PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ESPN American Preview 2021-22

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

ESPN American Preview 2021-22

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:10 am

Myron Medcalf, Jeff Borzello, John Gasaway and Joe Lunardi roundtable.

Consensus third (tied with Central Florida) behind Houston and Memphis.

Kendric Davis splits player of the year selections with Marcus Sasser.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32395144/the-american-2021-22-predictions-projecting-memphis-ceiling-houston-final-four-encore

Who's the team in this league not nearly enough people are talking about heading into 2021-22?

Borzello: When I asked AAC coaches this question last month, UCF got the wide majority of the votes. But now that I see the Knights are picked third by multiple people sitting at this roundtable, I'm going with my predicted third-place team, SMU. I think the Mustangs are absolutely loaded, especially on the offensive end of the floor, and should get back to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2017.

Kendric Davis is a Player of the Year contender after averaging 19.0 points and 7.6 assists last season, and Tim Jankovich brings in four impact transfers -- highlighted by Southland Player of the Year Zach Nutall and Michael and Marcus Weathers. The key could be Baylor transfer Tristan Clark, who will be one of the best bigs in the league if healthy. SMU was hit hard by COVID-19 issues last season, playing its final regular season game on Feb. 8; a smoother campaign should result in the Mustangs hearing their name on Selection Sunday.

Lunardi: I'm with Jeff on this. SMU's roster is deep and intriguing, and Davis might very well be the best player in the country outside the Power 5/Big East/Gonzaga conglomerate. Not only could the Mustangs surprise -- they are good enough to win in the Big Dance if they make it that far.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: ESPN American Preview 2021-22

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:37 am

Let's hope so
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Basketball