PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Wow! I thought we had reached the bottom!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Wow! I thought we had reached the bottom!

Postby Original Frank » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:01 pm

All I can say is WOW! I never thought I would see SMU down by 31 in the first half AGAINST BOISE STATE AT HOME! Even though I recognize Dement's shortcomings, I never saw this coming. I don't see how they can keep him around for another year. Tonight was the most pathetic performance I have seen from a SMU bball team in 40 years of watching. I left with SMU down by 38 early in the second half. If it held, it was the worst SMU home loss in the 60 years of Moody Colliseum.

I wonder who will jump on here and tell me that its not Dements's fault because he was beaten by JUCOs and/or academic risks. Truth is, SMU had better athletes on the floor but Boice was so much better organized. Dement was again thoroughly and outrageously outcoached. The guys simply had no clue as to how to attack Boise. Timeouts didn't help because Dement had no clue either. SMU had 17 points at the half and was down 17-48. AT HOME! I'm still shocked at how far this team has fallen in only two months!

Coaching matters! Don't look for me on Saturday!
Original Frank
Junior Varsity

Postby PG » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:46 pm

This one goes on the players. They simply don't care anymore. You can't coach guys who don't want to be coached, much less be out there. I agree it's time for Dement to go but he wasn't outcoached. Boise didn't do anything to confuse us. They hit the shots they missed when we were up there. Goerge Karl's kid and the other guards didn't miss. Don't blame the coach. Blame EVERY SINGLE PLAYER (with the possible exception of Chris Reay). I actually liked seeing him out there instead of the pu$$y duo of Castro and Simpson. I'd consider sitting them the entire game on Sat. They don't deserve to play when they just stand and watch every rebound get past them. No one else was any better but those two seemed especially disinterested tonight.
PG
Junior Varsity

Postby PlanoStang » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:54 pm

Second worst defeat in Moody according to the guys on the radio when I was driving back from it. Worst was against Texas in 95. Boise St. set the Moody record of 15 3 point shots. I think it was 15 of 24 tries. One of the radio guys said 12 of the 15 were wide open shots, and thats what it looked like to me.

The promotion tonight was "Moody Madness". Wear something crazy, and get in free. They should've been paying people to watch. It was Moody Madness allright. Lots of people were mad.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

End it already.

Postby BigEasyPony » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:01 am

Dement has lost this team. The team doesn't care anymore and its evident in their lack of hustle. You can't get rid of all the players so Dement has to be a man and resign. I mean this is pathetic. I don' t care what anyone says SMU has a lot more talent than what is on display. Let's forget about potential replacements and just focus on making a change. I hope part of the rationale in eliminating the track program is knowing that you need to pay Dement another year after you relieve him of his coaching duties. This season can't end fast enough.
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUguy » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:46 am

To be fair to Boise, 15-of-24 from 3-point range is ridiculous. That's absolutely sizzling. If they could shoot like that every night, they'd make the Final Four. But with that said, we did a hell of a lot of standing around on defense. It's not like no team has faced SMU and launched a bunch of 3s -- EVERY team does that. But Boise always shoots a lot of 3s, and they do it really well. Tonight was off the charts for their shooters. But UTEP's going to look like an NBA team next to Boise. We'd better have a serious gut-check between now and then to avoid a repeat of tonight.
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:22 am

All I have to say is something better change! and fast! :evil:
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Score 89-50, ugh!

Postby Sam I Am » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:13 am

First the blowout by Rice and now Boise State gets us. I dread the UTEP slaughter to come. It's not just that we are having a losing season, but the pattern of play has been the most erractic in school BB history. If we had been consistently bad, that would mean something different than the way this team has yo-yo-ed up and down. I want off the rollercoaster. I can hardly wait for track season. Oh, I forget - another disaster there too. This has been a terrible year for SMU sports. I don't know if I can hold on long enough to ever enjoy the coming C-USA which will be good for us. Tell me this hangover headache of life long loving SMU will someday pass.
:cry:
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby Original Frank » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:16 am

I just do not agree with much of what is stated above. SMU had 17 points at the half. 17! SMU had no notion of what to do offensively. Let's not get sidetracked by Boise's 3-pt shooting or SMU's continued lack of ability to stop the other team from shooting threes. It was SMU's complete lack of any ability to score that allowed that game to get away. Boise scored at will with an organized, well-intended offensive flow. 22 assists was the result. SMU had no clue as it was a typical throw-the-ball-around-a-while-and-then-launch-a-three-by-one-of-our-20%-3-pt shooters. Brilliant offensive scheme. No screens, no cuts, no give-and-go, no organization, and no point of attack. The result, 9 assists. Again, what is it this tem does well? Actually, the 22-9 assist ratio in favor of Boise was fairly representative of what went on in the game.

Sometines lack of defense is due to frustrations from lack of offense. It's hard to play great D when you are down by 20 midway through the first half because you can only muster 6 points.

And, as to it being the players fault becasue they are somehow disinterested, I guess I am struggling with how this does not relate to poor coaching as well. There are over 140 teams in Div I bball. Why is SMU the one whose team has totally quit? I might become disinterested too if I had to play on a team that goes into each game with a decided strategic disadvantage and looks like it is coached by the intramural staff.

The whole scene is embarrassing. We must change something. Even if we are wrong, what is the worst thing that could happen, lose at home to Boise by 40?!
Original Frank
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:50 am

First half, Boise was playing man defense and we had no apparent answer for it. We played zone and constantly over shifted leaving one Boise player open in the corner for the three which I think they could have hit blindfolded the way they were shooting. Those are both, I'm sorry to say, coaching errors.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Basketball