PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Season's most disappointing teams so far

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Season's most disappointing teams so far

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:46 am

Can't prove this by us:

From CBS Sports

There's still time to figure things out, obviously, but Oregon is off to a surprisingly awful start. And it's not just that the Ducks are 5-4 overall and 0-3 against top-75 KenPom opponents after starting the season ranked in the top 15 of The Associated Press Top 25 poll. It's that three of those losses were by double-digits and two of them were complete blowouts. BYU beat Oregon 81-49. Then Houston beat Oregon 78-49. Before this season, the Ducks hadn't lost a game by at least 20 points since February 2019. Last month, they lost two by 29. So Dana Altman has some real work to do. A few weeks ago, Oregon competing for a third straight Pac-12 title seemed like a likely scenario. Now, not so much. -- Gary Parrish
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Season's most disappointing teams so far

Postby mustangxc » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:45 pm

All of our losses have been terrible and keep getting worse! We really need to win all our remaining non-conference games and then steamroll this conference. Even then, I think we will probably be on the outside looking in but one can hope.
mustangxc

Postby ponyboy » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:51 pm

It’s a little early to start a panic thread, but tonight’s game is important for sure. I do like this team.
ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:57 pm

It's not panic. It's being realistic. Jankovic/Hart set us up for failure with an atrocious non-conference schedule. It is nearly impossible to recover from 3 quadrant 3-4 losses without making up for it with several quadrant 1 wins. We didn't give ourselves any opportunity to do so. Hopefully we keep winning and either put up gaudy amount of wins and win the conference regular season or tournament titles but I think the door is almost shut on us making it as the 3rd or 4th best team in the conference given our bad losses.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:10 am

mustangxc wrote:It's not panic. It's being realistic. Jankovic/Hart set us up for failure with an atrocious non-conference schedule. It is nearly impossible to recover from 3 quadrant 3-4 losses without making up for it with several quadrant 1 wins. We didn't give ourselves any opportunity to do so. Hopefully we keep winning and either put up gaudy amount of wins and win the conference regular season or tournament titles but I think the door is almost shut on us making it as the 3rd or 4th best team in the conference given our bad losses.

Probably have to beat both Houston and Memphis in Moody to offset those bad losses
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:19 pm

Scratching my head at the assertion that the non-conference schedule is atrocious.
ponyboy

Postby JasonB » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:29 pm

Keep in mind that Mizzou and Oregon will move up in NET just because of the leagues they play in. So they won't have as bad of a calculation in the end, even if Mizzou is towards the bottom of the SEC.

Oregon will be much better the second half of the season and do okay in the PAC 12. And Dayton will have a good year in the A-10. They will get better and better with that young team as the season goes along.

The Dayton win was really big. We did not matchup well against them, but still winning that game shows how far the team has come since the bad tourney. Much more of a statement than Vandy or UNLV.
JasonB

Postby The PonyGrad » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:33 pm

JasonB wrote:Keep in mind that Mizzou and Oregon will move up in NET just because of the leagues they play in. So they won't have as bad of a calculation in the end, even if Mizzou is towards the bottom of the SEC.

Oregon will be much better the second half of the season and do okay in the PAC 12. And Dayton will have a good year in the A-10. They will get better and better with that young team as the season goes along.

The Dayton win was really big. We did not matchup well against them, but still winning that game shows how far the team has come since the bad tourney. Much more of a statement than Vandy or UNLV.

And with all the freshmen Dayton will only get better.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby ponyboy » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:47 pm

We moved up 13 spots with the win.
ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:08 pm

ponyboy wrote:Scratching my head at the assertion that the non-conference schedule is atrocious.

0 Quad 1 games
1 Quad 2 game
2 Quad 3 games
8 Quad 4 games with 2 losses

That is pretty bad. Especially since we lost 2 of our Quad 4 games. If we were in the BIG, Big XII, Big East we would have several Quad 1 opportunities to try to make up for our horrible losses but we aren't so our opportunities will be extremely limited going forward. At this point I don't see the selection committee leaving us out if we win the regular season title no matter our Quad 4 losses, but if we don't I don't see us making the NCAA tournament unless we win the conference tournament.
mustangxc

Postby JasonB » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:58 am

mustangxc wrote:
ponyboy wrote:Scratching my head at the assertion that the non-conference schedule is atrocious.

0 Quad 1 games
1 Quad 2 game
2 Quad 3 games
8 Quad 4 games with 2 losses

That is pretty bad. Especially since we lost 2 of our Quad 4 games. If we were in the BIG, Big XII, Big East we would have several Quad 1 opportunities to try to make up for our horrible losses but we aren't so our opportunities will be extremely limited going forward. At this point I don't see the selection committee leaving us out if we win the regular season title no matter our Quad 4 losses, but if we don't I don't see us making the NCAA tournament unless we win the conference tournament.

I think those numbers will change as the season goes along. Not only will our current opponents improve their NET, but we have 5 top 75 NET teams in our own conference to play against. I believe we will be a 3 bid conference this year.
JasonB

Postby EastStang » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:16 pm

Remember Vandy is in the SEC and will probably steal a game or two. So their numbers will go up as well. We just need to play well in conference No losses to crappy teams and beat UH, Memphis and Cincy.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby mustangxc » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:23 pm

Vandy is not the problem, as we won that game. We need Loyola Marymount to upset Gonzaga, BYU, USF, St. Mary's in order to have them be a quadrant 2 loss and not a quadrant 4 loss. We also need Missouri to upset Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, etc. to move from a quadrant 4 loss to a quadrant 2 or 3 loss. We don't have the schedule to make up for our abominable losses.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:44 am

And Vandy lost at home last night to a pretty good (9-2) Loyola-Chicago team that has wins @ DePaul and @ AZ State and losses to only Michigan State and Auburn
Charleston Pony

Return to Basketball