PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU NET rankings

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU NET rankings

Postby Terry Webster » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:18 pm

ponyboy wrote:Setting up nicely for a great game if we can get through Temple. This is fun, what it’s all about.

I just hope with LB being back at Moody the SMU folks cheer for us.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:28 am

As disappointing as SMU (sitting at 46) losing to Temple (118) was last night, I see UNC (37) suffered a home loss to Pittsburg (179) last night 76-67. Plenty of ups and down in college basketball. UNLV (105) goes on the road and wins at Fresno (63) last night. Keep those upsets coming...just no more involving our guys, please.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby indianmustang » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:28 am

down to 49
Beat Memphis and everything is back to normal
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby indianmustang » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:14 am

upto 47
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:46 am

Memphis remains 2 slots better than SMU (44 vs 46) despite our season sweep and better record. Go figure, but clearly it's a credit to their non-conference schedule compared to ours. They really did play a challenging non-conference schedule
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:26 am

We also lost to one of the worst teams in the country in Loyola Marymount. That is one loss that was terrible at the time and has only gotten worse as the season has progressed. If we miss out on the NCAA tournament it will be due to poor scheduling and one atrocious weekend. Win out and leave no doubt!
mustangxc

Postby ponyboy » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:38 am

Yep, that one loss is what’s keeping us below Memphis - despite the fact that we have materially better Q1, Q2, and Q3 numbers than them. I can’t remember, does NET emphasize recent performance? It appears that it might not.
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:58 am

NET doesn't consider "timing" of anything. I would think the committee, who looks at last 10 games will see that SMU had a huge roster turnover and took time to gel.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... -explained

NOTE: "Game date and game order were not included in the NET rankings so a team's first game counts the same as its 30th."
Charleston Pony

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:00 pm

If we go 3-1 with our only loss to Houston on the road, as long as it isn't a train wreck like Memphis last night, I think we will be ok....might be a play in game.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:32 pm

I think we need 5 more wins including the conference tournament to lock up a bid and can't lose to Tulsa. 4 may be enough, but we'd be sweating out Selection Sunday.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:29 pm

This SMU team will go as far as it's 3 point shooting will take it. SMU is currently the 41st best 3 point shooting team in the NCAA and 2nd in the AAC (behind Tulane). When our guys are knocking down threes, they can play with Top 25 teams and we do have bunch of guys who can shoot the three.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-m ... t/team/152
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony ^ » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:52 pm

mustangxc wrote:I think we need 5 more wins including the conference tournament to lock up a bid and can't lose to Tulsa. 4 may be enough, but we'd be sweating out Selection Sunday.

We will sweat out selection Sunday even if we finish the season with no more losses. That's the SMU way. Zero respect.
Pony ^

Postby geezerdonk » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:00 pm

Respect is something that is earned. It takes a lot more than a single win against a hobbled Houston team to earn any kind of respect. Lack of respect is also something that is earned. SMU's schedule and SMU's losses to poor teams has resulted in the current zero respect.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:18 pm

Kinda like your posts. Consistently anti-SMU. Thus, zero respect.
ponyboy

Postby PonyTime » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:12 pm

geezerdonk wrote:Respect is something that is earned. It takes a lot more than a single win against a hobbled Houston team to earn any kind of respect. Lack of respect is also something that is earned. SMU's schedule and SMU's losses to poor teams has resulted in the current zero respect.

I can only assume you respected the four years of Larry that were amazing and unlike anything in SMU's history, but I have to ask - did you respect any team in the preceding 25 year period?

I have to ask because this team that is playing RIGHT NOW is playing at a higher level than anything rolled out in the Shumate, Dement, Tubbs, and Doh eras (and that includes some pretty good teams in the Dement days and a SWC champion team in '92).
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball