PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

MBB game thread vs. McNeese

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: MBB game thread vs. McNeese

Postby shadowman » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:28 pm

My Thoughts from Last Night:

First of all, McNeese was not a "typical" first game cupcake opponent, although I expected them to be. The players they used were much taller, much longer, and more athletic than what we are used to seeing in games like this. They played an unorthodox type of defense that gave SMU problems trouble at the beginning. The game would have been closer if they would have shot better, especially at the free throw line and 3 point line, where they were horrendous.

Having said that, I thought SMU did a great job in adjusting to their style and it was nice to get into the 80s from a scoring perspective.

Clark did not run the floor well, but that is expected, he was late back down a few times, but that is something we can live with, do not want him pushing it, especially early. When he was in position, he played good defense and altered shots and his offensive moves were really good, something we have not seen in a while. Jasey's hustle and defense was outstanding. Unfortunately, he still cannot get the ball to go into the basket, even though he makes decent moves down low, just cannot finish. Hopefully, that will improve, because he will still need to play at least half the minutes at the post while Clark rests.

The Weathers combo will be a nice addition, they were so athletic and quick. No worry about KD's slow start, we all know what he is going to do and he looked like his old self for most of the second half. Nutall's catch and shoot was quick and his length on defense will give opponents big problems. When the rotation is finally set, you have to think that KD and Zach will both be on the floor together the majority of every game.

This team has a high ceiling and I was pleased at how they all came together, especially this early.

I expect the Oregon game to be close, unless we start slow or get freaked out in the first road game. Oregon had a very similar score win against Texas Southern (86-63). I think McNeese was a great first opponent to get us ready for this game.

I thought the attendance was very respectable, more than I expected. There were still plenty of empty seats for these types of games when Brown was the coach. The one key difference, however, is how Brown mobilized the student attendance. We need to get that back.

Looking forward to Friday and the season!
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:26 pm

No mention of Phelps and the flexibility he is going to offer once he gets into the flow of the college game? I love having a longer PG available as we can all remember how Memphis smothered K.D. last year. Going to give the coaching staff a lot of options to match up better with opponents than we've seen in years. If Young continues to improve, this team can go big or go small and create problems for other teams and I agree this group on the whole is much more athletic than we've seen in recent years. Better enjoy this year because we will lose 7 or out best guys after this year. Jank said Tyler Lundblade is going to RS and I'm guessing he might earn a 'ship next year. Jalen Smith looked to me like he could become next year's Band (good defensive player and he knows he needs to get stronger to play that role). Going to have to find scorers in next year's recruiting class. Might have to come through the transfer portal.
Last edited by Charleston Pony on Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:36 pm

If Clark can keep that knee healthy, he’s all conference. He’s quiet, in a Tim Duncan kind of way. Love that guy. And love the Weathers brothers. And Nutall. I’m very happy with the talent infusion.

McNeese really had our number early. Adjustments at half totally shut that down.

Big Weathers reminds me of Marcus Kennedy. And little Weathers has jump out of the gym athleticism.
ponyboy

Postby PonyTime » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:53 am

Why did Yor Anei transfer? I must have missed that happening. He added some serious size and defense last year in his time on court.

Notice that he is at depaul, where he logged 4 min with no points or boards (but somehow managed to jack up a three pointer in his 4 min on the floor)
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:02 am

Anei seems to be somewhat of a malcontent. Silver lining is he left OSU and they made the NCAA tournament. Hopefully after leaving SMU we manage to make the NCAA tournament.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:09 am

Anei may have just been looking for a place he could get more minutes? Not sure, but he played very aggressively and tended to foul a lot so couldn't count on him for significant minutes. He was a good guy to have to spot your other bigs a few minutes because he did clog the lane
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:04 am

Anei has immense potential, but was completely undisciplined on both sides of the court. He is a freak in terms of size and athleticism. But he doesn't fit into any offensive or defensive construct. He will not be an effective part of a good team.

I want to see Michael W in more games, but I am afraid he might fit into a similar category on the offensive end. I love the energy and athleticism. But he did some negative things on the offensive end.

Phelps looks great. Physical guard for a frosh. The and 1 in the first half was really impressive.
JasonB

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:46 am

Coach mentioned that one of frosh decided to redshirt but can someone help with the rules for redshirting in basketball?
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:04 pm

Terry Webster wrote:Coach mentioned that one of frosh decided to redshirt but can someone help with the rules for redshirting in basketball?

Good decision by Tyler Lundblade who had to know he wouldn't see minutes this year but might have an opportunity to grab a 'ship next year?. I found this on RS rules

https://www.si.com/college/tmg/mark-bla ... l-redshirt
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:52 pm

McNeese bounced back with a 116-66 win against the Champion Christian Tigers tonight, whoever those guys are!
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Basketball