PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mass exodus?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Mass exodus?

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat May 15, 2021 12:26 pm

If Clark comes in healthy, he along with Jasey and Agunanne will provide some experienced bigs and the key to replacing Anei might be the development of Jahmar Young. Really would like to have a solid 4 man rotation at the 4/5 to make sure those guys can rebound and clog the lane aggressively so foul trouble doesn't become a big concern. It certainly appears this team will have plenty of scorers but the bigs are going to be the key to having a strong D. Anei was a huge plus as a guy who could alter shots and prevent opponents from getting too many easy buckets in the paint.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyswim » Sat May 15, 2021 12:49 pm

ponyboy wrote:Anei showed flashes last year, but was often lost. I did think he’d take a step or two this year, but while this hurts, it’s not the end of the world. Losing KD would have gutted me.

I agree with this. Yor played in 11 games. He was a significant contributor in some, totally lost in others. He has the talent, the hope - but he may just not want to do the work - physical and mental to get a lot of better. He has transferred once, so he likely will have to sit out a year. The timing is pretty strange - my guess is that he wanted to be sure he passed all his classes, so he would more likely be able to leave. Who knows. Very strange days in college basketball. I am very curious to know if the coaching staff was expecting this.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Sat May 15, 2021 3:28 pm

The timing is extremely confusing. I would have understood wanting to enter the portal upon seeing the mass exodus, but the talent influx has been much better than anyone could have anticipated. I really don't understand what would make him want to leave now. We have a much more attractive team now then we did at the end of the season without even mentioning the gutted roster at the beginning of the exodus.
mustangxc

Postby mavsrage311 » Sat May 15, 2021 4:47 pm

I think he has to sit out a year too, he doesn't get the free transfer unless I'm mistaken. Maybe that's why it took him so long to enter the portal, there must be somewhere he REALLY wants to go.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby ponyswim » Sat May 15, 2021 7:05 pm

Four potential options re: Yor - 1. He wasn't working hard and was encouraged to leave(I have no basis for thinking that is true). 2. He thought Clark was better than him and would not get much time(He would get plenty of time if he works and gets better.) 3. He is testing the options thinking they will take him back. 4. He just does not like it at SMU for whatever reason.
ponyswim
Varsity

Mass exodus?

Postby geezerdonk » Sun May 16, 2021 2:28 pm

5. He wants to play for a team that has a chance to win.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Sun May 16, 2021 7:06 pm

That really doesn't make sense as Jankovich upgraded the roster beyond what anyone could have realistically expected. He was going to be a vital cog to this team as we are in short supply of bigs and defensive stoppers which is exactly what he is.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun May 16, 2021 8:18 pm

geezer is a bitter frog with pony envy. Have to keep things in perspective
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy » Sun May 16, 2021 11:03 pm

Blocked him forever ago. Makes my life much happier.
ponyboy

Previous

Return to Basketball