PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Messages from MBB players

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Messages from MBB players

Postby PonyPride » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:52 pm

Members of the SMU men's basketball team have taken to social media to thank fans:

ETHAN CHARGOIS
"Pony Fans thank you for all of your support over the past 4 years y'all are the best"

FERON HUNT
"Thank you SMU (heart emoji) I love you all. #PonyUp"

KENDRIC DAVIS
"PonyFans thank you all for your support through the up and downs everyday y'all are the best"
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Messages from MBB players

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:23 am

Would love to hear "looking forward to next year" (at SMU, of course). Why does this translate to me as just their polite way of saying adios?
Charleston Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:55 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Would love to hear "looking forward to next year" (at SMU, of course). Why does this translate to me as just their polite way of saying adios?

Yeah
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mustangxc » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:41 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Would love to hear "looking forward to next year" (at SMU, of course). Why does this translate to me as just their polite way of saying adios?

I understand and agree, but this is the exact same scenario from last year and they all came back so at this point don't sweat it and just hope for the best.
mustangxc

Postby ponyboy » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:32 pm

That and I think players are keeping their options open given the free agency that’s in effect going to happen.
ponyboy

Postby Terry Webster » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:12 pm

McNeil has entered the portal.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:16 pm

Terry Webster wrote:McNeil has entered the portal.

Looks like he might be a head case. I understand transferring once but after that you need to look in the mirror.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:20 pm

mustangxc wrote:
Terry Webster wrote:McNeil has entered the portal.

Looks like he must be a head case. I understand transferring once but after that you need to look in the mirror.

I suspect it has to do with him not getting the playing time he might have expected but who knows? Will be interesting to see if he transfers closer to home or to a team that really needs backcourt help. Of course, next year that might be SMU!
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:27 pm

Don’t blame him in the current transfer environment. He deserved far more here.
ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:40 pm

ponyboy wrote:Don’t blame him in the current transfer environment. He deserved far more here.

Why do you say that? He might be more talented, but Bandoumel was clearly more effective throughout the season. KD is probably the best player in the conference. He's not good enough to play ahead of Feron Hunt at the 3 or shifting Hunt to the 4 and playing a 3 guard lineup. I think he was treated fairly. It has been a difficult time with last year ending prematurely and this year having so many games cancelled.
mustangxc

Postby JasonB » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:23 am

mustangxc wrote:
ponyboy wrote:Don’t blame him in the current transfer environment. He deserved far more here.

Why do you say that? He might be more talented, but Bandoumel was clearly more effective throughout the season. KD is probably the best player in the conference. He's not good enough to play ahead of Feron Hunt at the 3 or shifting Hunt to the 4 and playing a 3 guard lineup. I think he was treated fairly. It has been a difficult time with last year ending prematurely and this year having so many games cancelled.

Jasey was bad enough to shift Feron to the 4 and play small. We had so many good guards on the roster, we should have gone small more frequently. McNeil struggled to find his role in the offense a little, but I liked his defensive intensity, especially earlier in the season. With KD driving and Jolly's inside game, there should have been a clear role for Smith and McNeil to rotate in as snipers from the perimeter in a three guard system.
JasonB

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:48 pm

JasonB wrote:McNeil struggled to find his role in the offense a little, but I liked his defensive intensity, especially earlier in the season.

I totally agree in general the defense was a lot more active and stifling earlier in the season - especially McNeil, but as the season went on the defense just became a bit lazy and inefficient.

I am sure the diminishing frequency of five-on-five practices as the players and coaches dealt with their health issues had a lot to do with it.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Return to Basketball