PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Moody Renovations?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Cheesesteak » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:13 pm

Posted by Dooby:

Cheesesteak, this is way besides the point, but I want to point out that since I started attending SMU I have personally attended the following at Moody: speakers, concerts, basketball, professional tennis and church services. Sorry, no rodeos.

Dooby, you are correct (I have attended a some of the same Moody events) but as each and every year passes Moody's basic architectural design becomes more of an obstacle to attracting a variety of revenue producing events.

People attending contemporary events frequently expect more than an upgraded soon-to-be 60 year old basketball arena...performers certainly do.

If SMU is only/mostly going to use Moody for varsity sports and commencement in the future then a remodeling/adding practice courts is sufficient.

If SMU wants to host a variety of high-profile 6-8,000 person events on the Hilltop, earning revenue and attracting first-time visitors then a new facility should be considered.

Moody's footprint near SMU Boulevard (Central Expressway) combined with existing parking garages and the new 600 car parking garage to be built on the current Letterman Hall site is a convenient location for campus visitors.

Does anyone know if the university (not just the athletic department) has seriously evaluated replacing Moody with a modern and versatile but traditional looking facility?
Last edited by Cheesesteak on Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby FloridaMustang » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:15 pm

A $40 million renovation I would assume would include an exterior faceleft in addition to new seating, probably club seating, new scoreboard, floor, in addition to expansion of the locker rooms and widening of the hallways... and of course, a practice facility. I assume this will happen in the off season and you'll see Moody practically gutted if this is the case.

I'd be interested to see how they plan on implementing the renovation plans... it might be feasable to connect Moody with the new Dedman Center and practice facilty, creating a multipurpose center of sorts.. but I suppose that's a bit too late since the Dedman plans have already been impelemented, correct?
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Dooby » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:27 pm

If you look at the map of the SMU "Master Plan", there is a big ol' addition to the front of Moody. What that does to the square footage, seats, offices, facilities, etc., I have no idea. There is also clearly space available for a practice facility behind new Dedman.

Anything we are talking about now is pure speculation (unless someone wants to come forward with real info :D). But I doubt a new facility is in the cards. A renovation is much more likely and cost efficient, unless someone wants to "pony up" the big bucks for a new facility.

I don't think a new facility would really increase opportunities to host other events. There are too many similarly sized (and larger and smaller) venues as it is. I like thinking big, but I am personally OK with a renovated Moody.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Cheesesteak » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:37 pm

The SMU Master Plan Map for anyone who hasn't seen it...

http://www.smu.edu/campus_planning/Master_Plan2001.asp
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby Dooby » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:46 pm

Also of note:

SMU Master Plan: Projects in Planning

http://www.smu.edu/campus_planning/Projects_Planned.asp
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby FloridaMustang » Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:19 am

SMU's Facilities page is always something I've kept up with... I wish they'd post those feasibility studies already.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Basketball