PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Rick Hart stimulus package

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The Rick Hart stimulus package

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:55 am

Hey Mustang fans,

Since there is ZERO reason whatsoever to dawn the doors of Moody next season and watch Tim Jokeovich roll out another mediocre squad that has zero discipline, zero toughness and wilts in the face of any adversity, what are YOU going to do with the extra cash you’ll have in your pocket thanks to our spineless administration’s baffling endorsement of this absolute clown?
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: The Rick Hart stimulus package

Postby mustangxc » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:25 am

It's worse than that. I would prefer if SMU announced a multi-year extension as a result of the NIT appearance. They left him in limbo. Now we are getting a lame duck coach for another year. He couldn't get to the NCAA tournament with last year's roster and unless he pulls a couple magic tricks the roster will not be nearly as good so our ceiling is hopefully another NIT appearance.
mustangxc

Postby CA Mustang » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:44 am

mustangxc wrote:It's worse than that. I would prefer if SMU announced a multi-year extension as a result of the NIT appearance. They left him in limbo. Now we are getting a lame duck coach for another year. He couldn't get to the NCAA tournament with last year's roster and unless he pulls a couple magic tricks the roster will not be nearly as good so our ceiling is hopefully another NIT appearance.

If they aren't going to fire him, then not granting an extension is the next best move. Even if he got one, 4 and 5 stars won't be flocking to play for him. Granting an extension would just be wasting more money.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:26 pm

Nobody needs to know the terms of the extension. It could be a 5 year $10 million contract with no buyout. That way it appears he is on solid footing but can be let go with no buyout due at the end of next season.
mustangxc

Postby Bergermeister » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:32 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Hey Mustang fans,

Since there is ZERO reason whatsoever to dawn the doors of Moody next season and watch Tim Jokeovich roll out another mediocre squad that has zero discipline, zero toughness and wilts in the face of any adversity, what are YOU going to do with the extra cash you’ll have in your pocket thanks to our spineless administration’s baffling endorsement of this absolute clown?

This ^^^
Bergermeister

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:27 pm

Really? How could Turner and Hart do this to Smu fans?

More "just wait...it'll get better down the road!"

Hell...I'll be drinking Ensure instead of Makers by the time we ever get there!

C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CA Mustang » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:28 pm

mustangxc wrote:Nobody needs to know the terms of the extension. It could be a 5 year $10 million contract with no buyout. That way it appears he is on solid footing but can be let go with no buyout due at the end of next season.

It's too late for that. Everyone knows he isn't on solid footing, so why try to lie? Either he wins big next year (and earns an extension) or he doesn't and the long-delayed change will finally occur.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:34 pm

CA Mustang wrote:
mustangxc wrote:Nobody needs to know the terms of the extension. It could be a 5 year $10 million contract with no buyout. That way it appears he is on solid footing but can be let go with no buyout due at the end of next season.

It's too late for that. Everyone knows he isn't on solid footing, so why try to lie? Either he wins big next year (and earns an extension) or he doesn't and the long-delayed change will finally occur.

NCAA Tourney or bust with a roster that remains to be settled. Houston and Memphis have invested in their hoops programs and Cincy and Wichita State have stronger track records than SMU so Jank has no easy task ahead of him.
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:07 pm

Do we have any real reason to believe that a tourney-or-bust standard has been set for next season?
ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:21 pm

ponyboy wrote:Do we have any real reason to believe that a tourney-or-bust standard has been set for next season?

I have no reason to believe that is not the mandate. However, it was already the standard the last couple seasons and it was never enforced so it is not really a standard but a recommendation lol.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:09 pm

I believe that "expectation" was stated in an interview Hart did during one of our televised games the final year of probation and I'm assuming Jank got a 2 year break because of how crazy Covid made these past 2 seasons. When Duke and Kentucky don't make the field of 68...
Charleston Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:09 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I believe that "expectation" was stated in an interview Hart did during one of our televised games the final year of probation and I'm assuming Jank got a 2 year break because of how crazy Covid made these past 2 seasons. When Duke and Kentucky don't make the field of 68...

That's a good point it was a mixed bag of our peer basketball schools Duke and Villanova making the tournament this season.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:08 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:I believe that "expectation" was stated in an interview Hart did during one of our televised games the final year of probation and I'm assuming Jank got a 2 year break because of how crazy Covid made these past 2 seasons. When Duke and Kentucky don't make the field of 68...

That's a good point it was a mixed bag of our peer basketball schools Duke and Villanova making the tournament this season.

SMU...the "Duke of Dallas" as Doh said to the dismay of his Tarheel Nation
Charleston Pony

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:59 pm

UH have had Samson since 2014. Patience is what wins.

We hired LB but didn’t have the balls to hold the ship together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:15 pm

Houston has an amazing president and a solid athletic director, something I wish SMU had.
mustangxc

Next

Return to Basketball