PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

More MBB postponements

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

More MBB postponements

Postby PonyPride » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:50 pm

Per an AAC statement released through SMU athletics:

American Athletic Conference Announces Changes to Men’s Basketball Schedule

IRVING, Texas – The American Athletic Conference has announced changes to the men’s basketball schedule.

The SMU games scheduled against Wichita State for Feb. 25 in Wichita, Kan., and Feb. 28 in Dallas, have been postponed due to a continuation of a suspension of activities at SMU.

The East Carolina-Tulsa matchup scheduled for Feb. 27 has been postponed due to a continuation of a suspension of activities at East Carolina.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: More MBB postponements

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:30 pm

Looking more and more like we could have another disappointing ending to this basketball season. Are they still planning on holding the AAC Tourney? I've read that some teams confident of "auto bids" might decide not to play in their conference tournaments
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:28 am

I see the AAC Tourney is still on but can't imagine at this point any way to make up all of our postponements. Big question right now is whether SMU will be able to travel to Cincy for the March 4th game that could be really important in seeding the tournament, or whether SMU will even be able to finish this season. Really disappointing because I thought we had a roster that could be competitive this year.
Charleston Pony

Postby Terry Webster » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:07 am

Charleston Pony wrote:I see the AAC Tourney is still on but can't imagine at this point any way to make up all of our postponements. Big question right now is whether SMU will be able to travel to Cincy for the March 4th game that could be really important in seeding the tournament, or whether SMU will even be able to finish this season. Really disappointing because I thought we had a roster that could be competitive this year.

The game up here is on the schedule just released by the AAC. Who knows by next week though.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:36 pm

Unlike other conferences that are now starting to call games "cancellations", I haven't seen anything other than "postponements" of AAC games. Not sure how a full schedule is going to be played at this point as our guys would have to play 9 games between now and 3/11. ECU would have to play 10 games. Obviously that is not going to happen so I wonder if they are going to try to follow the original seeding format even with teams playing a different number of games and not playing some teams at all (no WSU, Tulane or USF for our guys). Most likely SMU would play Cincy in a 4/5 matchup. It does not appear our remaining originally scheduled games with Cincy and Tulsa will have any bearing on seeding unless we win out and Memphis loses 2 of their 3 remaining games in which case we could move up to the 3 seed? Meanwhile, Wichita State is sitting as the 1 seed and could avoid 2 games against us and one vs Memphis. What a mess!
Charleston Pony

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:51 pm

With no MBB having been played for almost three weeks, I was planning to watch the SMU-Memphis soccer match on ESPN+. However, even that game is not coming on.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:48 am

The game scheduled for Thursday, March 4th, against Cincinnati has been cancelled. The game will not be made up.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:03 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Unlike other conferences that are now starting to call games "cancellations", I haven't seen anything other than "postponements" of AAC games.

Cancellations today!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby tristatecoog » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:02 pm

We still have next Sunday's game vs. Tulsa at 2 p.m. that might get played. Rooting for a big Pony win for more reasons than one.

If it gets played, we'll get three of our five pack games in.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Mustangsabu » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:16 pm

What on earth is the point of all this? Is anyone paying attention to keeping these kids safe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mtrout » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:52 pm

Is anyone paying attention to keeping them safe? Surely you jest. Check SMU’s resources devoted to all this. Maybe you can pick up the 7 figure tab.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby CA Mustang » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:00 am

H-E-B Mustang wrote:With no MBB having been played for almost three weeks, I was planning to watch the SMU-Memphis soccer match on ESPN+. However, even that game is not coming on.

For some reason, they had to play it on the lacrosse field (hence, no TV). viewtopic.php?f=5&t=89485
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby indianmustang » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:43 pm

we are running out of options and may not make NIT
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:05 pm

indianmustang wrote:we are running out of options and may not make NIT

Yeah.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ponyboy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:56 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:What on earth is the point of all this? Is anyone paying attention to keeping these kids safe?

The kids are not in any danger whatsoever from covid. It just does not pose any demonstrable risk to people their age. But I think I get your larger point, which is to ask why we appear not to be doing more to keep these guys clean so we can play.
ponyboy

Next

Return to Basketball