PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

GAME THREAD: MBB vs. Vanderbilt

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: GAME THREAD: MBB vs. Vanderbilt

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:02 pm

Great 2nd half D. Vandy started hot but finished shooting under 40%
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:04 pm

What an amazing second half and comeback! Great to see!
mustangxc

Postby Terry Webster » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:21 pm

Outside of the last 5 minutes of the first half that was a great job. Kudo's to Jank for the halftime adjustments.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:48 pm

Really impressed by how our guys fought back and took over that game in the 2nd half. Won't get any easier against Dayton next week...a team that has now won 5 straight including wins vs Miami, Kansas and Belmont. All pretty good teams. Hope they can continue defending Moody!
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyPride » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:03 pm

Pretty interesting press conference. Video coming shortly.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby ponyboy » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:27 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Really impressed by how our guys fought back and took over that game in the 2nd half. Won't get any easier against Dayton next week...a team that has now won 5 straight including wins vs Miami, Kansas and Belmont. All pretty good teams. Hope they can continue defending Moody!

Wow, Dayton lost to Lipscomb, Austin Peay, UMass-Lowell before those wins over the Hurricanes and the Jayhawks. Talk about a tale of two teams.
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:30 pm

ponyboy wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Really impressed by how our guys fought back and took over that game in the 2nd half. Won't get any easier against Dayton next week...a team that has now won 5 straight including wins vs Miami, Kansas and Belmont. All pretty good teams. Hope they can continue defending Moody!

Wow, Dayton lost to Lipscomb, Austin Peay, UMass-Lowell before those wins over the Hurricanes and the Jayhawks. Talk about a tale of two teams.

Not unlike what we've watched our Mustangs do this past week
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:36 pm

Not that similar. Who have we beaten? I don't see KU on our schedule. If anything Dayton is our KU. We need to win that game.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:42 pm

mustangxc wrote:Not that similar. Who have we beaten? I don't see KU on our schedule. If anything Dayton is our KU. We need to win that game.

Wasn't suggesting our guys would beat Kansas or any top ranked team, but the team that won these last 3 games would have made a much better showing in Jacksonville than they did.
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:47 pm

Though theirs is the more dramatic, point taken, CP.
ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:52 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
mustangxc wrote:Not that similar. Who have we beaten? I don't see KU on our schedule. If anything Dayton is our KU. We need to win that game.

Wasn't suggesting our guys would beat Kansas or any top ranked team, but the team that won these last 3 games would have made a much better showing in Jacksonville than they did.

I'm not convinced we've turned it around. We lost those games after having massive leads. The last game was a win after trailing. Our problems are not about talent, it is all about mentality. We get a big lead and don't have a killer instinct. I think we need to trail at halftime or be about even in order to keep playing hard, if not the team relaxes and gets beat. That is one of the biggest issues with Jankovich as a head coach, he is too nice! All the players love him because he is a players coach. When we lose he always has the awe shucks attitude rather than the tomorrow this team is going to run until they all vomit from suicide drills. The talent is there and that is the most infuriating thing. We keep wasting all of our talent year after year. I really do hope our players read this message board and take some more pride in their conditioning and continue to grind when they are up.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:19 pm

mustangxc wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:

I'm not convinced we've turned it around. We lost those games after having massive leads. The last game was a win after trailing. Our problems are not about talent, it is all about mentality. We get a big lead and don't have a killer instinct. I think we need to trail at halftime or be about even in order to keep playing hard, if not the team relaxes and gets beat. That is one of the biggest issues with Jankovich as a head coach, he is too nice! All the players love him because he is a players coach. When we lose he always has the awe shucks attitude rather than the tomorrow this team is going to run until they all vomit from suicide drills. The talent is there and that is the most infuriating thing. We keep wasting all of our talent year after year. I really do hope our players read this message board and take some more pride in their conditioning and continue to grind when they are up.

I agree that our guys have not shown the killer instinct you would like to see and given the apparent talent level and competition for minutes, you would think they would go hard at every opportunity they are given. It's up to Jank and the coaching staff to respond and control guys' minutes based on their production and effort and clearly they are still trying to figure things out. I liked what I saw early from Jalen Smith and I'm pleased to see him getting more minutes and his recent starts
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Basketball