PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Heartbreaker

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Heartbreaker

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:04 pm

I think we blew it with LB. Sure he moved around, but always high-profile jobs…NBA, UCLA & Kansas. We only secured him because he was at the tail end of his career and still wanted to coach. 2 years after SMU he was coaching Auxilium Pallacanestro Torino, anybody ever hear of that team???

I think an argument could be made that at a minimum we could have kept him through 2018. I also suspect LB would rather be the HC of SMU than an assistant under Penny, but who knows.

We blew it with the handling of LB, we blew it by not protecting LB or Keith during the NCAA inquisition, by not fighting the heavy handed sanctions, we blew it by neutering the MOB, and of course ticking off the most loyal fans with the disastrous reseat. And now we’ve kept Jank too long.

Agree with Arkpony, this was a true Heartbreaker.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:07 pm

Good points. The handling of the MOB and the reseat were abject failures for sure.
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:39 pm

Agreed
Charleston Pony

Postby redpony » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:05 pm

SCP- couldn't agree more. I always felt LB really liked it here and might have stayed longer than normal had he not been run off.
redpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:28 pm

redpony wrote:SCP- couldn't agree more. I always felt LB really liked it here and might have stayed longer than normal had he not been run off.

IIRC he had a son in school at SMU who still had a couple more years before graduation and that may have offered another incentive to hang around...especially since LB was basketball royalty at SMU
Charleston Pony

Postby Terry Webster » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:00 pm

Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:34 pm

Terry Webster wrote:Hmm. Trouble in Memphis world.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/100 ... te-assh--e

I remember Coach Brown was quick to bench guys who took bad shots and failed to share the ball or were not playing good defense, blocking out and rebounding. So many times guys would pass up good looks to get the ball to someone who had an even better look. Lots of quick "touch" passes. Haven't watched Memphis but I'm guessing there is a lot of selfish one on one ball being played
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Basketball