PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Season Preview

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Season Preview

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:31 am

redpony wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:red is always going to hate on Jank so I would not expect him to change even if SMU was to make the Tourney and win a game or two.

CP- first, I don't hate jank. As a person I think he is probably very likable however as a coach at SMU he has proven he is not able to take us to the highest level. I also rarely ever use the word hate as I think it is too strong a word for most things disliked.

You are correct one win in the tourney is not sufficient. I suspect a Rick Pitino with this talent would get to at least the sweet 16.
Guess we will see at the end of bball season.

We can agree on Pitino as I would have loved to have made a run at hiring him but I will agree this administration is overly concerned and has overreacted to the death penalty and the LB probation vs being committed to building CONSISTENTLY Top 25 programs in both football and men's bball. Pitino saw when he was at Louisville what Moody and SMU bball could become so I'd like to think he would have been very interested in the job here.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:43 am

More season predictions coming out. Can you believe we are less than a week away from tip off?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ted-teams/
Charleston Pony

Postby Doesntmatter » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:17 am

redpony wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:red is always going to hate on Jank so I would not expect him to change even if SMU was to make the Tourney and win a game or two.

CP- first, I don't hate jank. As a person I think he is probably very likable however as a coach at SMU he has proven he is not able to take us to the highest level. I also rarely ever use the word hate as I think it is too strong a word for most things disliked.

You are correct one win in the tourney is not sufficient. I suspect a Rick Pitino with this talent would get to at least the sweet 16.
Guess we will see at the end of bball season.

When you say things like this about people, “our mental hernia of an AD will extend trash-o-vichs,” you hate and lose all credibility. It gets tiring seeing these personal attacks over and over again. Coaches and administrators don’t deserve this regardless of the performance of their teams. So, once again, if he puts up, will you shut up? Yes or no.
Doesntmatter
Scout Team

Postby Water Pony » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:09 am

Sports Illustrated has SMU # 60 and 4th in the American. Plus, Kendric Davis is Player of the Year in the conference.

"It’s a put-up-or-shut-up year for Tim Jankovich and the Mustangs, who’ve underachieved relative to their talent level in consecutive years. Last year’s results are a bit harder to read into after the team was rocked with COVID-19 cases in February, but blown leads have been a consistent issue of late under Jankovich. In the last two seasons, the Mustangs have lost six games where they’ve had a greater than 92% win probability at some point, per KenPom. That accounts for more than a third of SMU's losses in that stretch. With star senior PG Davis running the show and a talented stable of transfers around him, Jankovich has no excuses not to win"

https://www.si.com/college/2021/10/19/a ... is-houston
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby redpony » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:52 am

Doesntmatter wrote:
When you say things like this about people, “our mental hernia of an AD will extend trash-o-vichs,” you hate and lose all credibility. It gets tiring seeing these personal attacks over and over again. Coaches and administrators don’t deserve this regardless of the performance of their teams. So, once again, if he puts up, will you shut up? Yes or no.

Easy solution- just put me on ignore and you won't see my posts.
I am sure both of those individuals have had worse things said about them.
Again, I have not used the word hate. I do have a great dislike for our a.d. as I think he has done a very poor job. Again, just my opinion and I suspect there are a few others on pf that share that opinion.
redpony

Postby Doesntmatter » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:58 pm

redpony wrote:
Doesntmatter wrote:

Easy solution- just put me on ignore and you won't see my posts.
I am sure both of those individuals have had worse things said about them.
Again, I have not used the word hate. I do have a great dislike for our a.d. as I think he has done a very poor job. Again, just my opinion and I suspect there are a few others on pf that share that opinion.

Easy solution for you but I chose to focus on your degrading and malicious posts toward coaches, administrators, teams and other posters. Making you feel uncomfortable enough to ask me to ignore you is an accomplishment. Others, rightfully so, have chosen to ignore you but I’m not giving you free rein to personally insult and degrade anymore. So rather than ignore, I’ll focus. Put your opinions on the site without your personal, belittling attacks and then you’re a typical message board poster and somewhat tolerable like everyone else here. Do that and I’ll happily shut up.

Now you can ignore me but know, for every personal attack you make on someone, there will be a post calling you out for your horrible treatment of others you do not know.
Doesntmatter
Scout Team

Postby used to be 2 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:33 pm

"Come on guys" We do not need to read about a [deleted] fight on this thread.
used to be 2
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:12 pm

Jank on the "hot seat list"

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... their-job/

Tim Jankovich, SMU
Seasons at school: Entering seventh season | Record at school: 101-55 | NCAA Tournament appearances at school: 1

When Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown abruptly resigned in July 2016, it made sense to promote Jankovich -- and things got off to a wonderful start. The Mustangs went 30-5 in his first season and won the AAC. But Jankovich is just 28-37 in AAC games over the past four seasons with two ninth-place finishes in the league. That's not good enough. The truth is that Jankovich now needs a strong season to ensure he gets a sixth year at SMU. But the good news is that he has a team capable of competing for a trip to the NCAA Tournament even if Houston and Memphis are expected to be a level above the Mustangs.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:29 am

O.K. the season is upon us. This year's team has an opportunity to creat some excitement early. How about a blowout win tomorrow vs McNeese watching Jank empty the entire bench so we get to see the newcomers debut at home...followed by an upset in Oregon to get people's attention? Then a couple of tune up games next week before jetting off to FL and hopefully beat a couple of "big boys" from the SEC and ACC and cause people to ask "who are these guys?". I have a dream. Hope that bubble isn't burst early!
Charleston Pony

Postby shadowman » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:57 am

Charleston Pony wrote:O.K. the season is upon us. This year's team has an opportunity to creat some excitement early. How about a blowout win tomorrow vs McNeese watching Jank empty the entire bench so we get to see the newcomers debut at home...followed by an upset in Oregon to get people's attention? Then a couple of tune up games next week before jetting off to FL and hopefully beat a couple of "big boys" from the SEC and ACC and cause people to ask "who are these guys?". I have a dream. Hope that bubble isn't burst early!

This sounds like a good plan. Hopefully, we can execute it.

Go Ponies! Ready for basketball season.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:45 pm

Very good plan indeed.
ponyboy

Previous

Return to Basketball