PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

MBB v Temple Game Thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: MBB v Temple Game Thread

Postby ponyboy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:10 pm

Nice road win. Man, seemed like the refs were letting ‘em play today.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:32 pm

Any road win is a good win. Wasn't able to watch or even listen today but at one point I checked the box score and saw we had only one offensive rebound on our 1st 17 missed FGs. The guys finished with 7 offensive rebounds on 29 missed FGs so much better effort on the boards in that 2nd half. Those 2nd chance buckets are one of the key stats I've always looked at. I know Coach Brown used to preach it. Of course, he always wanted to make more FTs than the other team attempts. Today was pretty ugly from that standpoint.

Also, looking at the box score I love the fact that Jank has settled into an 8 man rotation and nobody played more than 35 minutes or less than 13 minutes. Much improved balance from years past
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:25 pm

Surprised to see no Douglas today, at least for a few minutes in the first half.

SMU pulls away in the first half if we hit our free throws. Really surprising to see that be a challenge for us in this game.

Nice to see SMU run an effective offense with very limited fast break opportunities. That is something I wanted to see from this game. Temple at home isn't going to get into a running match, but we were able to execute effectively in the half court.

We struggled a little defensively, not as much pressure on the ball as in some of the previous games. I think the layoff and no Douglas had to do with that and not running more full court press.

Nice conference win on the road, and sets up a good matchup between what look like the top two teams in conference.
JasonB

Postby mrydel » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:09 am

Douglas was ill and stayed in Dallas
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Hal » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:14 pm

PonyPride wrote:Will Douglas (illness) did not make the trip

Was in the game thread
Hal
Varsity

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:10 pm

I have a feeling that road wins are going to be hard to come by this year in the conference so this one was big. Lets beat Houston this Sunday!!
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby longbuzzer » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:50 am

Listening to the game, I thought we won, but the Dallas Morning News reported we lost to Temple 79-71 on Wednesday. This is in the College Briefs section, page 6 of the January 1 SportsDay section.

Bummer.
longbuzzer
Junior Varsity

Postby mrydel » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:56 am

longbuzzer wrote:Listening to the game, I thought we won, but the Dallas Morning News reported we lost to Temple 79-71 on Wednesday. This is in the College Briefs section, page 6 of the January 1 SportsDay section.

Bummer.
Saw that in the Arkansas paper today. I guess in my old age I saw things differently than the always reliable media coverage of events.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Previous

Return to Basketball