PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Auxilium Torino 2.0 in Memphis?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Auxilium Torino 2.0 in Memphis?

Postby GHammond » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:53 am

Has the LB magic wanned? 5-19 at AT in Italy and now the vaunted Memphis State Tigers are riding a three game losing streak with L’s to Iowa St, Geo, and Ole [deleted]. Media now calling the Murray State game tonight a MUST WIN!!! What’s going on in Memphis? How much influence does Larry have?
GHammond
Varsity

Re: Auxilium Torino 2.0 in Memphis?

Postby mustangxc » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:27 pm

He didn't pick the Memphis roster. Penny has been amazing at recruiting, but horrible at roster management. He doesn't care if he signs 13 combo guards as long as they are 4 or 5 star recruits. You don't win that way. Basketball is a team sport and as such he needs guards, forwards, centers and for some to be star players and others to be role players. Remember, Brown ran off some talented players at SMU including Jalen Jones who went to Texas A&M and another kid who went to Utah. Both became star players for their respective teams but did not fit into what Brown was trying to do.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:39 am

Penny is no Larry Brown. Has to be awkward and frustrating for LB to watch what is going on there
Charleston Pony

Postby Arpony » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:12 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Penny is no Larry Brown. Has to be awkward and frustrating for LB to watch what is going on there

That was my feeling. Larry must have to bite his tongue on occasions watching Hardaway coach.
Arpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:43 pm

I remember being in town on one occasion and stopping by Moody to watch a practice during the LB years. Not the most fluid practice I'd ever witnessed. Seems like Coach Brown was constantly stopping play and teaching/preaching the "right way" to play. Somehow I doubt the practice environment in Memphis is anything close to what Brown ran at SMU.

Wasn't the famous "We talkin' 'bout practice" quote from Allen Iverson under Larry Brown when he was coaching the Sixers? Even Iverson came to respect and appreciate Coach Brown.

It's going to be fun when Memphis comes to Moody - Sunday afternoon Feb 20th. Hope Moody will be packed for that game
Charleston Pony

Return to Basketball