PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bigger Violations At Baylor

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bigger Violations At Baylor

Postby 50's PONY » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:50 pm

News

Baylor: 'Additional serious or major infractions'
From staff reports
Baylor University's basketball program under former head coach Dave Bliss committed "additional serious or major infractions," President Robert Sloan said in a news conference this morning.

And for the first time, two members of the Baylor Board of Regents -- Jim Turner of Dallas and Wes Bailey of Waco --were implicated in some of the violations, Sloan said, although the regents did not realize that contributions they had made to the basketball program were being used for activities that violated NCAA rules.

Sloan imposed several additional self-imposed sanctions against Baylor's basketball program, including extending its probation by one year to 2008, and reducing the number of athletic scholarships and paid recruitment visits that it will provide between 2004 and 2006.

"It is my belief that we have achieved success in the investigation of wrongdoing," Sloan said.

The infractions included improper payments to two athletes; attempts at concealing NCAA violations; improper payment of meals, transportation and clothing to athletes or recruits; and improperly paying for lodging for athletes and recruits. Sloan also said improper payments were made to other schools on behalf of recruits and leaders of the basketball program failed to report positive readings on routine drug tests.

Sloan did not immediately detail the individual infractions, only classifying them as major and serious under NCAA rules.

"Baylor University is embarrassed," Sloan said of the discovery of additional infractions, particularly since "there were several red flags raised that should have been noticed."

The final results of the investigation are scheduled to be turned over to the NCAA governing body, which has the option of endorsing or changing the recommended sanctions.
Email this page to a friend
50's PONY
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:58 pm

wow. Other than the enviroment today being much different than the wild 80's, that circumstance seems very Death Penalty worthy really. Baylor may not be as cavalier about their knowlege of cheating at the Trustee level, but this might just be the modern version of our troubles. Whats really sad is this is going on everywhere at greater levels, all it takes is a freak occurence like Denehey's case to bring things to light. The NCAA is a joke.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:27 pm

All that aside, Drew has done one helluva job at Baylor. They have 3 wins in conference play and have been very competitive in a few others....all of this with 5 or 6 scholarship players.

That JC kid, Thomas (??), is a damn good player. Drew has already signed two very solid HS recruits and he will bring another big-time JC player or two in next year. They could actaully make some noise int eh Big XII next season.

Considering the limitations, Drew has done a remarkable job in his first year as a HC. Baylor found themselves a winner.
LA_Mustang

Baylor JC admissions policy to change

Postby Sam I Am » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:48 am

After the Baylor school president said that loose JC admissions were the source of their two scandals, look for SMU to continue being cautious about the viabiliy of the transfers they accept. Baylor could easily become a mid-major competitor like the other former SWC private schools who could not keep up with the BIG state school athletic budgets. Dare I say that Texas Tick has also fallen victim to the Big 12 arms race. I shudder to think that SMU might have resorted to hiring Bobby Knight because we are so tired of losing. Folks, I am a die hard San Antonio Spurs fans because even at their professional level, they have been careful about retaining players and coaches of good character. Whatever we do at SMU, let's keep off the police blotters. That kind of scandal would justify closing down the program for good. :roll:
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:34 pm

Does anyone else find it hard to believe that Bliss paid tuition out of his own pocket - that just does not seem feesible - not that he was not well paid, but he had an organized inner circle group (sound familiar) - there is just no way he writes that check on his own.
gostangs

Return to Basketball