PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

More MBB postponements

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: More MBB postponements

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:36 pm

ponyboy wrote:
Mustangsabu wrote:What on earth is the point of all this? Is anyone paying attention to keeping these kids safe?

The kids are not in any danger whatsoever from covid. It just does not pose any demonstrable risk to people their age. But I think I get your larger point, which is to ask why we appear not to be doing more to keep these guys clean so we can play.

So "we" can play or "they" can play? Do we even know how many of our players may have tested positive at this point? To say they are in no danger ignores recent reports that suggest Covid could lead to permanent lung damage and COPD, even with younger and previously healthy people. I've been surprised to hear NBA guys talk about how hard it has been to get their wind back, even after having been declared "recovered". There's still so much we don't know about this virus and all of it's mutations.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:51 pm

Do you have any hard data on those reports of secondary effects? I’m not being cute - serious question. I do know that Kendrick had covid back in the early summer and may have struggled a bit to get over it.
ponyboy

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:55 pm

CA Mustang wrote:
H-E-B Mustang wrote:With no MBB having been played for almost three weeks, I was planning to watch the SMU-Memphis soccer match on ESPN+. However, even that game is not coming on.

For some reason, they had to play it on the lacrosse field (hence, no TV). viewtopic.php?f=5&t=89485

Thanks for the information. I saw that the game was being played, but I didn't know about the change of pitch.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby JasonB » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:51 pm

ponyboy wrote:
Mustangsabu wrote:What on earth is the point of all this? Is anyone paying attention to keeping these kids safe?

The kids are not in any danger whatsoever from covid. It just does not pose any demonstrable risk to people their age. But I think I get your larger point, which is to ask why we appear not to be doing more to keep these guys clean so we can play.

Wrong, yet again.

https://people.com/sports/clemson-defen ... -covid-19/

And, yet again, if you look at causes of death for young people, Covid is in the top 3 last year. Young people don't die in general, but when they do, Covid was a main factor.

Also, there is not a strong grasp of the longer-term impacts of some Covid infections across age ranges when it damages the lungs. In some cases, with pre-existing conditions (see the asthma case above) it can do some bad things. But sure how prevalent that is across the population.
JasonB

Postby horsemanx » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:15 pm

It's such a difficult situation.

Like the short-sighted consumers who are against nuclear energy but still want their stereo and electric guitar, the student-athletes are receiving very generous all-expenses packages to attend the university with an obligation to play a sport in return.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:26 pm

No one ever signed a scholarship knowing they would be risking possible life-altering health due to exposure to a virus. The only players that expose themselves to that sort of risk on a regular basis are football players. To say they are being compensated for that risk is disingenuous. If it really is much ado about nothing, universities should assume the lifetime risk for the players for covering any health conditions that result from infection if the infection occurs while they are at their institutions and doesn't involve negligence on the part of the individual.
mustangxc

Postby ponyboy » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:25 pm

Jason: 81 and 2,036. Those are your numbers for covid deaths vs other causes for kids 15-24 in the US last month. Eighty freaking one died of covid. 2,036 of causes other than covid.

As always, let me know if you want to check out the data. Happy to send it to you.
ponyboy

Postby Treadway21 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:38 pm

Chances are the players caught it from activities unrelated to their actual sport. I doubt not playing really reduces the chance of contracting the infection by any measurable amount. The football with many more members and more physical contact managed to make it through the season.

Needless to say, the current state of the program is a shambles - and just just due to COVID.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Previous

Return to Basketball