PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Official game thread; 12/16 opener vs ECU

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Official game thread; 12/16 opener vs ECU

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:01 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:I'm still very cautious about this team. It seems great on paper but it would be nice to see how we do against a tough opponent. Hopefully 12/30 against Temple gives us that look right before the big one against Houston. Glad to be undefeated.

Temple is supposed to play their 1st game of the season tomorrow before traveling to Houston next week so they will have played only 2 games before we meet them. No idea what kind of team they might have but we know Houston will be the team to beat in the American this year.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:33 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:I'm still very cautious about this team. It seems great on paper but it would be nice to see how we do against a tough opponent. Hopefully 12/30 against Temple gives us that look right before the big one against Houston. Glad to be undefeated.

ECU probably has a better team than Temple does this season. Houston will be our second test with our first having been the win at Dayton.
mustangxc

Postby JasonB » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:21 pm

This is a way different team than last season. Last year, we lose both of those games. We wouldn't have played good enough defense to win a cold shooting game against Dayton, and in the ECU game we would have been down double digits at half with no D and a struggling offense, and the D wouldn't have been able to spark the offense like it did in the second half.
JasonB

Postby Terry Webster » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:29 pm

Being a bit deeper, especially at guard, gives us the chance to be more aggressive on defense in the perimeter, which makes us a whole lot better. Having Yor patrolling the lane is a huge plus also.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:04 pm

JasonB wrote:This is a way different team than last season. Last year, we lose both of those games. We wouldn't have played good enough defense to win a cold shooting game against Dayton, and in the ECU game we would have been down double digits at half with no D and a struggling offense, and the D wouldn't have been able to spark the offense like it did in the second half.

I totally agree. Being able to practice defensive five-on-five over the past two seasons is really starting to show.

I look forward to seeing what we can do during conference play.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:03 pm

Good feedback guys. My simple assumption with Temple over ECU came from ESPNs power index having Temple higher.

Because of the last few seasons, I'm just too cautious especially when it comes to conference play where we generally did well in OOC but not so much in conference.

Anyways I really hope this team get into the top 3 of the conference especially with so many teams down this year.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Basketball