PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Season Preview

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Season Preview

Postby JasonB » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:48 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:K.D. at # 25 on this list of Top 100 college hoopsters. AAC well represented on this list, including 4 Memphis Tigers. Think there are might be some high expectations in Memphis?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... 22-season/

There were high hopes last year as well. And the year before.

They have a ton of talent. If they can put it together on the court, they are a top 5 team. But just like people might say Jank needs to prove himself in the tourney, Hardaway is in the exact same boat and has had a lot more talent to work with.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:00 pm

JasonB wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:K.D. at # 25 on this list of Top 100 college hoopsters. AAC well represented on this list, including 4 Memphis Tigers. Think there are might be some high expectations in Memphis?

They have a ton of talent. If they can put it together on the court, they are a top 5 team. But just like people might say Jank needs to prove himself in the tourney, Hardaway is in the exact same boat and has had a lot more talent to work with.

Prediction: Having Larry Brown on your staff is a difference maker
Charleston Pony

Postby Arkpony » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:20 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
JasonB wrote:

Prediction: Having Larry Brown on your staff is a difference maker

Tremendous blunder by Hart in letting Brown get away.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby redpony » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:34 am

summary from SI

It’s a put-up-or-shut-up year for Tim Jankovich and the Mustangs, who’ve underachieved relative to their talent level in consecutive years. but blown leads have been a consistent issue of late under Jankovich. In the last two seasons, the Mustangs have lost six games where they’ve had a greater than 92% win probability at some point, per KenPom. That accounts for more than a third of SMU's losses in that stretch. With star senior PG Davis running the show and a talented stable of transfers around him, Jankovich has no excuses not to win.

Time to make big moves in the ncaa tourney or step up and get a new coach. NO more excuses.
redpony

Postby Doesntmatter » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:05 pm

If he puts up, will you shut up?
Doesntmatter
Scout Team

Postby redpony » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:25 pm

Doesntmatter wrote:If he puts up, will you shut up?

sorry that you embrace proven losers. No I will shut up when this charlatan is gone and replaced with a real coach. You obviously need some reading comprehension. That article says it all, under-performing with outstanding talent.
redpony

Postby ponyboy » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:33 pm

You didn’t answer the question. I’ll do it for you. No, redpony will not stop whining no matter what the leadership does. If Jank wins a NC, he’ll still whine. Just how some people are built.
ponyboy

Postby redpony » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:16 pm

ha, first ponyboy (or what ever your gender is) STFU. I will not only shut up I will buy you season tickets if trashovich wins the NC next year or even the year after if he is still here.
Not a whiner just tired of crappy coaches ruining what was previously (before them) a winning program. LB brought us up and since then we have tanked.

That article pretty well stated the situation and it was IMO very objective.
redpony

Postby panhandle_pony » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:49 pm

PB is pretty accurate. Doesn’t matter subject matter, when I see RP on a post, I skip on by because of the incessant vitriol . Heck, I bet RP would [deleted] and whine if he were hung with a brand new rope!
panhandle_pony
All-American

Postby redpony » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:55 pm

ha, amazing the people here that accept losing as a fact.
First, I think PB does an amazing job on analyzing the fball games etc. I appreciate his insights.

Now, the truth. I only posted the article because it was interesting and very truthful. If you think our current coach has done better (after losing LB recruits)after taking over then you must be part of his family. Not whining just fact. If he does not make it well into the tourney (ncaa) then he needs to go. That is not whining it is the truth if you want a winning program.
I am just a person who does not accept losing. very simple. win or get out!
Most of my comments are very truthful and objective. Don't like them? then prove they are not true.
P.s. have a great week.
redpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:46 pm

Article is spot on and actually a year late. I remember one of the ESPN commentators who had talked to Hart saying the expectation last year was NCAA Tourney or bust, suggesting Jank would be let go if last year's team failed to make the NCAA. It was all about having a full roster again and no more "we can't practice 5 on 5" excuse. I assume Jank got a pass because of the Covid interruptions so I have to believe he's in a "produce this year or it's time to move on" situation. On paper, he has the roster to produce this year and I'm pleased with how he back-filled behind Chaggy, Feron, Anei & Jolly but it's easy to see that next year will be a huge challenge given the seniors we will be losing.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:24 pm

CBS writer Matt Norlander predicts 5 NCAA Tourney bids from the State of Texas and has SMU as his 5th best team in Texas:

Texas
Houston
Baylor
Texas Tech
SMU
Texas A&M
TCU
North Texas
UTEP
Texas State
Rice
Sam Houston State
Texas Southern
Stephen F Austin
Abilene Christian
UTSA
Tarleton State
UT Arlington
Incarnate Word
Prairie View A&M
Texas A&M Corpus Christi
UTRGV
Lamar
Houston Baptist

State of the state: A state long known for its deep reservoirs of football talent is also no slouch on the hardwood. Chris Beard's Longhorns narrowly win out here over a Houston program that's coming off its first Final Four appearance in almost 40 years. Texas is the trendy top-five team heading into next week, but look around the Lone Star State and the pride of the region is down in Waco, where Baylor is the reigning national champion and should again have a very good team. Given how much BU lost, though, it's practical to slot loaded Texas and veteran-laden Houston just narrowly ahead of a Bears team with some fun new pieces. There are 24 schools in this state, and it's a safe projection that at least five will be dancing in March.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... to-bottom/
Charleston Pony

Postby Doesntmatter » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:47 pm

redpony wrote:ha, amazing the people here that accept losing as a fact.
First, I think PB does an amazing job on analyzing the fball games etc. I appreciate his insights.

Now, the truth. I only posted the article because it was interesting and very truthful. If you think our current coach has done better (after losing LB recruits)after taking over then you must be part of his family. Not whining just fact. If he does not make it well into the tourney (ncaa) then he needs to go. That is not whining it is the truth if you want a winning program.
I am just a person who does not accept losing. very simple. win or get out!
Most of my comments are very truthful and objective. Don't like them? then prove they are not true.
P.s. have a great week.

If he puts up, will you shut up? Yes or no?
Doesntmatter
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:12 am

red is always going to hate on Jank so I would not expect him to change even if SMU was to make the Tourney and win a game or two. I'd like to see that happen in which case I'm sure Jank will be given another year but he & his staff will again be challenged to backfill a roster with 7 seniors, all of which are probably going to be significant contributors
Charleston Pony

Postby redpony » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:12 am

Charleston Pony wrote:red is always going to hate on Jank so I would not expect him to change even if SMU was to make the Tourney and win a game or two.

CP- first, I don't hate jank. As a person I think he is probably very likable however as a coach at SMU he has proven he is not able to take us to the highest level. I also rarely ever use the word hate as I think it is too strong a word for most things disliked.

You are correct one win in the tourney is not sufficient. I suspect a Rick Pitino with this talent would get to at least the sweet 16.
Guess we will see at the end of bball season.
redpony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball