PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Game thread: MBB at New Mexico

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Game thread: MBB at New Mexico

Postby PonyPride » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:01 pm

Jalen Smith's corner 3 makes it 90-72
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:01 pm

A very nice win! I would put it up next to the Dayton win given that this was on the road immediately following final exams which is usually a struggle for our team.
mustangxc

Postby PonyPride » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:02 pm

FINAL

SMU 90, UNM 72

Mustangs with 6 straight wins
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:04 pm

Surprised to hear that was SMU's 1st ever win vs New Mexico and that we only played 3 times when we were both in the WAC. Almost forgot how the WAC was divided into those 4 team "pods"
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:05 pm

mustangxc wrote:A very nice win! I would put it up next to the Dayton win given that this was on the road immediately following final exams which is usually a struggle for our team.

A road win after the long layoff for exams is good no matter who the opponent
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:08 pm

Both teams shot 26 threes but our guys made 4 more than UNM
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:09 pm

48-32 rebounding advantage for SMU after Jank said that was something these guys really needed to improve on
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:19 pm

I think New Mexico also contributed on that rebounding disparity by giving up on rebounds and running back to get on defense. I seldom saw a single UNM body trying for an offensive rebound. Still, it was great to see.
mustangxc

Postby shadowman » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:43 pm

Nice win after the exam break. New Mexico had a couple of players that could play but they were surrounded by young players that just weren't very good. But, still a road win in a historically tough place to play.

KD took over the game and allowed us to coast. Nutall started out hot but then went cold and got in foul trouble. Same for Band.

Can someone please talk to Michael Weathers. He is no longer playing in the SWAC and he is also not 6ft 9in, although you certainly cannot tell it by the way he likes to put his head down and take it to the hole pretty much every time he touches the ball. He has done this all season long with the same results. He gets in there and puts up an ugly looking shot with these 5 results in order of occurance:

-It misses, usually badly
-It gets blocked or altered
-He is called for a charge
-He is fouled
-It actually goes in (about 5% of the time)

I love his hustle and quickness and his defense, but he needs to realize his offensive strategy is not working at this level. Go for the assist or pull up for a mid range jump shot, heck, even take a 3, just quit doing that drive to the hole every play!

Also, I wonder why Young did not play. He has been coming on. It looked like he was on the bench but he did not get in the game. Even Agunanne came in for a few minutes. You have to think he was either hurt, in the dog house, or a grade problem. Hopefully everything is OK.

Ready for Evansville and then on to Conference Play!
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:12 pm

shadowman wrote:Can someone please talk to Michael Weathers. He is no longer playing in the SWAC and he is also not 6ft 9in, although you certainly cannot tell it by the way he likes to put his head down and take it to the hole pretty much every time he touches the ball. He has done this all season long with the same results.

Michael is an incredibly aggressive player so we have to take the good with the bad. He pulled down 10 boards to lead the team and had one assist and one steal to help offset his 2 turnovers today but hit only 3-9 FGs which is slightly below his 36% season average. Have to trust the coaching staff to regulate minutes and determine whether he is helping or hurting because his play does both at times.
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:20 pm

Somebody just needs to introduce the word “pass” into his vocabulary. That addition could make him potentially all conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:17 pm

mrydel wrote:Somebody just needs to introduce the word “pass” into his vocabulary. That addition could make him potentially all conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael is one of only 2 guards on the roster (Zhuric Phelps being the other) with a negative assist to turnover ratio, yet he has just one fewer assist than Bandoumel who averages 6 more minutes per game than Weathers, who runs a lot at PG. I agree that if he plays more under control he could really have a special season
Last edited by Charleston Pony on Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charleston Pony

Postby masterbeater » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:27 pm

My first time to a game in the Pit. Only about 40% full today but crowd loud when their team made a play or cut into the lead, wish we had that crowd support at home. I was impressed on how our team responded to every push by UNM to cut the lead and get back in the game.
They had no answer for KD in the second half- he was a beast. UNM fans sitting next to me just shaking their heads in amazement. Good game!
masterbeater
Scout Team

Postby shadowman » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:54 am

Way to represent SMU!

On TV, I saw two ladies in SMU shirts right behind the New Mexico bench. How many SMU shirts did you see?
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby masterbeater » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:13 pm

Just a handful of blue shirts in the arena, probably less than 10 (although I was incognito in a red sweater!)
masterbeater
Scout Team

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball