PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Here's a name...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Here's a name...

Postby Sic_em » Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:27 am

I don't read this board closely, so his name may have already been mentioned, but there is an intriguing name who would be an interesting hire. Word is that Ro Blackman is interested. K-State legend, Mavs great, NBA assistant. Great guy, has roots here (wouldn't be looking to stepping-stone anywhere else). Lack of HC experience is the only question mark. Is he worth the gamble? I think he would.
Sic_em
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:34 am

I wonder if he can relate to kids, can he actually coach and recruit. I think that would be a big gamble. I don't know him personally but he certainly doesn't fire me up when he talks. Great player though.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:30 am

Give me a break.
Bergermeister

Postby Higher Authority » Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:23 pm

Very good guy, and obviously a great player way back when. Does the allure of being a head coach sway outweigh the safety of depositing a check from Mark Cuban for a relatively anonymous role as an NBA assistant?
Like Bergermeister, I'd call him an extreme longshot.
Higher Authority
All-American

Postby couch 'em » Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:56 pm

It is silly to speculate on possible replacements for Dement. Much like the hiring of Bennett, Copeland will find someone we've never thought about.
couch 'em

Rolando Blackman Great choice!

Postby moodymadness » Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:18 pm

I signed up today just to voice my opinion that Rolando Blackman would be the perfect choice for head coach. He has numerous years of NBA coaching experience and experience coaching internationally for the German national team (at the request of Dirk Nowitzki). Not to mention he is an NBA All-Star and his #22 has been retired by the Mavericks. Don't you think a kid would be fired up to play for a coach that was among the best in the NBA and has learned the game from legend NBA coaches such as Pat Riley and Don Nelson? It would certainly be more interesting than playing for some no-name assistant or some random small college head coach. Additionally, as mentioned before, Blackman is a quality person that has been establishing roots in Dallas for the past two decades. SMU would be wise and lucky to name Blackman head coach before another college program or NBA team does.
moodymadness
Recruit

Re: Rolando Blackman Great choice!

Postby CoxSMU » Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:56 pm

moodymadness wrote:I signed up today just to voice my opinion that Rolando Blackman would be the perfect choice for head coach. He has numerous years of NBA coaching experience and experience coaching internationally for the German national team (at the request of Dirk Nowitzki). Not to mention he is an NBA All-Star and his #22 has been retired by the Mavericks. Don't you think a kid would be fired up to play for a coach that was among the best in the NBA and has learned the game from legend NBA coaches such as Pat Riley and Don Nelson? It would certainly be more interesting than playing for some no-name assistant or some random small college head coach. Additionally, as mentioned before, Blackman is a quality person that has been establishing roots in Dallas for the past two decades. SMU would be wise and lucky to name Blackman head coach before another college program or NBA team does.

This reminds me of the "Charlie Waters for Head Coach" argument that was thrown around...Unfortunately, I don't think this guy would be right for the job. There is no doubt that he would be a gamble and a gamble is the last thing we need...
Geaux Ponies and Geaux LSU!
CoxSMU
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:39 pm

you don't like gambles?-what the hell do you think John Shumate, Tom Rossley, Mike Cavan, Phil Bennett and Mike Dement were as will be Victim No. 6. Jimmy Tubbs would be the choice that would concern the other schools that recruit DFW but he'd be a HELL of a gamble. SMU would be damn lucky if a guy like Blackmon would even stoop to level of considering this coaching graveyard. Pleeeze Rolando Blackmon is no bigger gamble than Tubbs and the other collection of nobodies I've heard we should be considering by the people in the press. As for Charlie Waters being a poor choice all I got to say is ZERO and TWELVE. Even to this day Charlie Waters is a higher profile in the media than Little Phil Bennett. But don't worry Copeland's making the decision so I'm sure he's not intelligent enough to consider Rolando Blackmon a viable candidate.
Stallion

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:24 pm

Stallion you are a genius, you know everything.
Pony_Fan

Postby Dooby » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:14 am

Before this Ro Blackman thing gets out of hand, let me tell you guys something. I am a diehard Mavs fan and follow the team very closely, I read and post here at about the same level as I do the Mavs boards. Feel free to go to Dallas-mavs.com to peruse my fine work.

The reason I bring this up, is that “technically” Rolando Blackman is not an assistant coach with the Dallas Mavericks. While the joke around the league and around town is that the Mavs have a hundred coaches, from a league standpoint, they have three. The NBA only allows teams to have three assistants. Everybody else has titles such as “Player Development” and “Greeter”. The extent of Blackman’s work for the Mavs is to attend practice and work with Jon Stefansson and Marquis Daniels in their development. He is also working with Josh Howard on his shot. He might also do scouting work from time to time.

What this means is that Blackman doesn’t sit on the bench at Mavs’ games. Blackman doesn’t work on plays. Blackman isn’t in the huddle. He can’t talk to players during games. Blackman is allowed to sit in the stands a row or two back and cheer. Watch the games if you don’t believe me or check out dallasmavericks.com.

Now, I don’t think Blackman woul be a disaster of Clyde Drexler proportions. Blackman has some international coaching experience (but not head coaching experience). He at least knows you have to show up to practice. But he has zero experience with recruiting. Most kids he’d be recruiting were 7 when he retired. And he wasn’t “Charlie Waters” great, either, where his reputation will precede him everywhere he goes and leaving HS coaches in awe.

If you want a former Mavs player, go get Mark Aguirre. He is an assistant coach with the Kincks, formerly with the Pacers and is credited with Jermaine O’Neal’s development as an all-star and one of the best players in the league. He still lives in Dallas during the offseason.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby moodymadness » Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:23 pm

Blackman is the Director of Player Development/Assistant Coach for the Mavericks. And it surprises me how much some diehard fans can be misinformed. Since Blackman has joined the Mavs in a player development/coaching capacity, Nowitzki and Nash have gone from unknowns to All-Stars and the team has gone from League laughingstock to a championship contender. While many factors have gone into the Mavericks success, it is safe to say Blackman has been a key factor. And just watch the next game... Blackmand DOES sit on the bench during games, takes notes and charts plays, communicates with players and Nellie... to imply otherwise is laughable. Do you think Nowitzki would ask Blackman to coach on Germany's national team if Blackman had not earned his respect and admiration??? If Blackman can impress an NBA All-Star with his player development and coaching abilities, it is safe to say that he can impress college kids and have a great impact upon SMU. And to those that imply that hiring Blackman would be a gamble...hiring anyone not named Pitino, Coach K, Williams, Izzo, or Wooden would be a gamble. But Blackman has a proven track record as an elite NBA player which would gain him immediate respect from a college kid, has a prove track record in developing talent (Nash, Nowitzki, Najera, J. Howard), and has been grooming for a head coaching position while learning from Hall of Fame coaches Pat Riley and Don Nelson. That is a damn impressive resume in my book.
moodymadness
Recruit

Re: Here's a name...

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:09 pm

Sic_em wrote:I don't read this board closely, so his name may have already been mentioned, but there is an intriguing name who would be an interesting hire. Word is that Ro Blackman is interested. K-State legend, Mavs great, NBA assistant. Great guy, has roots here (wouldn't be looking to stepping-stone anywhere else). Lack of HC experience is the only question mark. Is he worth the gamble? I think he would.

Let's get charlie waters back here to HC fb, yeah.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby Sic_em » Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:34 pm

You could do a lot worse and have.
Sic_em
Junior Varsity

Re:

Postby Hoss » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:45 am

Stallion wrote:.... As for Charlie Waters being a poor choice ....

Someone kill me, please.
Look, Waters is your hero, we all understand that. But he didn't get hired two years ago, and he's not going to get hired now, and more than likely, he won't get hired in the future. Let it go.
Hoss
All-American

Re:

Postby CoxSMU » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:26 am

Stallion wrote:you don't like gambles?-what the hell do you think John Shumate, Tom Rossley, Mike Cavan, Phil Bennett and Mike Dement were as will be Victim No. 6. Jimmy Tubbs would be the choice that would concern the other schools that recruit DFW but he'd be a HELL of a gamble. SMU would be damn lucky if a guy like Blackmon would even stoop to level of considering this coaching graveyard. Pleeeze Rolando Blackmon is no bigger gamble than Tubbs and the other collection of nobodies I've heard we should be considering by the people in the press. As for Charlie Waters being a poor choice all I got to say is ZERO and TWELVE. Even to this day Charlie Waters is a higher profile in the media than Little Phil Bennett. But don't worry Copeland's making the decision so I'm sure he's not intelligent enough to consider Rolando Blackmon a viable candidate.

You read something and then go to town on what you think it is that I wrote. What I meant, oh smart one, is that everyone was saying that "we could sign all these great guys with Charlie Waters." People also said, "How many young guys would come to SMU if Charlie Waters showed up to recruit them?" The anwer is no more than Phil Bennett. The average high school footabll player has no f$cking idea who Charlie Waters is and if they do know who is his, they are no more star struck by him than Bob Stoops. The same goes for Blackman. I am not from Dallas and I have no idea who Blackman is. No out of Dallas player would no who that was. As far as developing talent, maybe he did do a great job. But I would rather take a Sean Sutton...Someone who is actually an assistant and someone who actually has more of a hand in coaching in his team(Oklahoma St.) Ro Blackman IS A GAMBLE because of the Clyde Drexler situations and the fact that he has never been a head coach or a major assistant....Also when the hell did I bring up Tubbs? Oh thats right I didn't....
Geaux Ponies and Geaux LSU!
CoxSMU
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Basketball