PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

MBB v Dayton Game Thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: MBB v Dayton Game Thread

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:34 pm

Now just hope we can find someone to play before ECU on the 16th
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyPride » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:52 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:How about that finish! Bandoumel with his best game as a Mustang.

In your honor, I asked Tim Jankovich about this after the game.

Video coming on PF.com :D
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby ponyboy » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:58 pm

CP’s been your virtual color commentator on here of late, ha.
ponyboy

Postby JasonB » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:14 pm

While Dayton is likely only a middle of the pack A10 team this year, that isn't anything to sneeze at, on the road. This was a very nice win for a few reasons.

- Questions were about our defense, really stepped it up today. The defensive effort was pretty strong overall. Dayton didn't struggle because they were missing open shots (like we were). Our defense was doing well. Giving up the three the last possession was inexcusable, but the defensive possession before that was very good, we would not have done that last year.

- The offense was off the whole game. We missed open jumpers, too much 1v1. Missed shots at the rim. Most concerning, the ball movement wasn't as fast or crisp as we saw previously. Dayton did a really good job of preventing SMU from getting out on the fast break. The concern coming in was whether or not we could be effective in the half court offensively. While it wasn't as smooth as it had been, if SMU had hit their open shots in the first half, the offensive productivity is much better. That Temple game is probably going to illustrate if we are going to struggle in the half court all season long, because that will be another physical game.

- The refs letting the teams play physically was to the detriment of the SMU team. Dayton had broader players, SMU is more athletic. If they had called more fouls, it would have also allowed the SMU depth to play more of a factor. You could see players, especially Davis, get frustrated with the non-calls, but it was good that they turned it around and fought through it.

- Really important game for Davis today. I thought he was poor for large stretches, forcing the play to a certain extent. But at the end of the day he kept his head enough to get back in the game and make some plays. Need more consistency from him in the difficult games and on the road, but good to stick in it.

- Same for Hunt. He had an awful game for the first 3/4, and was benched for a large stretch. But he came back at the end and played strong at the end of the game. We would not have seen that in the past. Props to him to showing at the end.

- And Band. We needed someone to step up and take the game, on the road, on the offensive end. He did it. Full props to him. The team needed that.

While I don't think Dayton are going to be world beaters in the A10, I think this was a nice road win, and especially the way it happened will give them team some additional confidence in future road games.
JasonB

Postby ponyboy » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:43 pm

I don’t think Kendrick played poorly early as much as Dayton did a good job against him defensively, as they did against Hunt. Bandoumel’s a funny player — he looks awkward and out of control. I was actually a little excited when he got fouls and had to sit for a while. But you gotta hand it to him in terms of effort.
ponyboy

Postby PonyPride » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:55 pm

ponyboy wrote:CP’s been your virtual color commentator on here of late, ha.

:)
New York Times

twitter.com/PonyFans

PonyPride

Postby PonyPride » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:55 pm

PonyPride wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:How about that finish! Bandoumel with his best game as a Mustang.

In your honor, I asked Tim Jankovich about this after the game.

Video coming on PF.com :D

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=89246
New York Times

twitter.com/PonyFans

PonyPride

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:09 pm

If not his best game, this one was certainly right up there. I do remember him hitting an unlikely three to win one last year, but he played well this game start to finish...except that he was our only player to miss FTs today :lol:
Charleston Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:09 pm

mustangxc wrote:The location is irrelevant as all teams will likely be playing in Indianapolis this season.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... dianapolis

True, but Coach Jankovich and his staff can still use that information in 2022 or 2023 if we make the First Four.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:24 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:If not his best game, this one was certainly right up there. I do remember him hitting an unlikely three to win one last year, but he played well this game start to finish...except that he was our only player to miss FTs today :lol:

His shot beat #20 Houston in OT.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:18 pm

When we went up by 3 with just 16 seconds left, the ESPN+ announcers were saying we would
certainly foul immediately so they would get at most 2 fouls shots. We would then get the ball
ahead by at least 1. Seemed like the best strategy to me. What happened?
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:31 pm

PlanoStang wrote:When we went up by 3 with just 16 seconds left, the ESPN+ announcers were saying we would
certainly foul immediately so they would get at most 2 fouls shots. We would then get the ball
ahead by at least 1. Seemed like the best strategy to me. What happened?

That certainly would have been how I played it.

Coach Jankovich probably trusted the defense to make a stop. We should probably spend some of our five-on-five practice this week working on late-game situations up three.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Terry Webster » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:45 pm

Dayton was also only 4-14 at that point. Not sure it was a bad call. Remember how we missed a ton of free throws at Georgia last year to lose there?
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:07 pm

Normally I would want to foul, but given Dayton's low shooting percentage beyond the arc, they were extremely lucky to nail that shot. Fortunately, Bandoumel converted and we escaped with the win in regulation!
mustangxc

Postby ponyboy » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:11 pm

We moved up to 39 in Sagarin over the weekend, by the way. And we got one vote in the AP poll, which puts us effectively at #41 in the nation. Sure, all this is way early. But interesting.

Also, we got a Vitale mention:

TEAM OF THE WEEK: SMU. The Mustangs moved to 4-0 with a win at Dayton.
ponyboy

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball