensively than they’ve been to date, if they committed themselves to it.

Totally with you regarding the fast tempo...I think it suits our talent and I think it maximizes KD’s impact. KF has a great handle and is smooth to the hoop. I felt our slower tempo last year really boxed in his potential. Don’t know how much of that was the game plan and how much was KD’s call on a given possession.

So great to see Douglas’s stats and to read your assessment. I realize it’s one game against a marginal opponent. But, it’s a sign that he could be a transformed player. I hope so. And good for him if it plays out that way!
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby JoeKidd » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:59 pm

Why didn't Jolly play.....is he hurt?
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby redpony » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:27 pm

he gone
redpony