PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mass exodus?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Mass exodus?

Postby redpony » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:22 pm

Ponyboy- So you think we 'little whiners' want to hide the truth while some point to stats that are not appropriate.

Let's do this:

An open note to all prospective recruits- fair disclosure. If you desire a top notch education then this university is for you. However, if you have dreams of playing for a top level basketball team and winning conference championships or even advancing in March Madness it likely won't happen here. Our coach is mediocre at best and our admin. and financial supporters have little interest in being a top level program. Best of luck on your future decisions

SMU motto- Veritas liberabit vos- The truth will set you free.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:36 pm

mustangxc wrote:Add Hunt to the list of departures albeit not a transfer.
https://twitter.com/feronhunt11/status/ ... 4808985601

Davis may still come back.
https://twitter.com/150__KD/status/1375593778472488961

After both considered leaving last year, I assumed both would be moving on. Would be thrilled to see Davis return for another season. Best of luck to Feron. I'd be pleasantly surprised for him if he actually gets drafted. While I don't expect that, I'd like to think someone will give him a shot in the developmental league.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:44 pm

ponyboy wrote:We’ve got a real nice little negative advertisement program going here for potential transfers. Fire Jank and Mass Exodus. I wish some of you would think of something beyond the confines of your little whiny worlds before posting.

SMU (and I'm sure we are not alone) has dealt with an "entitled" fan base for as long as I have followed the program but ultimately any player considering SMU is going to come here based on his relationship with the coaching staff and future teammates rather than what a bunch of us complain about on Ponyfans. Being in Dallas will appeal to some guys and SMU's facilities are competitive so I am going to remain optimistic that next year's team will be competitive and that the program might actually improve.
Charleston Pony

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:45 am

ponyboy wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:
ponyboy wrote:How cool would it be to get three or four four-star types to come home to play with Kendrick?

Won’t matter as long as the Master Excuse Maker is at the helm. Jank is the basketball coaching equivalent of a blocked punt.

He was 30-5 with top talent.

This is so smarmy and disingenuous. As others pointed out (and you already know), that team was lead by four NBA players who had the good fortune of spending time under LB’s tutelage. As the shine from Larry’s tenure has worn off and the program has been remade in Jank’s image, the results have been noticeable.

ponyboy - How many times over the past, say, three seasons have you thought to yourself, hey, this is a tough, disciplined, well-coached squad we’ve rolled out on the floor tonight?
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby ponyboy » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:23 pm

Zero times.
ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:23 pm

It would be awesome if Jayden Gardner came to SMU from ECU much like Jahmal McMurray came to SMU from USF.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status ... 5587688454
mustangxc

Postby FriscoPMG » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:16 pm

William Douglas is the latest to enter the transfer portal according to Billy's Twitter. And I think Memphis Doug could've gotten playing time on Jank Squad '21-22.
FriscoPMG
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:40 pm

Is that a loss though? He seems capable against the Tim Jankovich non-conference schedule but disappears against AAC level competition. I look forward to using that scholarship more effectively.
mustangxc

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:59 pm

FriscoPMG wrote:William Douglas is the latest to enter the transfer portal according to Billy's Twitter. And I think Memphis Doug could've gotten playing time on Jank Squad '21-22.

He always seemed destined to have a place on the court.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:36 pm

It will be interesting to see where Memphis Doug ends up. I assume he will earn his degree from SMU and I really think he could be a player for a program in a lesser conference. I've always thought he was a pretty bright kid and assume he will look for a place he can pursue graduate studies and get significant playing time.
Charleston Pony

Postby GHammond » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:13 am

I’m not sure Memphis Doug could crack the Phi Delts starting line up.
GHammond
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:32 am

GHammond wrote:I’m not sure Memphis Doug could crack the Phi Delts starting line up.

He looked really good at times against lesser conference teams. I really think he has potential to be a big time scorer for somebody
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:54 am

If he steps down to a low major he can be a solid contributor.
mustangxc

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:21 pm

Chargois in the portal.

Looked awesome as a freshman, unfortunately Jank was unable to develop him at all over the span of four years. Hope he gets a fresh start with a real coach and kills it.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:27 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:Chargois in the portal.

Looked awesome as a freshman, unfortunately Jank was unable to develop him at all over the span of four years. Hope he gets a fresh start with a real coach and kills it.

Could be a valuable guy to give a P5 team a few minutes off the bench or step down a notch and be a stud in a lesser conference. Just a notch up from Memphis Doug. The two of them together would be a real haul for some program struggling to compete in a lower tier mid-major conference. If I was a low mid-major coach, I'd pursue Chaggy and Smith IV
Last edited by Charleston Pony on Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball